Topics

540 kHz UnID-- Australian English Assistance Needed (Again)

Gary DeBock

This 540 kHz recording was made in Poipu, Hawaii at 1503 UTC on November 6th, and features a male speaker giving some sports news and a weather report. I suspect this is 540-4QL in Longreach, Australia with some local programming. The signal is strong enough, but with the accent I can't really pick out any local names to make sure the signal isn't Rhema from NZ. The weather report seems to have quite a few place names, all unfamiliar to me. Any Australian or NZ native speaker could probably dig out all the details very easily... help!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/2842z2ptalg40wu9368645fbb79u76he

73, Gary DeBock (DXing in Poipu, Hawaii from November 2-8)

William Renton

Hi Gary,

This is definitely the Kiwi with NZ English and mention of NZ weather including ‘Gisborne, Hawkes Bay and Wairarapa’.

Best regards,

Will.

On 3 Dec 2019, at 22:45, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

This 540 kHz recording was made in Poipu, Hawaii at 1503 UTC on November 6th, and features a male speaker giving some sports news and a weather report. I suspect this is 540-4QL in Longreach, Australia with some local programming. The signal is strong enough, but with the accent I can't really pick out any local names to make sure the signal isn't Rhema from NZ. The weather report seems to have quite a few place names, all unfamiliar to me. Any Australian or NZ native speaker could probably dig out all the details very easily... help!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/2842z2ptalg40wu9368645fbb79u76he

73, Gary DeBock (DXing in Poipu, Hawaii from November 2-8)

Andy ZL3AG

Hi Gary,

Had a quick listen - heading off to bed soon. Definitely Kiwi.

Talking about English football:
"...cup holders Liverpool..."

then later NZ weather:

" ...Southern Wairarapa... Manawatu..."Horowhenua through to Wellington, partly cloudy with a few spots of light rain, Nelson/Malborough cloudy periods... ...heavy about the ranges. For Canterbury, mostly cloudy with scattered light rain, Otago/Southland..."

Cheers,

Andy
(Member NZRDXL)

On 4/12/19 12:45 am, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io wrote:
This 540 kHz recording was made in Poipu, Hawaii at 1503 UTC on November 6th, and features a male speaker giving some sports news and a weather report. I suspect this is 540-4QL in Longreach, Australia with some local programming. The signal is strong enough, but with the accent I can't really pick out any local names to make sure the signal isn't Rhema from NZ. The weather report seems to have quite a few place names, all unfamiliar to me. Any Australian or NZ native speaker could probably dig out all the details very easily... help! https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/2842z2ptalg40wu9368645fbb79u76he
73, Gary DeBock (DXing in Poipu, Hawaii from November 2-8)
_._,_._,_

Richard Allen

Gary:

It’s definitely New Zealand.  Hawks Bay & Gisborne are on the east coast of the North Island of Aotearoa.

Good listening.

Richard Allen.

On Dec 3, 2019, at 05:45, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

This 540 kHz recording was made in Poipu, Hawaii at 1503 UTC on November 6th, and features a male speaker giving some sports news and a weather report. I suspect this is 540-4QL in Longreach, Australia with some local programming. The signal is strong enough, but with the accent I can't really pick out any local names to make sure the signal isn't Rhema from NZ. The weather report seems to have quite a few place names, all unfamiliar to me. Any Australian or NZ native speaker could probably dig out all the details very easily... help!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/2842z2ptalg40wu9368645fbb79u76he

73, Gary DeBock (DXing in Poipu, Hawaii from November 2-8)

Gary DeBock

Thanks William, Andy and Richard,

Your helpful assistance on deciphering 540-Rhema's Kiwi English is greatly appreciated! I never could have figured any of this out by myself.

You would think that after having "discovered" the New Zealand MW-DX oriented "Kiwi Cliff" on the Oregon coast in 2011 I would at least have made some progress in understanding the Kiwi English accent, but to me the Japanese and Cantonese recordings are easier to figure out. Kiwi English and Maori seem equally challenging.

A few years back I sent a strange UnID language recording to my Kiwi transplant buddy Theo Donnelly, asking for his opinion of the language. He immediately chastised me for not recognizing that it was Kiwi English.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Nothing local to me so I agree with the above.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

radiojayallen

One thing I love about this string is how the internet has let us pool our resources. Before the internet many (if not most) of us were all by ourselves in our hobby, but I have met many people thanks to online discussions. With all the negative press social media gets these days I just wanted to point out one of its positive aspects.

Jay

Vimal

Well said,I agree with you.