Holiday - Possible DXing Targets

Paul Blundell

Next month I have two holidays booked:
- The first is a cruise with my wife, for this I will be taking my TEAC PR130 and going "bare foot".
- The second is a driving holiday with my wife and children, for this I am hoping to be able to bring my 3" FSL and kit.

What experience do others have with taking radios on a cruise boat, I think trying to get my 3" FSL on board might be an issue? I am preparing a list of frequencies to try and those that should be "clear" for some possible DX.

With my second trip, we are driving so will be able to stop on the way, between Melbourne and Brisbane, any good radio spots worth trying to get to / see? I am thinking of making the focus on DX more on the way back down. We are getting the boat across bass straight.

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Paul Blundell

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 10:37 AM Paul Blundell via Groups.Io <tanger32au=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

William Renton

Hi Paul,

I live in Sydney, Australia, and have some experience DXing along the coast from Melbourne to Brisbane. The Tasman Sea coast (NSW) is better for overseas DX. Down near Melbourne you will likely only receive Australia and NZ stuff, unless you happen to get lucky with a freak opening to Asia.

My favoured locations along the Tasman Sea coast, from south to north, are:

* Tathra Headland [-36.726430, 149.989649]. Large park with picnic tables. Tathra is a very nice place to spend a night also.

* Dalmeny Headland [-36.171194, 150.134718]. There is a nice lookout over the water and it's not too crowded. You can go in front of the lookout onto a small grassed area and not be seen from the road also. Dalmeny is also a nice holiday town with plenty of Air BNB accommodation.

* Wombarra Rock Pool [-34.2793039, 150.9561688]. Near Wollongong. Nice spot right on the beach with two picnic tables, plus a little area above the beach which has a stone slab to rest a loop on. Can get crowded, especially in the summer months. Other locations in the vicinity feature high cliffs with direct ocean frontage, similar to Gary De Bock's Oregon spots.

* Tania Park, Balgowlah Heights [-33.8085494, 151.2689282]. Within the Sydney metropolitan area but away from the local blowtorches. High spot overlooking Manly Beach. I haven't tried this location personally but it's a favoured spot for amateur radio enthusiasts. I have tried nearby Mona Vale with good results.

* Boambee Headland, Sawtell: [-30.3556314, 153.1017145]. Near Coffs Harbour. High headland with picnic tables. Can get very crowded even in winter.

* Woolgoolga Headland, Woolgoolga [-30.131628, 153.1685083]. Just north of Coffs Harbour. High headland with central stone bench, lookout. Extremely crowded though.

* North Stradbroke Island/Point Lookout. This large island is accessed by ferry from Brisbane's southern suburbs. I haven't tried it but I'm sure the results would be impressive, especially on the seaward side near the village of Point Lookout. Best to stay on the island as the last ferry back to the mainland is just after dark (which is why I didn't make the trip). I did go to Bribie Island, just north of Brisbane, but the results there weren't all that great.

Hope this helps and have a great trip,

William Renton
Sydney, Australia.

(PS- If you do end up going to Wombarra or Balgowlah Heights, let me know!)

Gary DeBock

Hello William (and Paul),

Welcome to the group, William!

Since long range Australian DX is one of our annual targets at the Rockwork ocean cliff in Oregon, I have always had a special interest in your country's stations, as well as Australian DXers. In a couple of weeks Chris Rogers of Narre Warren, Victoria will be joining Craig Barnes and yours truly in an Ultralight DXpedition to Poipu, Hawaii, which is a tremendous stroke of luck for us. He is very skillful in chasing South American and Caribbean DX, having just scored amazing results in his June Rarotonga trip. That type of DX never shows up at the Rockwork cliff, which tends to block out any type DX not coming from the South Pacific. So we would have been willing to trade three first round draft picks in order to get him! :-) Of course DXing in Hawaii is a tough job with many distractions, but somebody's got to do it (photo attached).

Have fun during your cruise, Paul, and may the Ferrite Force be with you!

73, Gary DeBock, N7EKX (in Puyallup, WA, USA)