Group Stats / Future Plans

Paul Blundell

Hi all.

Over the past few years I have been keeping some stats on the group, as can be seen in the link below.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5_5JtXlNybI/XZWEJYTYEGI/AAAAAAAAK8g/5i7NwxlGAO4h_UcaqvxTt91CpyRa0HBIwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/GroupStats_October2019JPG.JPG

What I would love to see is the group to return to the previous activity levels of the past with some robust discussions going on, the sharing of loggings, DXing adventures, photos of these and more interaction. Are we all to a "comfortable" level where we are just going along or can we do something to fire ourselves and the hobby back up?

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Michael.2E0IHW

Paul an all : this is probably to be expected. Most of the
possible DX catches will have been logged; there will
be few transmitters left which have not yet been heard.
This might change when sunspots allow, of course.

Not all of us will have a high-spec FSL, or be able
to travel to oceansidse sweet-spots.

One aspect which would merit ongoing exchanges
is building variants of all shapes, weights and
sizes of the FSL, perhaps including versions
for 160m which would enhance listening to
ham traffic amidst otherwise swamping QRM.

Comments?

Michael UK

On 03/10/2019 06:23, Paul Blundell wrote:
Hi all.
Over the past few years I have been keeping some stats on the group, as can be seen in the link below.
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5_5JtXlNybI/XZWEJYTYEGI/AAAAAAAAK8g/5i7NwxlGAO4h_UcaqvxTt91CpyRa0HBIwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/GroupStats_October2019JPG.JPG
What I would love to see is the group to return to the previous activity levels of the past with some robust discussions going on, the sharing of loggings, DXing adventures, photos of these and more interaction. Are we all to a "comfortable" level where we are just going along or can we do something to fire ourselves and the hobby back up?
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the reply.

I love seeing and hearing about other people's loggings, results and adventures, I was hoping to see more of this. If conditions improve I would love to see us get some challenges happening. I know the SOTA crowd are running some monthly challenges in 2020.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 6:26 PM blumu via Groups.Io <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Paul an all :  this is probably to be expected. Most of the
possible DX catches will have been logged; there will
be few transmitters left which have not yet been heard.
This might change when sunspots allow, of course.

Not all of us will have a high-spec FSL, or be able
to travel to oceansidse sweet-spots.

One aspect which would merit ongoing exchanges
is building variants of all shapes, weights and
sizes of the FSL,  perhaps including versions
for 160m which would enhance listening to
ham traffic amidst otherwise swamping QRM.

Comments?

Michael UK

On 03/10/2019 06:23, Paul Blundell wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Over the past few years I have been keeping some stats on the group, as
> can be seen in the link below.
>
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5_5JtXlNybI/XZWEJYTYEGI/AAAAAAAAK8g/5i7NwxlGAO4h_UcaqvxTt91CpyRa0HBIwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/GroupStats_October2019JPG.JPG
>
> What I would love to see is the group to return to the previous activity
> levels of the past with some robust discussions going on, the sharing of
> loggings, DXing adventures, photos of these and more interaction. Are we
> all to a "comfortable" level where we are just going along or can we do
> something to fire ourselves and the hobby back up?
>
> --
> Paul - Moderator
> UltralightDX

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Majid Hussain

hi there,
i'm a newbie to the list, i'm a lerker!
hows about radio reviews?
example the tecson pl310et?
and how good they are in regards to dxing?
note, the pl310et was an example, it's my fav radio!
it's the best i've got so far.
love the am filters on it!
I hope this is of some help!
thanks for letting me on this wonderful list! :) :)
Majid

On 04/10/2019, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
[...]

kind regards,
Majid Hussain

Gary DeBock

Hello Majid,

Welcome to the group!

There is a detailed Tecsun PL-310ET review posted at the following link (along with detailed reviews of four other Ultralight radios)  https://swling.com/blog/2015/03/gary-debocks-2015-ultralight-radio-shootout-review/

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

--
kind regards,
Majid Hussain

Majid Hussain

hey there gary!
thanks for the link going to give it a look!
thanks again!
Majid

On 04/10/2019, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:
[...]

keith beesley

Hi Paul and group,

I have not been actively DXing much lately, aside from the occasional bandscan on the car radio, etc. Tried for some FM this past N. hemisphere summer but didn't hear anything this year.

With our fall/winter season approaching, I want to get back into it. Will try to post some loggings here as time permits.

Regards,

Keith Beesley
Seattle WA USA

On Thursday, October 3, 2019, 01:26:29 AM PDT, blumu via Groups.Io <blumu@...> wrote:

Paul an all :  this is probably to be expected. Most of the
possible DX catches will have been logged; there will
be few transmitters left which have not yet been heard.
This might change when sunspots allow, of course.

Not all of us will have a high-spec FSL, or be able
to travel to oceansidse sweet-spots.

One aspect which would merit ongoing exchanges
is building variants of all shapes, weights and
sizes of the FSL,  perhaps including versions
for 160m which would enhance listening to
ham traffic amidst otherwise swamping QRM.

Comments?

Michael UK

On 03/10/2019 06:23, Paul Blundell wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Over the past few years I have been keeping some stats on the group, as
> can be seen in the link below.
>
> https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5_5JtXlNybI/XZWEJYTYEGI/AAAAAAAAK8g/5i7NwxlGAO4h_UcaqvxTt91CpyRa0HBIwCLcBGAsYHQ/s1600/GroupStats_October2019JPG.JPG
>
> What I would love to see is the group to return to the previous activity
> levels of the past with some robust discussions going on, the sharing of
> loggings, DXing adventures, photos of these and more interaction. Are we
> all to a "comfortable" level where we are just going along or can we do
> something to fire ourselves and the hobby back up?
>
> --
> Paul - Moderator
> UltralightDX

Paul Blundell

That is a good idea and something I can make a start in.

Paul

--
kind regards,
Majid Hussain

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Paul Blundell

Thanks Keith. I guess with me being over the other side of the world, I am active when a lot of you are not and vice versa.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Theo <theod438@...>

From memory, the original 'Yahoo!' group was about experiencing/testing/using a defined class (by physical size) of hand-held small receivers for DXing... that is, successfully catching stuff with same which for a lot of us would have been limited to more, um, professional/expensive equipment.  The receivers resulted from tech advances involving DSP micro-chips.

Our 'founder' was undoubtedly the late John Bryant.

Leave it at that.

We're about "DX'ing" or long-distance reception using that particular group of rx, combining receiver-tech success with knowledge of propagation variables (and defined probabilities -- e.g. you ain't gonna hear daytime Brazil in Western Australia).

Richard Allen in Oklahoma and Gary DeBock in Washington state still regularly support those ideals.

When the decision was made to switch to <groups.io>, I believe a discussion segment split off, though I never followed up on the opportunity.

Theo Donnelly
Burnaby, BC

Gary DeBock

<<<   We're about "DX'ing" or long-distance reception using that particular group of rx, combining receiver-tech success with knowledge of propagation variables (and defined probabilities -- e.g. you ain't gonna hear daytime Brazil in Western Australia).
Richard Allen in Oklahoma and Gary DeBock in Washington state still regularly support those ideals.   >>>

Kia Orana Theo,

I should be honest and admit that out of all of the Ultralight Radio DX-ploits over the past 11years, my biggest thrill has been to discover a plunging ocean side cliff that not only broke the west coast record for New Zealand reception, but shattered it completely. Kiwi signals rock at Rockwork!

Gary

Todd

Hi Gary,

With the demise of Yahoo Groups scheduled for Dec 14, 2019, I have the responsibility of transferring the ICDX, and ICDX Australia AM/FM/TV DX groups to the groups.io website.

I was automatically invited and transferred from the former Ultralight Radio Yahoo group. I didn't even need a password.

When creating a new groups.io group, there is the option of displaying all messages and content to anyone on the Internet. Even non-members can read posts. Does this create a potential problem with spam? If spammers have access to individual e-mail addresses in message posts, they could record this for later use. Has anyone had issues with increased spam associated with full public access DX discussion groups such as ultralightdx.groups.io?

If so, I may elect to create new groups as hidden from general public view, i.e. only members can view postings.

I gather the message posts and files transfer from Yahoo Groups was easy enough.

Regards,

Todd

Gary DeBock

Hi Todd,

<<<   When creating a new groups.io group, there is the option of displaying all messages and content to anyone on the Internet. Even non-members can read posts. Does this create a potential problem with spam? If spammers have access to individual e-mail addresses in message posts, they could record this for later use. Has anyone had issues with increased spam associated with full public access DX discussion groups such as ultralightdx.groups.io?

To my knowledge there haven't been any issues with spam postings to our new Groups.io site, although the previous Yahoo group site did have quite a few spam messages (which the Moderators quickly deleted, before they were widely viewed).

Groups.io has a requirement that initial messages from a new member must be approved by a Moderator before they can be posted-- a requirement that is actually a pretty good "spam filter." Any spammer that attempts to post on a Groups.io site would probably be given the boot by the Moderator before their spam message would ever be posted, and seen. As such, Groups.io sites are relatively spam-free.

As for a spammer using a list of email addresses to send out their spam, there isn't much of a defense against this. Spam emails are pervasive, but once you get a spam message you can always mark it as such, after which your spam filter should kick in and delete all such messages from the same sender in the future.

[...]

Andy ZL3AG

Private is the way to go, IMHO.

The group data transfer is easy, but no longer free. I imagine they're being bombarded with transfer requests right now, for the people who didn't see the writing on the wall years ago. groups.io is going down for maintenance soon for 2 hours- probably to upgrade their systems to cope with the onslaught!

The guy running groups.io is the one who originally built Yahoo Groups before Yahoo bought it out and screwed it up. Yahoo = Inverted Midas Touch.

On 17/10/19 5:36 pm, Todd via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi Gary,
With the demise of Yahoo Groups scheduled for Dec 14, 2019, I have the responsibility of transferring the ICDX, and ICDX Australia AM/FM/TV DX groups to the groups.io website.
I was automatically invited and transferred from the former Ultralight Radio Yahoo group. I didn't even need a password.
When creating a new groups.io group, there is the option of displaying all messages and content to anyone on the Internet. Even non-members can read posts. Does this create a potential problem with spam? If spammers have access to individual e-mail addresses in message posts, they could record this for later use. Has anyone had issues with increased spam associated with full public access DX discussion groups such as ultralightdx.groups.io? <https://ultralightdx.groups.io/>
If so, I may elect to create new groups as hidden from general public view, i.e. only members can view postings.
I gather the message posts and files transfer from Yahoo Groups was easy enough.
Regards,
Todd
_._,_._,_

Neil Goldstein

I always referred to that as the "SHIDAS Touch"

I see on some of my groups, people complaining about the "short notice".
We have been harping on this ever since Yahoo merged with AOL!

I worked for AOL and know their affinity for shutting down useful things, but YG was an awful platform for the last half-decade or so anyway.  When Verizon came into the picture and picked that amazing name (OATHmeal) the deal was done as far as I was concerned. Lucky that Flickr got spun out separately or all of that would be lost as well.

--
Neil Goldstein  W2NDG  WQXD361
http://www.neilgoldstein.com