1510 khz

patrice.privat

hi

new station for me here in France (start of the season)
Latina station in Spanish 1510 khz with lots of dancing music, who can it be ?
also Bloomberg faint on 1130.

Thanks

Patrice
Beauvais, France
Tecsun PL380 + AN200 mini loop

Paul S. in CT

This is a very interesting question. I will listen tonight on 1510.
In the meantime, the only answer I have after 14 years of ULDX is WMEX (former WWZN) from Boston, MA. Today I checked the FCC data, and results for "W", "C", and "X" ( USA-East, Canada/Cuba. and Mexico) turned up nothing else broadcasting in Spanish/Portugese.

Also, WMEX has been silent, with a new application to the FCC to reduce power to 10000 Watts day and 100 Watts night. The usual power is 50000 Watts day and night pointed at Europe... and over the years several people from Europe (especially England and France) reported hearing WWZN before the call-sign changed to WMEX. That change occured in 2016.

As a side-note 1500 and 1520 are also heard in your region, 1500 might have a baseball game on, and 1520 will talk sports or have a hockey game on late at night (even past midnight), your time. 1130 is WBBR and has been heard in Europe, along with 1110, 1140, 1170 and 1180 (All east-coast USA, or nearby).

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl

patrice.privat

Many thanks Paul.

Yes WWZN was one of my indicators of transatlantic propagation in the past. I'd like to know if they're back on the scene cause I suspect that it's the station I heard
though the music sounded more Caribbean than Mariachi/ Nortena.

WFED was not audible during the 15 mns or so that I monitored the band. 1620 was mute but Rebelde was very faintly detectable on 670.
No trace of Family Radio on 1570.

I still got a lot of noise on the band, might be the early season (it's still summer); I hope it's not the new Linky electricity meter that they installed in my village (it's supposed to transmit data
to a local hub , but not sure they use radio for that).

Situation is always interesting here in winter; some mornings it's all for the X band and nothing on lower frequencies, some other days it's VOCM-590 booming like a European and there's no transat over 1 mhz. Exciting !!

last winter I was lucky to get Argentina on 1350.
Also we're heading into the season when India and China pop in.

Cheers

Andy

I used to work at WMEX (very long time ago).

Indeed they have been "silent" (not broadcasting) for the last two years, with few exceptions which were very brief and at greatly reduced power.  They are awaiting new power distribution to their newest transmitter location, which has moved from Quincy to Waltham and back to a new Quincy location (all near Boston), where it will share a tower with another radio station.  Its transmitted power once was 50 KW, but no more.  I think it will eventually be 10 KW in the day, and much less at night.  They have a new owner since last year.  The format will be "oldies" rock, with English-speaking announcers.  If you heard anything recently in Spanish, it wasn't WMEX.

Many in the Boston area have been waiting for months for WMEX 1510 to return to on-air status.  It hasn't yet.  New studios need to be built from scratch.  I believe the new 10 KW transmitter is in place, but the AC power feed to it might not be finished yet, based on what I read elsewhere.  People keep asking them "when", and the answer always is "later" or "soon".  The last estimate I saw was "September" but that was a month ago and it seems the estimates are always 1-2 months away.

It will have lower power than before and a non-directional antenna, so it is no longer beaming its signal away from other stations to the west that it was protecting from interference.

There were and I think still are other powerful USA radio stations on 1510.

Regards,
Andy
(former WMEX transmitter engineer, in another lifetime)

Paul Blundell

That is some great information. I am sure we all appreciate it.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Paul S. in CT

I did a search at mwlist.org and found one other possibility being Dominican Republic near Santo Domingo. Google maps shows the tower.
Name is Radio Pueblo HIC67 (former HIBL). Might be what you heard.
Power is 10000 Watts.

Regards
Paul S. in CT

radiojayallen

Exciting. I would love to hear WMEX 1520 again.

Jay

Peter Laws

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 11:14 PM Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

I used to work at WMEX (very long time ago).

and much less at night. They have a new owner since last year. The format will be "oldies" rock, with English-speaking announcers. If you heard anything
Wasn't WMEX on 1150 (in the 1980s anyway) with an oldies format?

Andy

re: "Wasn't WMEX on 1150 (in the 1980s anyway) with an oldies format?"

I think it was.  After the original WMEX (1510) abandoned "WMEX" and changed to WITS, followed by a string of other callsigns, someone else took over the "WMEX" moniker since it was up for grabs.  I think that station was the original WCOP, and is now WWDJ (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWDJ).

There is also a WMEX-LPFM, on the FM band in New Hampshire (https://radio-locator.com/info/WMEX-FL), having no actual relationship to either the original or the current WMEX (AM) owners.  These days, the FCC allows unrelated owners to have the same root callsign on different bands, with an -FM or -LP suffix for the one that's on FM.  The original WMEX never had an FM counterpart.

It's interesting to see how many radio stations have used "WMEX" since 1981: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WMEX

Andy

radiojayallen

Of course that was a typo...I meant 1520.