Ultimate Portable Ultralight Radio DXing Go Case - September 2019

Paul Blundell

I have been looking for a way to carry my portable radio collection and my other ultralight related items. I have used a variety of bags and cases in the past.
Recently I was out doing some shopping when I called passed my local Super Cheap Auto. Here I found this case on special for $22, I decided to replace my previous case as I found it was not working as well as I would have liked and as it didn’t keep the radio the right way up it added the risk of the aerial breaking off. I have also recently been sent a baby 3" FSL aerial which I wanted to carry and protect.

Last night I had some spare time so I sat down and set up this case. I cut some small pieces of timber to hold the aerial in the right location and added some thin MDF to divide the aerial section off from the front part where I will be storing my radios.

Overall, I am very pleased with how well this case has come out, I am able to carry and store my baby 3" FSL plus two small radios plus log sheets, pens, notes, spare batteries and ear phones, everything I need for portable sessions. It is also small enough to fit in my back pack.

While this case was designed for ultralight DXing the same ideas could be used for amateur radio, radio scanning or any other storage need.

Photos: https://ultralightradiodxingtasmania.blogspot.com/2019/09/ultimate-portable-ultralight-radio.html
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Vimal

Looking good!!

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 2:41 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
[...]

I suspect it would be too small, if you can send me the size I can check it out.

Paul

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 12:57 AM Jerry Rappel <ww0e@q.com> wrote:
Will this case hold the 3" FSL Tecsun PL-380?

Jerry

[...]

radiojayallen

Looks like a perfect fit!

Jay

Paul Blundell

It is, could not fit any better.

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019, 7:58 p.m. radiojayallen, <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
Looks like a perfect fit!

Jay

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Paul Blundell

Ultimate Portable Ultralight Radio DXing Go Case - September 2019

Update - 18/9/2019: After using this case with my 3" FSL aerial for a few weeks I have made a couple of changes.
I have now removed most of my log sheets from the foam in the lid and now keep these behind the 3" FSL aerial. This allows the foam to sit level and better protect the aerial.
I have also screwed my 3" FSL aerial to the base of the case and use this in the case. This has the benefits of protecting the 3" FSL aerial from damage, keeping it off the ground and also allowing me to lean my radio against it, this provides a great level of coupling to the aerial and leaving my hands free for logging.

Photos: https://ultralightradiodxingtasmania.blogspot.com/2019/09/ultimate-portable-ultralight-radio.html
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX