Innovative Ferrite Antennas Article

Gary DeBock

For the benefit of those who cannot attend the IRCA convention in Seattle, an 8-page article has been written detailing the recent innovations in ferrite antennas, including the latest "supercharged" travel portables and the airport-friendly FSL models demonstrating superior performance on exotic overseas ocean beaches.

The article details the four types of antennas offering four levels of ferrite antenna gain, and also four different types of DXing sites offering enhanced propagation for superior results with ferrite antennas. This is the same outline as the speech that will be given at the convention on Saturday, although the article contains additional photos and links  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/kp487ahn3wm3dd7rkb6thvddyt7wixgb

For those who can attend the convention on Saturday there will be a chance for "hands-on" daytime DXing with these ferrite antennas in the afternoon (weather permitting), including the 17" diameter Monster FSL (the world's largest, heaviest and costliest :-) Hope to see you there!

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the link Gary, I will have a good read over it.

Paul

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 10:18 PM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

radiojayallen

Gary,

Great article...I will save this one.

Jay

Vimal

Thanks Gary,
I enjoyed reading it.

Vimal Oberoi

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 6:30 PM radiojayallen <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
Gary,

Great article...I will save this one.

Jay

Dennis Breda

Gary,  Thank you very much for another superb article.  All the best for a wonderful convention.  I wish I could be there.

On Sep 5, 2019, at 8:18 AM, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Stephen P. McGreevy

Marvelous article, Gary!  What a lovely pic of your cliffside (Oregon) DXing site and the very blue sea -  I can hear the singing hetrodynes now!  Way back in the early-mid. 80s when I rolled out long (1100 ft. / 330m) Beverage antennas from a tent-DXing site atop Mount Vision (Inverness Ridge) in the Point Reyes NS - Marin County, Calif., the additional altitude of 1100 feet above sea-level (thus a much greater view out to the distant horizon) really ENHANCED TP DX - especially DUs and Hawaiians, compared to the near sea-level beachside DXpeditions.  It is possible the much farther-view of the horizon allows for the really low-angle "combined constructively-phased groundwave-skywave" effect to occur - TP signals would stay in post sunrise for longer periods compared to the near-sea level sites at Abbotts Lagoon and North Beach (all within Pt. Reyes National Seashore).  As such, I think that really FAR OUT horizon view in your photos in this article is also an added factor WHY TP DX is so superior there (as it was atop Mt. Vision for me).

73 and thanks a lot!,

Steve McGreevy

www.auroralchorus.com

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 05:18 AM, Gary DeBock wrote:
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/kp487ahn3wm3dd7rkb6thvddyt7wixgb

Stephen P. McGreevy

Oh yes, regarding flat-land/fertile soil DXing locations, during a long road trip and DXpedition I made to Manitoba, Canada - and all the way back westward to BC in September 1993, I rolled out a few end-fed wires in remote farm-fields where I could park for the night in my camper-van, and I was astounded at the strength and numbers of hets from the 9 kHz "splits" and caught some audio from a few DU stations too.  Also, in the evenings, some TA signals on MW and LW were audible with fair signals (the usual big TA sigs) - the 198 BBC signal was a telltale "wavery-carrier" (their phase-shift carrier time signal) and would appear by sunset.  I knew this all was due to the very flat-land terrain (low-angle skip!) and high-conductivity soil to boot.

In August 1996 from west-central Manitoba, during a combined "Natural ELF-VLF radio" recording expedition and LF-HF DXpedition, I rolled out a long, maybe about 1200-foot long "Beverage" wire pointed north-east (very arduous to do so in the thickly treed and boggy land there near Grass River Provincial Park but I could get it elevated a bit off the ground), and the TA's blasted in nightly, especially one evening - 30 August 1996, when the auroral-oval had "retreated" far southward, leaving TAs skipping into the "hole" of the oval thus the strong receptions.  The proximity to Hudson Bay and also the very flat terrain there made it somewhat like being by the seashore!

73 - Steve

Gary DeBock

Stephen, Paul, Jay, Vimal and Dennis,

Thanks you all for your comments on the Innovative Ferrite Antenna article, which are much appreciated!

Stephen, when I first saw the view of the Pacific from the Rockwork ocean cliff in Oregon, it reminded me of seeing the Pacific from the window of a 747 Jumbo jet 30,000 feet above the ocean :-)

I couldn't resist driving up and looking over the cliff edge, which surprisingly hasn't been fenced off despite the danger. And it wasn't long before I was pushing my luck way past the breaking point by setting up FSL antennas on the cliff edge at 3AM, wondering what this awesome location would provide in the way of transoceanic results. It didn't take long before I was routinely tracking down various New Zealand stations that had never been heard at Grayland over three decades-- including some that have still haven't shown up with even a trace there.

The transoceanic DXing advantages of rich farm soil have been proven over and over both in our Ultralight group and among spectrum capture DXers. At the IRCA convention I finally had the chance to meet Nigel Pimblett, an awesome DXer from Alberta who gets outstanding Australian results with his Perseus-SDR and broadband arrays on rich farm soil. Some Australian stations like 585-2WEB tell me that the strongest recordings they have ever heard of their signals come from my FSL's on the Rockwork cliff, and Nigel's broadband array in Alberta. When Nigel and I finally met each other it was like two long lost friends, who shared a special bond despite using radically different antennas and locations. Great fun! :-)

73, Gary

Jerry H. Neves

Hello Gary,
Always enjoy reading your articles, specially the ones on FSL ANTENNAS. Thanks so much.
Would like to contact you via e.mail.
Always the best to you.
Jerry Neves

Gary DeBock

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your comment on the articles. My email address is d1028gary@...
Feel free to send a message off-list if you would like.

73, Gary

73, Gary