Top Twelve South Pacific Signals to the Rockwork Cliff (August 2019)

Gary DeBock

     Excellent Longwave propagation was the big story of this month's Rockwork Cliff effort, with Tom R. once again breaking the record for South Pacific NDB's received during a west coast DXpedition. But even on the lower part of the Medium Wave band some South Pacific signals got a huge boost as a related bonus. The two Kiwi stations on 531 kHz pounded in like locals when the South Pacific NDB's made their move, and 558-Fiji rode the same trend. Other than that the usual Kiwi and Aussie regulars rounded out the top ten, except that the new 1107-Magic Talk made the list for the first time, definitely seeming to have received a power boost along with the new format.

531  More FM   Alexandra, New Zealand   2 kW   The rare Kiwi rocker (except for Rockwork) pounded in at S9+ during some exceptional Longwave propagation at 1307 on 8-9, with a female ID at 40 seconds  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/qolvem4idtcnc13q4map1akzn4kjjay3
         Another S9+ rocking signal during the record breaking Longwave propagation at 1302 on 8-8; ID at 53 seconds  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/87mcu8quklzeqknfl5hf7vy5oc3vylgl
531  PI   Auckland, New Zealand   5 kW   Another beneficiary of exceptional Longwave propagation with female Samoan and island drum music at S9 level on 8-6 at 1307  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/qkcrdgqr3a2q6xnsjhhinujcix2ibc6y
         Island music at similar S9 level at 1309 on 8-2  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/n5qbmjytn4dt2fblzn0v1r3t9zmbvu1m
558  Radio Fiji One   Suva, Fiji   10 kW   Church music at S9+ level at 1307 on 8-3; this signal was found by Craig Barnes  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/jnfbi4r7d1tn0c0u74bldkyifiayzi1b
         Island music at S9 level with female voiced ID at 1:18, and male voiced ID at 1:24  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/ndgtrr4ny3a4uxq704jgli88ecccpdwc
585  7RN   Hobart, Australia   10 kW   Once again this Tasmanian RN network relay seemed to tap into the Kiwi propagation pipeline to the Cliff, usually hitting a powerful level at least once each session, as at 1317 on 8-7  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/9wah7pdvq0pg0gy7r81nebj0ugcsy2ey
 603  Radio Waatea   Auckland, New Zealand   5 kW   Maori net flagship station usually hit several S9 peaks with its Maori music each session, such as at 1302 on 8-4  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/uxw3hiowrc1pu122a48f1t4m2xt5b22f
Australian interloper 4CH (// 594) temporarily sneaks onto the frequency at a good level all alone at 1305 on 8-5, only to be humbled by an S9 Radio Waatea a few seconds later  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/uxw3hiowrc1pu122a48f1t4m2xt5b22f
657  Star   Wellington/ Tauranga, New Zealand   50/ 10 kW   The Christian hymn broadcaster always managed a potent signal each morning (such as at 1321 on 8-3), but was typically plastered by heavy splatter https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mv1x0iqrvgkyyojh09oowz36xw7owf9m
702  2BL   Sydney, Australia   50 kW   LR network big gun was overall the strongest Oz signal during the DXpedition, and typically had the edge over NZ's Magic, as at 1315 on 8-1  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/1d01x2womxzqacy1f1ooqf91zqbqwn0p
765  Radio Kahungunu   Napier-Hastings, New Zealand   2.5 kW   Overachieving Maori network station was its usual booming self, with this Maori music S9 signal at 1248 on 8-4  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/bqx6iuffr9relwc9bg0ewt276yilwq90
1017  A3Z   Nuku'alofa, Tonga   20 kW   This South Pacific big gun continued to pound in at S9+ several times each morning, such as with church music at 1321 on 8-4  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/kzv3pmyjnhkmyixde5vogjv85evaqxqp
          Young female Tongan speech was testing my Ultralight radio's crunch resistance at 1253 on 8-7  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/nvhy8kiw630h9msmtchynkwt7fjrbkrb
1035  Newstalk ZB   Wellington, New Zealand   20 kW   Usually managing S9 peaks several times during a session, such as with this ID and Kiwi ad string at 1317 on 8-3  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/a3sgzvq9syg9u6eqwasu1avmnbc96gmw
1107  Magic Talk   Tauranga/ Rotorua, New Zealand   "1 kW" (LOL)   The new-format phenomena from NZ's Mediaworks, apparently featuring call-in talk from Monday to Friday and a parallel with the oldies-broadcasting Magic network (702-738-891) on weekends. This S9+ oldies music // 702 (including the "Magic difference" ID) was received during the Kiwi weekend at 1318 on 8-3  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/0ww0477aey9oc4hv3jmqqjqffwbriklj
           The new-format call in talk program was also at an S9+ level at 1313 on 8-6  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/2q9l94q89i7lqwytl2h0vzyfwopd3s4z
1503  Radio Sport   Wellington/ Chrischurch, New Zealand   5/ 2.5 kW   The big gun Kiwi network with the Yankee-accented relay of Fox Sports Network after 1300 daily, such as at 1315 on 8-1  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/cebgbgw96tepsp2atq2ezw4tbrcjcs4i

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing with Tom Rothlisberger and Craig Barnes from August 1-9 at the Rockwork ocean side cliff on Highway 101 near Manzanita, Oregon, USA)
7.5" loopstick CC Skywave SSB and XHDATA D-808 portables +
15", 15" and 17" Airport Unfriendly FSL antennas
DXpedition video (with an unusually smooth ocean) is posted at  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tLpBzB1qrM

K7DWI Art

Gary, you remind me why I moved here :)
One of these days I need to get Dave and I to join you up there.
Still unpacking, repairing and refurbing..... more than once on some things.
My two big MW loops need to be repaired.
My HF Ham activities (what time I have) has definitely shown a flare for liking Trans-Pacific/Equator. I get rare islands and Asia on 14 MHz fairly easy when the antenna is working (had to repair again yesterday).
Europe is a struggle due to my location against a hill.
It is also a little noisy, but will work with that.
I am spending time getting adjusted to what nearby AMBC powerhouses are around here.
Do I Ham, do I MW DX, do I FMBC DX ...... ???? Do I put up my tower?  .... decisions decisions.   I also love the Wine country :)
73 ... Enjoy the posts and videos.
Art Jackson  K7DWI GP Oregon

Paul Blundell

Another excellent report.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Gary DeBock

Thanks Art (and Paul),

We would be honored to have you (and/ or Dave) to join us in one of our Rockwork "Cliffhanger DXing" sessions someday!

As for choosing DXing priorities, we all face tough decisions. At the Rockwork cliff there was exceptional Longwave NDB-DX (from Australia and New Zealand) coming in at the same time as exceptional Medium Wave DX, which for a live Ultralight radio DXer is probably the ultimate tough choice. Since the Longwave DX was much more rare I went after stations like 320-AI (Aitutaki, Cook Islands), 346-TG (Tauranga, NZ) and 366-PNI (Pohnpei, FSM) when I could have been chasing rare Kiwis and Aussies on MW. But my partner Tom Rothlisberger was recording it all on his Perseus-SDR, so not all is lost :-) He made out like a bandit!

73, Gary

radiojayallen

Breathtaking Photo!

Jay