August 2019 Rockwork Cliff DXpedition

Gary DeBock

Once again the largest FSL antenna collection on the planet made its way across the Columbia River bridge during an overnight trip to NW Oregon, finally being deployed at the original Highway 101 plunging cliff turnoff-- Rockwork 4. There has been a drastic decrease in the squatter population, so that Craig Barnes and I were able to easily set up all four PVC bases for all-out DU-DXing at the dream site this morning (see photo). Unfortunately Chris Black came down with a health issue at the last minute, and needed to cancel out.

Craig and I had some excellent signals from the regulars (including 531-More FM, 558-Fiji and 1017-Tonga), although it wasn't quite a stellar morning for rare DX. We were kind of spoiled last year with 1017-Tonga staying a S9 practically throughout the session, but this morning it was "only" at S9 for a few minutes at a time. This meant that as soon as I notified Craig of 1017's potent status, the signal tended to nosedive. Maybe the cumulative effects of humidity and salt water exposure are beginning to take their toll on the Tongan big gun? 558-Fiji showed up with decent signals for a couple minutes at a time, which meant that Craig got the short end of the stick after I notified him of the potent signal. 531-More FM hit an awesome S9 peak around 1312 (including the usual split-second female ID), making it once again seem totally bizarre that no trace of the 2 kW modern rock station has ever been received at Grayland for the duration. The Rockwork Cliff is typically focused in like a laser on New Zealand, and this was a typical morning!

531   More FM   Alexandra, NZ  2 kW   The star of the session-- potent S9 modern rock signal from this Rockwork regular, with female "More FM" ID at 19 seconds  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/ew1w1ukdwbpndr80tjpb5vc10ldj92a0

558  Radio Fiji One   Suva, Fiji  10 kW   Island music at temporary potent level at 1257; typically hit the skids after reaching this level  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/2gc5jvz16hw04pbrpg82tcjhwtbn7sz6

702  2BL   Sydney, Australia   50 kW   Oz big gun with meltdown level signal at 1315; Auckland apparently ran out of Magic  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/1d01x2womxzqacy1f1ooqf91zqbqwn0p

1017  A3Z   Nuku'alofa, Tonga   20 kW   Female Tongan speech at S9+ level at 1317  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/e5ks9f27zqofjhonqmpnup88v6ml4yzh

1017  Newstalk ZB   Christchurch, NZ   10 kW   Presumed the one under A3Z's meltdown-level signal at 1321  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/jacrz1jc8c9vjzpwbbjoxwewrvn50tv1

1503  Radio Sport   Wellington/ Christchurch, NZ   5/ 2.5 kW   Yankee-accented relay of Fox Sports Network after midnight NZ time (1315)  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/cebgbgw96tepsp2atq2ezw4tbrcjcs4i

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (DXing with Craig Barnes at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita, Oregon)
7.5" loopstick CC Skywave SSB and XHDATA D-808 Ultralights
15", 15" and 17" Airport Unfriendly FSL antennas (see photos)

Paul Blundell

Excellent report as always Gary. I have also had a bit of a portable session today:

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 7:49 PM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

K7DWI Art

Loved the report.
One of these days, I would like to join you guys.
I just moved here in Southern Oregon from Prescott Arizona. I am currently rebuilding the Ham Shack and that will be my priority for me the next year.
Hopefully Dave N7NZH will get me to take a break and join you all on a future expedition.
Have fun, keep up the nice work.
73 Art Jackson K7DWI (ex-KA5DWI) GP Oregon

Gary DeBock

Thanks Paul,

Your comment and portable session report are appreciated!

Sorry for the delay in sending out your portable FSL antenna. One of the participants in the November Hawaii DXpedition had to cancel out for health reasons, so I'll be sending you the top-of-the-line Baby FSL that was prepared for him (once I get back home to Washington state).

73, Gary

Gary DeBock

Thanks Art,

Your comment is appreciated!

We would love to have you join us here at the Rockwork Cliff someday-- the perfect cure for any hobby boredom :-)

73, Gary

Paul Blundell

Thanks Gary, I look forward to trying it out down here.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX