3 Inch FSL Tecsun PL-380 Model

Jerry Rappel <ww0e@...>

A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
It needs some adjustments, I'm not a good assembler with my bad eyesight.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?

Thanks,

Jerry  WWØE

Michael.2E0IHW

Jerry, I am the wrong side of The Pond, but assume you
will find merry helpers.

The jpg suggests a basic problem which should not
be difficult to resolve.

Gary?

Michael
Left-of-The-Pond

On 20/06/2019 20:21, Jerry Rappel wrote:
A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?
Jerry  WWØE
---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus

Gary DeBock

Hello Jerry (and Michael),

<<<   A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?   >>>

Since I don't know what's the problem I can't really make any promises, Jerry. But if you send it here, I will take a look at it. I don't really have a lot of spare parts for that particular PL-380 modification, though (which was designed 3 years ago).

Gary DeBock
P.O. Box 1313
Puyallup, WA, 98371

Jerry Rappel <ww0e@...>

Thanks Gary,

I believe the 250/46 Litz wire and ferrite bars need to be better aligned, and the

2 wires coming from the circuit board re-soldered.

I have limited vision with Glaucoma, and probably shouldn't have attempted this?

Anyhow, maybe the rewinding of the Litz wire and re adjust the ferrite bars,

and the 2 wires soldered better ?.

What's your fee for this Gary?

Jerry  WW0E

To: "main" <main@UltralightDX.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 5:24:12 PM
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] 3 Inch FSL Tecsun PL-380 Model

Hello Jerry (and Michael),

<<<   A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?   >>>

Since I don't know what's the problem I can't really make any promises, Jerry. But if you send it here, I will take a look at it. I don't really have a lot of spare parts for that particular PL-380 modification, though (which was designed 3 years ago).

Gary DeBock
P.O. Box 1313
Puyallup, WA, 98371

Gary DeBock

Jerry,

From an eyesight point of view, the most challenging part of that project was to solder the two 250/46 Litz wires onto the two PL-380 circuit board terminals. Possible problems in that process include cold solder joints, solder bridges to adjacent connections, fried components and/ or separation of the connecting foil from the circuit board. I can't really tell you how much it would cost to repair (or even if a repair is practical) without looking at the exact problem. If some components are fried or if the foil has separated from the circuit board, it may be necessary to order another PL-380 to correct the problem-- which isn't a very practical solution. Cold solder joints and solder bridges are easy to correct (as long as the original circuit board terminals are intact, and no parts are fried), and the rest of the antenna is fairly straightforward to work on, as long as the recommended parts were used. But before any repair is attempted (or repair cost estimated) a visual inspection is necessary to diagnose the problem.

73, Gary

Jerry Rappel <ww0e@...>

Upon closer inspection, the 2 wires coming out from the radio case, that are both inside the shrink tube,
were used. The 2 wires are still soldered to the circuit board,inside the case, a friend did this for me.
I believe there are more than 36 total turns of the Litz wire that have been wound around the bar assembly, my windings. The 8 ferrite bars are lined up as close as I could get them to perfect.
I'd say it  looks like the Litz/ferrite assemble need redone, and soldered to the wire
from the shrink tube again.

Jerry

Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2019 6:51:38 PM

Jerry,

From an eyesight point of view, the most challenging part of that project was to solder the two 250/46 Litz wires onto the two PL-380 circuit board terminals. Possible problems in that process include cold solder joints, solder bridges to adjacent connections, fried components and/ or separation of the connecting foil from the circuit board. I can't really tell you how much it would cost to repair (or even if a repair is practical) without looking at the exact problem. If some components are fried or if the foil has separated from the circuit board, it may be necessary to order another PL-380 to correct the problem-- which isn't a very practical solution. Cold solder joints and solder bridges are easy to correct (as long as the original circuit board terminals are intact, and no parts are fried), and the rest of the antenna is fairly straightforward to work on, as long as the recommended parts were used. But before any repair is attempted (or repair cost estimated) a visual inspection is necessary to diagnose the problem.

73, Gary

Gary DeBock

OK Jerry,

Feel free to send the model here if you wish-- if it's an easy fix I won't ask for any repair $$, and send it back to you. If the 100mm ferrite bars are cracked there isn't much I can do, though, since they are no longer available (and in great demand).

73, Gary

Jerry Rappel <ww0e@...>

I appreciate it Gary, the ferrite bars are all in good condition, no cracks.
Shall I send everything just the way it is?
I'll wrap it well.

Send your address next email.

Jerry Rappel  WW0E
1415 W. 34TH ST.
Davenport, IA 52806 

om@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 1:21:27 AM

OK Jerry,

Feel free to send the model here if you wish-- if it's an easy fix I won't ask for any repair $$, and send it back to you. If the 100mm ferrite bars are cracked there isn't much I can do, though, since they are no longer available (and in great demand).

73, Gary

Gary DeBock

OK Jerry,

I'll look it over and do what I can.

Gary DeBock
P.O. Box 1313
Puyallup, WA 98371

Gary DeBock

For those interested in the resolution of this problem, Jerry's 3 inch FSL PL-380 model was received here yesterday, but it was not repairable. There were several issues, but the deal breaker was the orange antenna frame being glued across both the front and back cabinet sections (contrary to the article's instructions at http://www.mediafire.com/file/w0gcek56f6aq7kr/3_Inch_FSL_Tecsun_PL.doc/file
so the PL-380 could not be opened up for servicing. When "supercharging" any Ultralight, avoid the temptation to do this!

Fortunately I had enough spare PL-380 parts and 250/46 Litz wire on hand to take the 8 Russian 100mm bars and build a new 3 inch FSL Pl-380 model for Jerry, as in the attached photo with the old model. (Sorry that I can't do this for others).

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the information and follow up post on this.

I have also made the same mistake when fixing mine of gluing both sections together. Mine will be used until it dies.

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 7:49 AM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
For those interested in the resolution of this problem, Jerry's 3 inch FSL PL-380 model was received here yesterday, but it was not repairable. There were several issues, but the deal breaker was the orange antenna frame being glued across both the front and back cabinet sections (contrary to the article's instructions at http://www.mediafire.com/file/w0gcek56f6aq7kr/3_Inch_FSL_Tecsun_PL.doc/file
so the PL-380 could not be opened up for servicing. When "supercharging" any Ultralight, avoid the temptation to do this!

Fortunately I had enough spare PL-380 parts and 250/46 Litz wire on hand to take the 8 Russian 100mm bars and build a new 3 inch FSL Pl-380 model for Jerry, as in the attached photo with the old model. (Sorry that I can't do this for others).

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

--
Paul

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

Gary DeBock

<<<    I have also made the same mistake when fixing mine of gluing both sections together. Mine will be used until it dies.   >>>

Thanks Paul,

Actually the PL-380 will work fine after you do this until it needs internal servicing-- at which point both you and the PL-380 will be out of luck.
You would be surprised how many of these PL-380 emergency glue jobs are on borrowed time around the world.

Gary