3 Inch FSL Tecsun PL-380 Model

Jerry Rappel <ww0e@...>

A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
It needs some adjustments, I'm not a good assembler with my bad eyesight.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?

Thanks,

Jerry  WWØE

Michael.2E0IHW

Jerry, I am the wrong side of The Pond, but assume you
will find merry helpers.

The jpg suggests a basic problem which should not
be difficult to resolve.

Gary?

Michael
Left-of-The-Pond

On 20/06/2019 20:21, Jerry Rappel wrote:
A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
It needs some adjustments, I'm not a good assembler with my bad eyesight.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?
Jerry  WWØE
---

Hello Jerry (and Michael),

<<<   A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
It needs some adjustments, I'm not a good assembler with my bad eyesight.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?   >>>

Since I don't know what's the problem I can't really make any promises, Jerry. But if you send it here, I will take a look at it. I don't really have a lot of spare parts for that particular PL-380 modification, though (which was designed 3 years ago).

Gary DeBock
P.O. Box 1313
Puyallup, WA, 98371

Jerry Rappel <ww0e@...>

Thanks Gary,

I believe the 250/46 Litz wire and ferrite bars need to be better aligned, and the

2 wires coming from the circuit board re-soldered.

I have limited vision with Glaucoma, and probably shouldn't have attempted this?

Anyhow, maybe the rewinding of the Litz wire and re adjust the ferrite bars,

and the 2 wires soldered better ?.

What's your fee for this Gary?

Jerry  WW0E

<<<   A long while ago I attempted the 3 Inch FSL on the Tecsun PL-380.
It needs some adjustments, I'm not a good assembler with my bad eyesight.
Anyone available to correct/redue this for me if I can ship it to you?   >>>

Since I don't know what's the problem I can't really make any promises, Jerry. But if you send it here, I will take a look at it. I don't really have a lot of spare parts for that particular PL-380 modification, though (which was designed 3 years ago).

Gary DeBock
P.O. Box 1313
Puyallup, WA, 98371

Gary DeBock

Jerry,

From an eyesight point of view, the most challenging part of that project was to solder the two 250/46 Litz wires onto the two PL-380 circuit board terminals. Possible problems in that process include cold solder joints, solder bridges to adjacent connections, fried components and/ or separation of the connecting foil from the circuit board. I can't really tell you how much it would cost to repair (or even if a repair is practical) without looking at the exact problem. If some components are fried or if the foil has separated from the circuit board, it may be necessary to order another PL-380 to correct the problem-- which isn't a very practical solution. Cold solder joints and solder bridges are easy to correct (as long as the original circuit board terminals are intact, and no parts are fried), and the rest of the antenna is fairly straightforward to work on, as long as the recommended parts were used. But before any repair is attempted (or repair cost estimated) a visual inspection is necessary to diagnose the problem.

73, Gary

Jerry Rappel <ww0e@...>

Upon closer inspection, the 2 wires coming out from the radio case, that are both inside the shrink tube,
were used. The 2 wires are still soldered to the circuit board,inside the case, a friend did this for me.
I believe there are more than 36 total turns of the Litz wire that have been wound around the bar assembly, my windings. The 8 ferrite bars are lined up as close as I could get them to perfect.
I'd say it  looks like the Litz/ferrite assemble need redone, and soldered to the wire
from the shrink tube again.

Jerry