New Design 3 Inch Baby FSL Antenna Demo Video

Gary DeBock

The new 3 inch (76mm) Baby FSL antenna is the smallest, most compact and lightweight "airport friendly" FSL ever constructed here, but it packs a pretty mean inductive coupling punch due to a newly upgraded "384P" variable capacitor (as well as the most sensitive 1162/46 Litz wire coil).

This afternoon in summer-like daytime DXing conditions a YouTube demonstration video receiving 1070-CFAX in Victoria, BC (10 kW at 99 miles) was recorded, where an S2-S3 fringe signal on a CC Skywave SSB model was boosted up to a S9++ overload level by the Baby FSL, bringing in news of a sudden power failure by BC Hydro on the west shore of Victoria (possibly not related to the FSL's huge signal power boost)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZtYli09mTg

This new-design Baby FSL antenna will feature prominently in an "innovative ferrite antenna" lecture at the IRCA Convention in September, which will also feature "Supercharged" Ultralights and monster, "airport unfriendly" FSL's. See you there!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

C B

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the great video and for the redesigned "Baby FSL". I can attest to it's usefulness having had the pleasure to have and use an earlier iteration at Kalaloch(my first TSA Friendly FSL)!. Thanks for your ongoing work on significantly enhancing the DX results of Ultralights:-) I will now resume chomping at the bit for a week at Rockworks! BTW, I look forward to your lecture on FSLs at the IRCA Convention, as I will be in attendance.

73,

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Thursday, June 20, 2019, 12:54:58 AM MDT, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris Black <n1cp@...>

Hi Gary, I second all that! This FSL is definitely the fashion accessory that every ultralight DXer must have.
I’ll be at Convention as well.
Best 73 de Chris

On Jun 20, 2019, at 7:38 AM, C B via Groups.Io <bevdxer@...> wrote:

[...]

Patrick Barthelow

Hello, Fellow LF/MF DXers!
Amazing Antenna.  I plan to build one.  Looking for suppliers for the russian variety of ferrite, used, including the one of special shape that avoids the "sticks of dynamite" visual look, that gives pause to shippers... Where can I get some of the usable varieties of ferrite?
There was mention made of the effectiveness of the variable capacitor chosen for this antenna.   I am very interested in knowing any variable capacitor characteristics that assist in maximum signal.    Most  300-400 pF capacitors look very similar.  What sets your selection apart from "garden variety" capacitors in that capacitance range that works especially well in this application?
Best, 73,   Pat Barthelow AA6EG
apolloeme@...

"The most exciting phrase to hear in Science, the one that heralds
new discoveries,  is not "Eureka, I have found it!"    but:

"That's funny..."  ----Isaac Asimov

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 11:54 PM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Phillip Fimiani

I bought two cheaper varieties... Should come in soon. They look alike, but the cheaper one is made from a duller looking aluminum... not stainless or whatever is used on the $40 ones. The materials will make the difference of course, Will it be a major difference in the overall pickup... Don't know... If it improves reception... Ill be happy...

I'm starting with a traditional X framed box antenna... maybe remote controlled possibly amplified... I want to place it a distance away in the attic.

Best Regards
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
Long: 34.210293 Lat:-78.057048
FM04xf 30dl
______________________________

--
73
Phil

Michael.2E0IHW

Ah, good point, Patrick
Perchance we need to crowdfund an FSL Shipping Line..
Problem : dodgy smugglers might wish to piggyback...

The variable capacitor should be less tricky:-
- any airspaced from an ancient (sic) "wireless set"
- any airspaced from current suppliers - not always cheap...
- avoid extracted cheapos with plastic-film separators
often "noisy" and lossy.

Michael UK

On 20/06/2019 21:07, Patrick Barthelow wrote:
... Looking for suppliers for the russian variety of ferrite, used, including the one of special shape that avoids the "sticks of dynamite" visual look, that gives pause to shippers
I am very interested in knowing any variable capacitor characteristics that assist in maximum signal.
Best, 73,   Pat Barthelow AA6EG
---

Thanks Craig and Chris,

Your comments on the 3" Baby FSL video are greatly appreciated!

Of course there is constant tweaking and testing of new FSL designs here, and A/B testing is pretty relentless. Craig, there is already a superior version of the 5" Bar FSL that I shipped to you only a few months back, so I'll be happy to provide you with the latest, improved model in an exchange at the Rockwork cliff in August. Chris, there will also be one of the latest 5" Bar FSL models ready for you at the same time, with the "suitcase-friendly" 4' PVC base parts ready as well (for both of you). At the Rockwork Cliff you both should be able to fine tune your FSL DXing skills on 558-Fiji, 1017-Tonga-- and maybe even Western Oz!

By the time of the Poipu, Kauai DXpedition in November you both should be able to score around the world (when you aren't snorkeling or hiking).

73, Gary

Gary DeBock

<<<    Hello, Fellow LF/MF DXers!
Amazing Antenna.  I plan to build one.  Looking for suppliers for the russian variety of ferrite, used, including the one of special shape that avoids the "sticks of dynamite" visual look, that gives pause to shippers... Where can I get some of the usable varieties of ferrite?
There was mention made of the effectiveness of the variable capacitor chosen for this antenna.   I am very interested in knowing any variable capacitor characteristics that assist in maximum signal.    Most  300-400 pF capacitors look very similar.  What sets your selection apart from "garden variety" capacitors in that capacitance range that works especially well in this application?
Best, 73,   Pat Barthelow AA6EG   >>>

Thanks for your comments, Pat!

The Russian surplus 120mm x 8mm ferrite rods are not currently available on eBay, but the 140mm x 8mm ferrite rods (slightly longer) are available at https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-Ferrite-Rod-8mm-x-140mm-for-Amateur-Crystal-Radio-Coils-AM-SW/202603024491?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2f2c14d06b:g:Hr4AAOSwahlbxh8W&enc=AQADAAAB4KX%2FKt4E1xf3SDqEdBclaYae5GE0ApgtXf%2FvY%2Bfsn2w%2Fd23urPHDpluF6fOh3FaEkQWqlYYeblBWx8QvhqV2lrxg844dE4DKX4baWQClaqnLtCQypsrQtHWB9JuMzbcXBdlxqOQkYIDtL%2BH62SPlmyr2gjp%2BzlxjVHr2v%2BveGLZtil45esF00W9mNa9sWeuZ2iuEmrqs6aaoEeyPDLk4NiKuAdsQLTOiog7ws%2FZJHN7wiA865k5ldKmfvfUbMokKTC8nsQeerxbVK4%2FUrEVqAIyiVcss5fFiccNPwv%2BR8JCee7ZiKAS9KB%2B7%2F7ArlJa9ic%2F5jwGybMBpVe532%2FtEKo9qY2riOis2ybSBdNVS3MkhRmyuhW44Tg2qU0eDNOWSXWILcFsLA8XeC16faEy6IKeJzjEcNv%2FZ2TEE8DTV59JrNun%2F%2BsGh5cCmUuW2VItM9qk%2BRnh0mWinktMy1Jt2EutbcOwYJT%2FpL8rTre8yYzff18qNypxwtibcMlm9HZYC%2B0Z6OOZ8AzByX8sbE%2BFBnh%2BakMMX10sQEdyWqBcLO7VmevZGb4fDH%2F8B4pO7DZ2E3YiLv2%2FtA%2FFKZtl%2BmGt0mJEkE03EmOjuB6K%2FPGpdmNWh%2BJjqnMCSj3TfdRhHFPR6WA%3D%3D&checksum=202603024491f2945396953c4395a9db0fb43d576d48
The 1162/46 Litz wire is available on eBay at the following link  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litz-wire-1162-46-for-Amateur-Crystal-Radio-coil-Single-layer-insulation-100/151156887668?hash=item2331a71074:g:aT0AAOxyTjNSdFlQ:sc:USPSFirstClass!98371!US!-1
Finally, the compact, high performance "384-P" variable capacitor with the 8:1 planetary drive system is available at http://www.orenelliottproducts.com/oep-capacitors/n-50-group/n50-384p-8-1-drive

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Patrick Barthelow

Hello Mike, and others. Here is a picture on this sunny day in California of a sample of Variable caps I have, mostly were transmitter type, but many cover the range of 300 or so pf.  Don't know if the different construction, beefier, etc, lend any gain advantages in a MF tuned circuit antenna...

On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM blumu via Groups.Io <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ah, good point, Patrick
Perchance we need to crowdfund an FSL Shipping Line..
Problem : dodgy smugglers might wish to piggyback...

The variable capacitor should be less tricky:-
- any airspaced from an ancient (sic) "wireless set"
- any airspaced from current suppliers - not always cheap...
- avoid extracted cheapos with plastic-film separators
   often "noisy"  and lossy.

Michael UK

On 20/06/2019 21:07, Patrick Barthelow wrote:
> ... Looking for suppliers for the
> russian variety of ferrite, used, including the one of special shape
> that avoids the "sticks of dynamite" visual look, that gives pause to
> shippers
> I am very interested in knowing any variable
> capacitor characteristics that assist in maximum signal.
> Best, 73,   Pat Barthelow AA6EG

---

lamontcranston17

Hi Gary,
 Have you ever measured Q of any of your FSLs?
I thought Q was important from when I first heard of the FSL,
although, when a guru responded in an email,
"Q has next to no relation to how the FSL will actually perform."
I questioned him on that, he got mad, and stopped responding to my email.

 The fact that you use 1162 count litz and this new capacitor that
can be tuned more sharply is just more evidence that Q is important.
  But is there something I don't understand where Litz could be important,
but Q is not? Doesn't make sense to me.
 Have you ever measured the Q at top, bottom and middle of the band?
  Just curious what the Q range on your FSLs is.
                           Thanks, Mikek

Gary DeBock

Hi Mikek,

<<<   Have you ever measured Q of any of your FSLs?
I thought Q was important from when I first heard of the FSL,
although, when a guru responded in an email,
"Q has next to no relation to how the FSL will actually perform."I questioned him on that, he got mad, and stopped responding to my email.

In answer to your question, I don't measure Q on my FSL antennas because I have found that direct A/B weak signal testing is the most effective way to optimize components in FSL antenna designs. For example, since 1162/46 Litz wire significantly outperforms 660/46 Litz wire, and the "384P" variable caps significantly outperform "365P" variable caps, it's a pretty simple matter to determine which of these components to incorporate into a new FSL antenna design.

Despite this, I disagree with the guru who said that "Q has no relation to how the FSL will actually perform." Most of the initial FSL construction ideas were borrowed from the Crystal Radio Group enthusiasts, especially Steve R., who was one of the three original FSL antenna developers. Q measurements are extremely important in the crystal radio group, optimizing antenna components, dielectric materials, coil shapes, etc. A lot of this experimentation is applicable to FSL antenna designs, but we also face the additional challenge of designing rugged, weather-resistant antennas that can survive in rough environments like ocean cliffs, as well as survive rough handling during transoceanic air travel. As such, rugged components, frames and Litz wire are chosen strictly based on their ability to provide the maximum inductive coupling gain in the smallest possible size and weight. Viewers of the new 3 inch Baby FSL demo video can see the end result of this process :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Phil Pasteur

Edited

Thanks to a suggestion by Steve R., I recently picked up a couple of these to swap out the original part on my 7" FSL.
https://www.mikeselectronicparts.com/product/384pf-air-variable-capacitor-with-81-planetary-reduction-drive/
They "look" almost identical to the part Gary calls out above, but are considerably less costly. Mounting hole are the same and specification, including the reduction drive seem the same.
Anyone care to take a look at let me know if my assessment is sound?

Gary DeBock

<<<   Thanks to a suggestion by Steve R., I recently picked up a couple of these to swap out the original part on my 7" FSL.
https://www.mikeselectronicparts.com/product/384pf-air-variable-capacitor-with-81-planetary-reduction-drive/
They "look" almost identical to the part Gary calls out above, but are considerably less costly. Mounting hole are the same and specification, including the reduction drive seem the same.
Anyone care to take a look at let me know if my assessment is sound?    >>>

Phil,

Those are the exact same "384P" variable caps as sold by Orem Elliott Products, who is the OEM manufacturer (as far as I know).

BTW I got this source from Steve R. originally. He is as much an expert on portable antenna experimentation as anybody on the planet, and probably knows more than yours truly about tracking down hard to find components.

73, Gary

Gord Seifert

   Hi Gary,  I have been following this 'Baby FSL' thread for a while and have seen that you have found a 384p variable that works very well for you. I have also noticed that there seem to be a couple of different, but very similar, 384p, 8:1 drive, variables. One is about three times the price of the other at $63US (near $100 Canadian). That makes me wonder what it is about that one that makes it perform better for you. Is it simply the 8:1 drive, or is it something else? I can't see how that beautiful machined looking frame would change it's performance much. Have you tried the $20 version at Mikes Electronics? I will likely build one myself, but at about $100 US ($130 CDN) for 100 feet of litz wire (enough for three Baby FSLs, but it seems to be the only way to buy it), another $100 CDN for the ferrite rods (3 x 10 rods plus shipping and CDN conversion), another $100 for the capacitor is stretching it on a retirement income. Heck, the PL-310et was peanuts in comparison! Looks like a great little antenna though.

  Regards,
  Gord

  Chilliwack, BC

Gord Seifert

     Judging by the photos shown in the listings, they don't look quite the same. The one from Mike's looks like it is worth the $20. The one from Elliot Products looks like it would have cost quite a bit more to produce given the machined and polished look. Although, I have never actually seen one from Elliot Products so I don't know if they are really that nice looking or if they used a very realistic illustration instead of an actual photo.

   Regards,
   Gord Seifert

   Chilliwack, BC

Gary DeBock

[...]

Hi Gord,

First of all, there is no physical or electrical difference between the "384P" variable caps sold by Oren Elliott and Mike's Electronic Parts-- I have used both in the FSL's here, and they both provide excellent performance. Oren Elliott is the OEM of the variable caps and charges significantly more for single orders, but all of these components were originally made by him. If you only need one or two of them, you should definitely order from Mike's Electronic Parts.

The 1162/46 Litz wire is not cheap, but if you want the best gain performance it is worth the money. The entire philosophy behind the "Frequent Flyer" FSL antennas was that if you are going to spend some serious money to travel to exotic places around the world, you might as well have the best possible compact FSL antenna to make your overseas DXing as thrilling as possible. The components, frames and designs of these compact FSL's have all been constantly refined over 3 years, and they were never intended to be average DXing antennas. They are intended to be tiny little shockers, pushing the envelope in travel DXing WAY past the status quo.

As for the superiority of the "384P" variable cap over the "365P" model, all I can tell you is that in direct A/B testing the "384P" smokes the competition in S/N ratio, tuning sharpness and overall DXing results. Physical examination of the two variable cap types doesn't reveal anything, and even if Oren Elliott has some secrets in his manufacturing process, I doubt that he would share them with me.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Chris Rogers

Hi Gary,
Amazing antenna and very impressive demonstration.
Best regards
Chris

[...]

Richard_Fry

Hello, Gary -

Nice looking FSL, and well-demonstrated.

How would you expect the performance of the setup in the video to compare with the performance of a Sangean PR-D15?

Rich

Phil Pasteur

Edited

@Gord Seifert

I found this on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/i/182880754190?chn=ps&var=690181186870
1200/46 Litz.  It is NOT cheaper, but he allows you to buy in 10 foot increments. For instance 30 feet for ~$48. This could bring your cost down a bit, if you are not going to build more than one FSL
Gary do you think that this wire would be equivalent to the 1162/46 wire that you called out above?

Phil

Gary DeBock

<<<   Hello, Gary -
Nice looking FSL, and well-demonstrated.
How would you expect the performance of the setup in the video to compare with the performance of a Sangean PR-D15?
Rich   >>>

Hello Rich,

Since I don't have a Sangean PR-D15 it's tough to answer your question, but I do have multiple Sony ICF-S5W models, which are regarded as some of the most sensitive AM-DXing portables ever manufactured.

The CC Skywave + 3" Baby FSL combo will clearly outperform the ICF-S5W stand-alone portable on all frequencies from 530-1700 kHz, although you do need to peak the Baby FSL's tuning cap whenever you chance the frequency, so that does add one additional step in the DXing process. As for the reception of the 1070-CFAX daytime DX signal in the Baby FSL demonstration video, the Sony portable can receive it at about an S7 level, whereas the stock CC Skywave only manages about S2, and the Skywave-FSL combo manages S9++.

73, Gary