New Design (2019) FSL Antennas


Gary DeBock
 

     Five years after introduction by the U.K.'s Graham Maynard the Ferrite Sleeve Loop antenna suddenly got a new design mission-- shrink down in size and weight to become the ultimate overseas traveling companion. As such, the ocean cliff-dwelling gain monsters suddenly fell out of favor, and a new breed of compact, TSA-friendly beach thrillers was launched.

      A relentless A/B testing program has continued for 3 years, trying every possible trick to make the "Frequent Flyers" more sensitive, lightweight and compact. Last summer at the Rockwork cliff Craig Barnes played a major part in this effort by informing me that his 5" Bar FSL had apparently accumulated a few too many air travel miles, and couldn't tune down to 531 kHz. This resulted in an all-out search for a variable cap replacement-- ending up with the much more effective "384P" component from Oren Elliot Products (and Mike's Electronic Parts).

      Augmented by the new, razor-sharp tuning variable cap, Craig's 5" FSL was running circles around my own models in detailed A/B testing here in Puyallup. The obvious choice was to replace the variable caps in all the 5" Bar Frequent Flyer FSL's-- including one which would go to Poipu, Hawaii in November. The transformation changed the tiny FSL into a compact DXing firecracker, which ended up tracking down MW-DX from Oman, Egypt, Iran, India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Cambodia, Bonaire and many other exotic locations on the Poipu beach.

      But what about the ferrite rod "Frequent Flyers?" What would the new "384P" variable caps do for them? It turns out that the transformation has been just as thrilling, and has resulted in a new, compact 3 inch "Baby FSL" design, which packs a huge amount of performance into the smallest, most lightweight "Frequent Flyer" antenna yet.

      The plan is to thoroughly demonstrate the new 3 inch "Baby FSL" model at the IRCA convention this September, along with the new 4 inch Bar FSL antenna (using 17 of the Russian surplus 100mm x 20mm x 3mm bars) and various "supercharged" Ultralights (and several XHDATA D-808's). See you there!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)


Phil Pasteur
 

Looks good Gary.
I think at one point a few months ago you mentioned having some of the newer variable caps on hand for resale. Is that still the case. I would like to try one out on my 7" FSL.
If available, how to I contact you. I thought there was a way on the forum to send an email, but I sure can't find it now...


Phil


Gary DeBock
 

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comment!

As far as I know the "384P" variable cap is still available online from Oren Elliot Products at the following link  www.orenelliottproducts.com/oep-capacitors/n-50-group/n50-384p-8-1-drive

73, Gary


C B
 

Several years ago Gary generously made a 3.5" FSL available to me to use on a few trips to spots on the PNW coast such as Kalaloch and Rockaway Beach. It was an immediate difference maker and designed such that it was practical for air travel. In March of 2017 I visited with Gary in Puyallup on my way to Kalaloch. I was just looking for an opportunity to have lunch with and glean some more insights from an accomplished TP DXer on my way back to Kalaloch. I mentioned that I would be going to Hawaii in April, planning to do some TP DXing from Princeville on Kauai and from the west side of the island of Hawaii. Much to my elated surprise, he offered a 5" FSL for me to try in Kalaloch, then Hawaii. At the time my receiver was a stock Tecsun PL-310. TP reception in Kalaloch was the best I had experienced there. Reception on Kauai was flat out astonishing. I felt I had a sampling of what the PNW DXers experienced when conditions were good. I was overwhelmed at the quantity and quality of Asian TP DX from Princeville. Hearing a Brazilian Portuguese broadcast on one of the Japanese big guns also stirred some interesting discussions within the PNW TP DX community. What amazed me was I don't think it had been reported before. DU TP DX from the west side of Hawaii was also quite good. Tuvalu and the Marshall Islands booming in was something I could get used to! Prior to my second trip to the island of Hawaii, I met up again with Gary. Once again he surprised me by providing me with a turbocharged Tecsun PL-380. In April of last year, I took a second trip to the island of Hawaii, staying right on the waterfront for several days. Using the turbocharged Tecsun PL-380 and the 5" FSL enabled reception of Trackside Radio in NZ of such quality that a KIWI DXer commented on it. While trying for More FM and 531pi on 531 at Rockworks last summer, I discovered my 5" FSL was showing signs of the mileage I had put on it as it was reluctant to tune down to 531. Gary to the rescue! He offered me a back up 5" FSL and took my limping FSL to repair it! Using the replacement 5" FSL More FM and 531pi were logged and recorded, as well as one of my personal TP DXing highlights: reception of Chinese Radio on 936, a 1 kW station in NZ! All possible thanks to Gary's innovative approach to enhanced ultralight TP DXing as well as his mantra of ongoing improvement. My hat's off to Gary for significantly elevating my travel TP DXing experience! Thanks Gary!!

73 and Good DX!

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Thursday, June 6, 2019, 6:54:32 PM MDT, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:


Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comment!

As far as I know the "384P" variable cap is still available online from Oren Elliot Products at the following link  www.orenelliottproducts.com/oep-capacitors/n-50-group/n50-384p-8-1-drive

73, Gary


C B
 

Several years ago Gary generously made a 3.5" FSL available to me to use on a few trips to spots on the PNW coast such as Kalaloch and Rockaway Beach. It was an immediate difference maker and designed such that it was practical for air travel. In March of 2017 I visited with Gary in Puyallup on my way to Kalaloch. I was just looking for an opportunity to have lunch with and glean some more insights from an accomplished TP DXer on my way back to Kalaloch. I mentioned that I would be going to Hawaii in April, planning to do some TP DXing from Princeville on Kauai and from the west side of the island of Hawaii. Much to my elated surprise, he offered a 5" FSL for me to try in Kalaloch, then Hawaii. At the time my receiver was a stock Tecsun PL-310. TP reception in Kalaloch was the best I had experienced there. Reception on Kauai was flat out astonishing. I felt I had a sampling of what the PNW DXers experienced when conditions were good. I was overwhelmed at the quantity and quality of Asian TP DX from Princeville. Hearing a Brazilian Portuguese broadcast on one of the Japanese big guns also stirred some interesting discussions within the PNW TP DX community. What amazed me was I don't think it had been reported before. DU TP DX from the west side of Hawaii was also quite good. Tuvalu and the Marshall Islands booming in was something I could get used to! Prior to my second trip to the island of Hawaii, I met up again with Gary. Once again he surprised me by providing me with a turbocharged Tecsun PL-380. In April of last year, I took a second trip to the island of Hawaii, staying right on the waterfront for several days. Using the turbocharged Tecsun PL-380 and the 5" FSL enabled reception of Trackside Radio in NZ of such quality that a KIWI DXer commented on it. While trying for More FM and 531pi on 531 at Rockworks last summer, I discovered my 5" FSL was showing signs of the mileage I had put on it as it was reluctant to tune down to 531. Gary to the rescue! He offered me a back up 5" FSL and took my limping FSL to repair it! Using the replacement 5" FSL More FM and 531pi were logged and recorded, as well as one of my personal TP DXing highlights: reception of Chinese Radio on 936, a 1 kW station in NZ! All possible thanks to Gary's innovative approach to enhanced ultralight TP DXing as well as his mantra of ongoing improvement. My hat's off to Gary for significantly elevating my travel TP DXing experience! Thanks Gary!!

73 and Good DX!

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Thursday, June 6, 2019, 8:08:27 PM MDT, C B via Groups.Io <bevdxer@...> wrote:


Several years ago Gary generously made a 3.5" FSL available to me to use on a few trips to spots on the PNW coast such as Kalaloch and Rockaway Beach. It was an immediate difference maker and designed such that it was practical for air travel. In March of 2017 I visited with Gary in Puyallup on my way to Kalaloch. I was just looking for an opportunity to have lunch with and glean some more insights from an accomplished TP DXer on my way back to Kalaloch. I mentioned that I would be going to Hawaii in April, planning to do some TP DXing from Princeville on Kauai and from the west side of the island of Hawaii. Much to my elated surprise, he offered a 5" FSL for me to try in Kalaloch, then Hawaii. At the time my receiver was a stock Tecsun PL-310. TP reception in Kalaloch was the best I had experienced there. Reception on Kauai was flat out astonishing. I felt I had a sampling of what the PNW DXers experienced when conditions were good. I was overwhelmed at the quantity and quality of Asian TP DX from Princeville. Hearing a Brazilian Portuguese broadcast on one of the Japanese big guns also stirred some interesting discussions within the PNW TP DX community. What amazed me was I don't think it had been reported before. DU TP DX from the west side of Hawaii was also quite good. Tuvalu and the Marshall Islands booming in was something I could get used to! Prior to my second trip to the island of Hawaii, I met up again with Gary. Once again he surprised me by providing me with a turbocharged Tecsun PL-380. In April of last year, I took a second trip to the island of Hawaii, staying right on the waterfront for several days. Using the turbocharged Tecsun PL-380 and the 5" FSL enabled reception of Trackside Radio in NZ of such quality that a KIWI DXer commented on it. While trying for More FM and 531pi on 531 at Rockworks last summer, I discovered my 5" FSL was showing signs of the mileage I had put on it as it was reluctant to tune down to 531. Gary to the rescue! He offered me a back up 5" FSL and took my limping FSL to repair it! Using the replacement 5" FSL More FM and 531pi were logged and recorded, as well as one of my personal TP DXing highlights: reception of Chinese Radio on 936, a 1 kW station in NZ! All possible thanks to Gary's innovative approach to enhanced ultralight TP DXing as well as his mantra of ongoing improvement. My hat's off to Gary for significantly elevating my travel TP DXing experience! Thanks Gary!!

73 and Good DX!

Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

On Thursday, June 6, 2019, 6:54:32 PM MDT, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary@...> wrote:


Hi Phil,

Thanks for your comment!

As far as I know the "384P" variable cap is still available online from Oren Elliot Products at the following link  www.orenelliottproducts.com/oep-capacitors/n-50-group/n50-384p-8-1-drive

73, Gary


Paul Blundell
 

Well done on all your work with these. It is great to see you continue to expand on the hobby and find ways to improve your tests. 

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX


Gary DeBock
 

Thanks Craig,

Your comments are appreciated, but a lot of the early progress with the "Frequent Flyer" FSL antenna was related to your own transoceanic DXing success, especially your breakthrough Princeville, Kauai trip in April of 2017. The awesome Asian recordings on your open-air iPhone videos were enough to convince anyone to make the dream DXing trip of a lifetime, and head for Kauai!

This November we should have some serious DXing fun in Poipu, with four highly motivated participants, an in-house DU English translator (Chris from Melbourne), four of the razor-sharp tuning 5 inch FSL's and four continents to go after (all of Asia, Oceania, and North & South America). Of course that won't stop us from going after the big guns in Europe and Africa if we have half a chance :-)

73, Gary



 


Gary DeBock
 

<<<    Well done on all your work with these. It is great to see you continue to expand on the hobby and find ways to improve your tests.    >>>

Thanks Paul,

Your comments (and efforts as Moderator) are always appreciated. If you can send me your latest mailing address in Tasmania, I'll see if I can send off one of the latest compact FSL's Down Under.

73, Gary

 


Chris Rogers
 

Hi Gary,
Looking forward to the trip very much and some serious dxing.

73 and good dx to all!
Chris


Phil Pasteur
 
Edited

Thanks Gary,
I thought I read a few months ago that you had some of these. Just a faulty memory I am sure. Steve R. wrote me offline and sent me a link. Thanks Steve!!  I ordered a couple of what I think are the correct parts.
This is the description:
384pf Air Variable Capacitor with 8:1 planetary reduction drive

I will be interested to see what the differences are with my 7" FSL. Is there anything else I need to do other then just swap the part. I would not think so, but figured I would ask.
Thanks for the reply!

Phil


Tony Magon
 

Hi All


I thought this article may be of interest


73

Tony VK2IC



On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 9:13 AM Phil Pasteur <ppasteur@q.com> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Thanks Gary,
I thought I read a few months ago that you had some of these. Just a faulty memory I am sure. Steve R. wrote me offline and sent me a link. Thanks Steve!!  I ordered a couple of what I think are the correct parts.
This is the description:
384pf Air Variable Capacitor with 8:1 planetary reduction drive

I will be interested to see what the differences are with my 7" FSL. Is there anything else I need to do other then just swap the part. I would not think so, but figured I would ask.
Thanks for the reply!

Phil


Gary DeBock
 

<<<    thought this article may be of interest
 
 
73
Tony VK2IC   >>>

Thanks Tony,

That article is interesting indeed-- Kiwi ingenuity at its finest!

For those of you who have ever desired a remotely tuned FSL system and/ or a 50 ohm output to use an FSL with a communications receiver, Bill's design is awesome-- and highly recommended!

73, Gary
 


i2NDT Claudio
 

hi Tony!
can you post a bigger schematic? I cannot read the components values.

thanks

73
de
i2NDT Claudio


Tony Magon
 

Hi Claudio

Have contacted the author to confirm the values and will respond when I get a reply from him

73

Tony VK2IC


On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM i2NDT i2NDT via Groups.Io <i2ndt=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
hi Tony!
can you post a bigger schematic? I cannot read the components values.

thanks

73
de
i2NDT Claudio


Michael.2E0IHW
 

Interesting development!

Has anyone tried an FSL for the 160m amateur radio band?

Where noise is a problem on 160m, a remotely tuned FSL might make
a big difference for reception, obviously switching to another aerial
for transmission.


On 08/06/2019 02:55, Tony Magon wrote:
I thought this article may be of interest

http://www.radiodx.com/remotely-tuned-5-inch-fsl-antenna/
73
Tony VK2IC
---
Diese E-Mail wurde von Avast Antivirus-Software auf Viren geprüft.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus


Chuck Conner
 

Tony,

We're still hoping for a readable schematic or failing that, a list of component values. 

73's
Chuck Conner


On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 3:18 AM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
Hi Claudio

Have contacted the author to confirm the values and will respond when I get a reply from him

73

Tony VK2IC

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM i2NDT i2NDT via Groups.Io <i2ndt=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
hi Tony!
can you post a bigger schematic? I cannot read the components values.

thanks

73
de
i2NDT Claudio


Tony Magon
 

All caps are 100nf - the two varicaps are Isv149 - The fixed resistor is 47k and the 10 turn pot is 10k

73

Tony VK2IC

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:17 PM Chuck Conner <cconnerinfield@...> wrote:
Tony,

We're still hoping for a readable schematic or failing that, a list of component values. 

73's
Chuck Conner

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 3:18 AM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
Hi Claudio

Have contacted the author to confirm the values and will respond when I get a reply from him

73

Tony VK2IC

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM i2NDT i2NDT via Groups.Io <i2ndt=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
hi Tony!
can you post a bigger schematic? I cannot read the components values.

thanks

73
de
i2NDT Claudio


Tony Magon
 

The resistor in the first diagram is 1m5

73

Tony VK2IC


On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 5:33 PM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
All caps are 100nf - the two varicaps are Isv149 - The fixed resistor is 47k and the 10 turn pot is 10k

73

Tony VK2IC

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:17 PM Chuck Conner <cconnerinfield@...> wrote:
Tony,

We're still hoping for a readable schematic or failing that, a list of component values. 

73's
Chuck Conner

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 3:18 AM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
Hi Claudio

Have contacted the author to confirm the values and will respond when I get a reply from him

73

Tony VK2IC

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM i2NDT i2NDT via Groups.Io <i2ndt=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
hi Tony!
can you post a bigger schematic? I cannot read the components values.

thanks

73
de
i2NDT Claudio


Chuck Conner
 

Thank you very much, Tony!  I will definitely try it out.

73's
Chuck


On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 2:37 AM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
The resistor in the first diagram is 1m5

73

Tony VK2IC

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 5:33 PM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
All caps are 100nf - the two varicaps are Isv149 - The fixed resistor is 47k and the 10 turn pot is 10k

73

Tony VK2IC

On Tue, Jun 18, 2019 at 1:17 PM Chuck Conner <cconnerinfield@...> wrote:
Tony,

We're still hoping for a readable schematic or failing that, a list of component values. 

73's
Chuck Conner

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 3:18 AM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:
Hi Claudio

Have contacted the author to confirm the values and will respond when I get a reply from him

73

Tony VK2IC

On Sat, Jun 8, 2019 at 4:27 PM i2NDT i2NDT via Groups.Io <i2ndt=yahoo.it@groups.io> wrote:
hi Tony!
can you post a bigger schematic? I cannot read the components values.

thanks

73
de
i2NDT Claudio


Tony Magon
 

Hi all


An amendment in regard to the capacitors in both circuits

They are 1n5 rpt 1n5 (1.5nf)

73

Toy VK2IC