Radiwow R-108 Quality Control (or Lack Thereof)

Gary DeBock

The Radiwow R-108 is a new, very compact Chinese-made AM-FM-LW-SW-AIR Ultralight radio which has recently become available to North American purchasers on eBay (such as this listing at $49.98, including free shipping  https://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIWOW-R-108-Radio-Digital-AM-FM-Portable-Stereo-LW-SW-AIR-DSP-World-Receiver/173793532305?hash=item2876e6d991:g:esMAAOSw1YRcZTng:rk:1:pf:0

     When my first R-108 model arrived a couple weeks ago it had an intermittent issue with loud oscillations on the high end of the AM band, but somehow that problem was completely corrected as the result of a 7.5 inch loopstick transplant. Since there were no more digital issues with my first (and only) R-108 model I was cautiously optimistic that the Chinese company was paying serious attention to quality control. Wrong!

     Today I received two more R-108 models (ordered from the listing above), and both of them have a "motorboating" sound when the volume control is increased. In one model this is pretty loud, while in the other model it is of moderate strength. This "motorboating" is not related to a weak battery (as was the case in old pocket transistor radios). The radio with the loud "motorboating" volume control also has continuous, internally-generated oscillations on the high band frequency of 1650 kHz, which is a relatively open frequency during the daytime here. Since Radiwow does not offer any kind of manufacturer's warranty on their radios, these quality control issues are a deal breaker, in my opinion. Because some other R-108 purchasers may be encountering these same type of issues I may try to troubleshoot the radios on my own rather than sending them back to China, but in order to avoid receiving a defective radio without any manufacturer's warranty I would strongly recommend that purchasers avoid this Radiwow R-108 model.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Rik

Thanks for the warning! I was afraid of that sort of thing. -FARMERIK

Chris Rogers

Maybe some feedback should be sent to the Chinese engineers so they can maybe sort these issues out. C Crane Skywave had similar problems with their first production run with whine and other issues. It wasn't long ago Radiwow were offering half price and discounted radios for unbiased reviews.

Gary DeBock

<<<   Maybe some feedback should be sent to the Chinese engineers so they can maybe sort these issues out. C Crane Skywave had similar problems with their first production run with whine and other issues. It wasn't long ago Radiwow were offering half price and discounted radios for unbiased reviews.   >>>

Thanks Chris,

So far three of the R-108 models have been received here, but several more have been ordered for an extensive quality control check.

Besides reporting all of the detailed R-108 quirks to this group I do plan to send a full report to Radiwow eventually, after all of the models have been thoroughly assessed. So far none of the three models was trouble-free out of the box, so this fact in combination with the lack of any warranty is pretty disastrous for a model's reputation. I don't plan to ask Radiwow for any troubleshooting on the defective models, since Navy-trained techs like Steve R. and I could probably fix them quicker than the Chinese reverse engineers, especially when no warranty is involved :-)

73, Gary

Michael.2E0IHW

On Samstag.16.03.19 02:24, Rik wrote:
Thanks for the warning! I was afraid of that sort of thing. -FARMERIK

ditto!
Michael UK

---