Jay is back reviewing! -FARMERIK

Rik

Yes, it's not an ULR, but it is interesting to me anyway. I have a collection of a dozen or so 2 D cell portables.

https://radiojayallen.com/panasonic-rf-562d-retro-design-am-fm-sw-portable-radio/

Peter Laws

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 11:14 AM Rik <farmerik@...> wrote:

Yes, it's not an ULR, but it is interesting to me anyway. I have a collection of a dozen or so 2 D cell portables.

https://radiojayallen.com/panasonic-rf-562d-retro-design-am-fm-sw-portable-radio/
Interesting radio. I wonder why it doesn't cover the entire "Standard
Broadcast"? Maybe they found a container of pre-1980s analog tuners
and decided to build a product instead of land-filling them?

Rik

My guess is it was never meant for North America. I don't know what other parts of the world have MW up to 1710 KHz. I would guess it is intended for Asia, Africa or the Middle East, but that is just a guess. That may also be why 2 D cells which probably power the radio for around 350 hours, so places with out reliable electricity.

It's like a trip back in time.- FARMERIK

Paul Blundell

That sounds like an interesting radio.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 4:14 AM Rik <farmerik@...> wrote:
Yes, it's not an ULR, but it is interesting to me anyway. I have a collection of a dozen or so 2 D cell portables.

https://radiojayallen.com/panasonic-rf-562d-retro-design-am-fm-sw-portable-radio/

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

gary_thorburn <gwt@...>

The "extended" AM (MW) band (including 1610-1700 kHz) was approved for North America in 1988.  Receivers typically did not tune beyond 1600 kHz before that.  The first extended band station in the US went on the air in 1995.  It was fun DXing above 1600 when there were very few stations there!

kevin asato <kc6pob@...>

Except for one broadcast station at 1650KHz in Southern Los Angeles County, everything I hear in the extended ban is Part 15 and therefore DX past a couple of miles - local community service broadcast, traffic information, etc ! They tend to cluster around 1630 so it's a challenge to pick them out.
73,
Kevin
kc6pob

Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Jay is back reviewing! -FARMERIK
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Date: Monday, March 4, 2019, 2:28 PM

The "extended"
AM (MW) band (including 1610-1700 kHz) was approved for
North America in 1988.  Receivers typically did not tune
beyond 1600 kHz before that.  The first extended band
station in the US went on the air in 1995.  It was fun
DXing above 1600 when there were very few stations there!

Vimal

You guessed correctly!!

On Tue, Mar 5, 2019 at 2:45 AM Rik <farmerik@...> wrote:
My guess is it was never meant for North America. I don't know what other parts of the world have MW up to 1710 KHz. I would guess it is intended for Asia, Africa or the Middle East, but that is just a guess. That may also be why 2 D cells which probably power the radio for around 350 hours, so places with out reliable electricity.

It's like a trip back in time.- FARMERIK

Paul S. in CT

When I did a 1-Transistor project in 2004, the only thing on 1690 was WPTX running CNN-Headline news. They went live IIRC in '05. Then Canada put two stations on 1690... Montreal and Toronto and nearly wiped out WPTX. The X-band is still fun, and the Canadians put some interesting ethnic stations, and a children's station there. From here (N.E. US) 1620-30-40 are still DX targets.

But yeah, most of the world is 522-1611 by 9kHz steps. I like the ICF-19, but have a ICF-36 non-UL kitchen radio. My day-to-day is the R-9012 and the Dirt-Cheap-DSP Vite 111 (ferrite bar outside of radio).

Regards
Paul S. in CT FN31nl

mediumwavedx

I just ordered this radio, the Panasonic RF-562D, partly based on Jay's positive review, and also because it's analog and not DSP-based. One of my favorite older radios I no longer have was the Panasonic RF-565, similar in size.

Can't wait to try it out. I'll add it to my spotter corral.

Bill
SW Arizona
RADIO-TIMETRAVELLER
https://radio-timetraveller.blogspot.com