"Novelty Radio"

Neil Goldstein

I guess a prison term is a novelty now?  I know there is novelty interest in a clear radio but thought this was funny anyway.

Probably not a bad ULR though.

Here's the link in case the attachment doesn't work:

https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-SR-35CL-Novelty-Pocket-Radio/dp/B01FIAV00U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1548172361&sr=1-1&keywords=Sangean+SR-35CL

Andy

What's this "prison term" thing?

Funny how the speaker grill is so massive, but there is no speaker there.  If it wasn't for the clear case, you might even think there was an actual loudspeaker behind that grill, like they used to have.  But no.  Must be used with earphones, or an external speaker.  I wonder how "excellent" the sound really is.  Also funny with the "ABS" imprinted on the inside of the (ABS plastic) front cover, so that it reads backwards when seen from outside.

Too bad it doesn't receive the whole AM band.  ;-)  (Yeah, it might, but I guess the labeling is more 'retro' this way, ending at 1600 kHz.)

For the $28 you can get radios that cover much more frequency spectrum than just AM and FM broadcast bands.

Andy

Peter Laws

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:55 AM Andy <ai.egrps@...> wrote:

What's this "prison term" thing?
There are prisons that don't allow inmates to have radios with opaque
cases. This is the prison version of some other radio.

Neil Goldstein

I know that Jay Allen liked the opaque version.

https://radiojayallen.com/pocket-portable-amfm-radios-update/

--Neil

Paul Blundell

That is a very intreating page. I will need to have a good read of it.

I am happy with my current radios but am always on the lookout for anything "good" I can add to my collection.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 8:29 AM Neil Goldstein <neilgoldstein@...> wrote:
I know that Jay Allen liked the opaque version.

https://radiojayallen.com/pocket-portable-amfm-radios-update/

--Neil

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX

John Ruschmeyer

The clear case would be required by a prison so that the radio can't be used to smuggle or hide contraband. (I'll skip the issue of whether one could unwind the coil of the AM antenna and use it to strangle someone.) I know that I've also seen pictures of clear TV sets, back in the day, also intended for prison use.

That said, there is/was a fascination with "clear" consumer products for a while, sometimes with added LED or neon lighting. I have also seen versions of radios such as the Grundig Mini 300PE in colored, translucent cases. I imagine that this is where the Amazon seller got the idea that it was a "novelty" radio.

radiojayallen

One thing to be aware of though is that often the clear prison versions lack certain in/out connections or features which are present in teh standard versions. Just FYI.

Rik

The first radio I noticed being offered in a clear case was the huge FreePlay clock spring wind up. Huge but a prison inmate would never have to buy batteries. The black case version in my collection simply says 'self powered energy' under the FreePlay name and Logo. It was designed for parts of the world with out reliable electricity and where buying batteries could be a problem. - FARMERIK