1330 kHz station, playing Jazz, Show Tunes, and music from the 1940s & 1950s.

Gary Vance

I’m hoping someone can give me a clue about a station I hear on 1330 kHz.

Almost every night, and every morning, until an hour after local sunrise, I hear a station that plays Jazz and music from the 1940s & 1950s.

The station plays one old tune after another.

Occasionally they will play a Michael Bublé tune. But it will always be a Standard from the 40s or 50s.

I don’t hear stations breaks or commercials.

If my mystery station would just ID every now and then, I know I could log them.

The station plays non-stop music, they even blow past  the ToH and BoH without IDing.

Another problem to identifying this station, is 1320 kHz WILS, a 25 kW / 1.9 kW station that is located less than 8 miles from my QTH.

WILS is a talk station and it’s not a big problem, until they go to breaks for news, weather or commercials.

Then they broadcast music during every break, it causes splatter on 1330 and 1310 kHz.

Sometimes the mystery stations comes in so well, I figure other DXers hear it too.

Any ideas what I am hearing?

BTW, I know it isn’t WEBO Owego, NY. Sometimes I can hear WEBO  over or under the Mystery Station. Besides, WEBO’s Oldies. aren’t as old as the Oldies played on my Mystery Station.

Thanks

73 Gary Vance Grand Ledge, MI

Jim Rittenhouse

Doing a quick format check of 1330 kHz in your wider area, Iowa-Boston-Virginia-Kentucky-Minneapolis and not coming up with anything outside some odd stuff on WRCA Boston.  Checking Canada....

Jim Rittenhouse
Lisle, IL USA 60532

On Feb 25, 2016, at 6:05 PM, 'G Vance URL' gvance11@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

[...]

Try checking WANG AM 1330 kHz in North Carolina, kicking out 1kw day or night.

[...]

It's on tunein.com if you find it again and want to compare it to what you're hearing.

Jim Rittenhouse
Lisle, IL USA 60532

On Feb 25, 2016, at 10:29 PM, 'jim@...' jim@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Juarez

Hi Vince, I think the station is here in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Not sure which suburban city. During the day they broadcast in Russian or Polish. But in the morning when I get up they are broadcasting music from the 40's and 50's. I have listened to this station for approximately one hour in the morning. They never id. Right now they are playing "Mc nmaras band". But I think this is your mystery station. There very strong during the day. But right now they are 4915 rrsi on my Tecsun pl 390.

Thank you and best regards,
Paul Juarez
Sent from my HP Slate 7 Extreme Tablet

robert ross

On 2016-02-26, at 6:24 AM, qa1433@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

Hi Vince, I think the station is here in the northern suburbs of Chicago. Not sure which suburban city. During the day they broadcast in Russian or Polish. But in the morning when I get up they are broadcasting music from the 40's and 50's. I have listened to this station for approximately one hour in the morning. They never id. Right now they are playing "Mc nmaras band". But I think this is your mystery station. There very strong during the day. But right now they are 4915 rrsi on my Tecsun pl 390.

Thank you and best regards,
Paul Juarez
Sent from my HP Slate 7 Extreme Tablet

If that's who this turns out to be ….it is WKTA Evanston, ILLINOIS 5 kW/110 Watts Nights.

I have heard them many times with ETHNIC Programming, but have never caught the Standards Music Format…….I'll keep an ear for that now you've pointed it out Paul!!

There you go Gary…The ULR List has saved the day again!!

Good Work Paul…….

73….ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

jtcasejr@...

The station is WKTA in Evanston, IL. I heard the exact music you describe on 1330 AM, up until 5:59 AM CST when they finally broadcast the station ID and changed over to Russian Programming.

John

Gary Vance

They never ID. Right now they are playing "MacNamara's Band".

Thanks guys. I never suspected my Mystery Station could be WKTA Evanston, IL.

I’ve heard them before, but it’s when they are broadcasting Polish or Russian.

Paul Juarez, thanks. "MacNamara's Band" is a tune I have heard at least three times in my quest to ID the Mystery Station.

I have heard Louis Armstrong “The Dummy” Doris Day “By the Light of the Silv'ry Moon” and Perry Como songs.

Jim Rittenhouse, I too, suspected it might be 1330 WANG.

When I go to Tune In,  they report “No streams available” for 1330 WANG.

I can’t find any active online streams for WKTA or WANG.

Plenty of sites will take you to WANG and WKTA but they all report errors when I attempt to listen.

John, thanks for in information about the station.

And to my friend Rob Ross, thank you for goading me into joining this group.

You guys, may have saved my sanity.

73 Gary Vance Grand Ledge, MI.