Advice for a newbie

Joe

Hello, I am new to Ultralight DX,ing and would like some advice on the best chances for receiving LW DX stations from my location in Buffalo, NY. I've seen some of the logs with reception of European stations and it seems that most are received along the Eastern Seaboard. Am I to far in to receive these stations from my location. My equipment is a GP-5/SSB and a Sangean DT-250. Has anyone had any luck with these radios?

Rik

I use a 500 foot unterminated Beverage to hear European LW broadcasts. It points ENE, which I think heads more toward Northern Europe, certainly not toward France. I am about 60 miles inland from Boston harbor, but you may be closer to 550 miles inland from the Atlantic. In my experience radio waves travel better along water such as the Great Lakes and The St. Lawrence river, but as I said you are a long way inland. I used to use a temporary BOG antenna which I would lay across my field after mowing season, but some run very temporary BOG antennas just for a night or maybe a week if possible at some remote location.

Others in this group have LW FSL antennas, maybe they could work for you, I really don't know.

Could you tell me how to get my GP-5/SSB into LW? I thought you had to select 9 KHz. steps which I did, but  it still will not tune below MW. Technically a GP-5/SSB is not an ULR because it has SSB by the way.  I was able to hear some LW broadcasts from I believe the Middle East on my other ULR's with a temporary BOG heading SE a few years ago. That was the PL-360 or the PL-310.

-FARMERIK

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

On 17.02.16 03:25, farmerik@... [ultralightdx] wrote:
. . .
Others in this group have LW FSL antennas, maybe they could work for
you, I really don't know.
-------------------
Do we have reports of reception in the US of European LW broadcast stations with any of the FSL designs. I imagine the maxi-version would be most likely to pull in European LW stations. One needs quite a bit of real estate for a Beverage! That said, it is uncertain how much
longer Europe will be on LW.

Michael
on a little island east of The Pond :-)

Gary DeBock

Hi Michael,

<<<   Do we have reports of reception in the US of European LW broadcast
stations with any of the FSL designs?   >>>

Yes. Rob Ross of London, Ontario has received almost all of the European Longwave broadcasters with his 7" Longwave FSL antenna. Richard Allen of Oklahoma has even received several of them with a PL-360 plug-in  7.5" Longwave loopstick.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

-------------------
Do we have reports of reception in the US of European LW broadcast
stations with any of the FSL designs. I imagine the maxi-version would
be most likely to pull in European LW stations. One needs quite a bit of
real estate for a Beverage! That said, it is uncertain how much
longer Europe will be on LW.

Michael
on a little island east of The Pond :-)

Joe

Thanks for the helpful infomation. To get the radio into LW, you hold the 9 khz button down and then hold down the MW button. This should work.

Rik

Thanks, with your help I was able to get the display on the GP-5/SSB to read LW frequencies, but all I heard on both the BOG and a 50 foot aerial was images from MW which were stronger than beacons, and nothing sounded like LW, although possibly there was a signal buried some where. I wondered if band conditions were much worse than I had the other night, so I tried the SONY ICF-SW7600GR and confirmed they are. With the variable antenna input ATT, I could get rid of the images from MW, but not hear any listen able LW stations tonight.

When actually tuning LW broadcasts on the ICOM, they sound similar for a few 1 KHz. steps, but every 1 KHz step sounded different on the GP-5/SSB.

-FARMERIK