Compare Tecsun PL-606 to the PL-380

Dave Hascall

Hello Gary and fellow ULR enthusiasts!

As some of you may remember, I purchased a Tecsun PL-606, to augment my Eton e-100 and to take advantage of the Tecsun's adjustable bandwidth.  Since I live in a bi-level home, I have one on each floor.

Gary warned me about the freakish tuning that the Tecsun uses with no tuning knob or direct frequency entry.  While the adjustable bandwidth has netted me a few new stations, I have been frustrated by the tuning oddities of the PL-606.  The fact thatr there is no way of setting the light to stay on, is another issue.

Having read lots about the PL-380, I am considering replacing the PL-606 with the PL-380.

Here are some questions that I have (yes I downloaded a PL-380 manual but some things are not clear to me.  Maybe it's me but maybe it's the way the writer translated it):

How does the PL-380 compare to the 606 in terms of barefoot sensitivity?  And how does the 380 compare to my e-100 bf?

Is there a frequency up/down button  to advance in 10 KHz steps?  I use this on my e-100, as my main way of flipping through the band.   Tuning knobs usually deafult to 1 KHz steps until you spin it long/ fast enough

Is there a direct way of entering a frequency?  There is on my e-100 and it's the fastes way for me to hop from say 700 to 1340.

Can I make the light stay on longer than 3 seconds?  Another drawback on the 606.

Many thanks!

73,
Dave Hascall
Dave in Indy

Paul Juarez

Hi Dave,
I bought the Tecsun PL390. It is very hot on Shortwave-AM-FM. I was impressed with the way it receives. I live here in Chicago land about 5 miles away from WBBM,  WSCR, WGN and I  am about 2 miles away from a 50 kw station on 1160. I don't have any images on this radio. There are no strange DSP birdies on this radio either. There is also a way to turn off the muting and Agc circuit on the Internet. It was a uTube video. Works great on AM and Shortwave. All in all is the same radio as the PL380. Only with two ✌ speakers. I like it and it performs outstandingly. Hope this helps you with your decision.
Best regards,
Paul Juarez
Sent from my HP Slate 7 Extreme Tablet

On Jan 20, 2016 10:40 AM, "Dave Hascall dhinfomedia@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

[...]

josephrot

Paul...

Thank you for bringing he PL-390 to our attention.

Although the PL-390 does not do SSB reception, I had an opportunity to handle a new one for about an hour, and I must agree with you...the performance is surprisingly sensitive and devoid of "odd-ball problems", and the unit makes a fine "good for a lot of people" LW / AM (MW) / SW and FM receiver in my humble opinion.

And yes, it certainly appears as two-speaker "version" of the PL-380, yet the 390 definitely seems improved in many performance areas over the PL-380.

It's an interesting find, and I may add one to my Tecsun PL-660 that I really like as well.

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA
Skype; joerotello (audio / video / chat)

---In ultralightdx@..., <qa1433@...> wrote :

<<  I bought the Tecsun PL390. It is very hot on Shortwave-AM-FM. I was impressed with the way it receives. I live here in Chicago land about 5 miles away from WBBM,  WSCR, WGN and I  am about 2 miles away from a 50 kw station on 1160. I don't have any images on this radio. There are no strange DSP birdies on this radio either. There is also a way to turn off the muting and Agc circuit on the Internet. >>

Rik

I had both the 390 and 310 and preferred the 310 and liked the 310ETM even better for my uses on AM FM and SW. Never had the 380 myself though. Based on Gary's reviews comparing the 310 and 380 I chose the 310 for some reason I forget. This of course is just another opinion. I do not chase 9KHz stations from my inland location in CT.  I also think the stock 310 is much better than a stock 360 or GP-5/SSB barefoot, but it is so easy to use any sort of wire or loop connected directly to those two models.- FARMERIK

Oliver Lomax

The only reason why one would prefer the 310 over the 380 is the fact it has an antenna socket.

I've had the 310, the 310ETM and the 380. The older 310 is sighly better than the ETM version and equal in terms of performance to the 380.

If you carry the set around a lot prefer the 380, on both my 310 the tuning knob got lost. On the 380 you can't lose it.

Le 22/01/2016 15:49, farmerik@... [ultralightdx] a crit:

I had both the 390 and 310 and preferred the 310 and liked the 310ETM even better for my uses on AM FM and SW. Never had the 380 myself though. Based on Gary's reviews comparing the 310 and 380 I chose the 310 for some reason I forget. This of course is just another opinion. I do not chase 9KHz stations from my inland location in CT. I also think the stock 310 is much better than a stock 360 or GP-5/SSB barefoot, but it is so easy to use any sort of wire or loop connected directly to those two models.- FARMERIK

Russ Edmunds

For me, the external antenna input was key. For my use for AM and FM, I see no substantial differences between the older 310 and the ETM.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NW Phila
Grid FN20id
<wb2bjh@...>

AM: Modified Sony ICF2010's (2) barefoot w/whip
FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder;
Onkyo T-450RDS; Tecsun PL-310 ( 2);
modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15';
Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip

Le 22/01/2016 15:49, farmerik@... [ultralightdx] a écrit :

I had both the 390 and 310 and preferred the 310 and liked the 310ETM even better for my uses on AM FM and SW. Never had the 380 myself though. Based on Gary's reviews comparing the 310 and 380 I chose the 310 for some reason I forget. This of course is just another opinion. I do not chase 9KHz stations from my inland location in CT.  I also think the stock 310 is much better than a stock 360 or GP-5/SSB barefoot, but it is so easy to use any sort of wire or loop connected directly to those two models.- FARMERIK

Rik

I didn't notice any performance  difference between my 310 and my 310ET, but another thing to keep in mind with TECSUN and similar radios is they are not always consistent over time and from one set made at the same time as another. However, they still normally offer great value, even if they are a little unpredictable.

I greatly prefer having an antenna jack so I can easily access an antenna ground but I think I liked the 310 better than the 390 for other reasons too, but I don't remember what they were.

My opinion is of course just an opinion I am sure others would not share.

-FARMERIK

Dave Hascall

Thanks for the info on the 390 but can someone answer my initial questions on comparing the 380 to the 606?  I'm really interested in if I can press a button and move up or down in 10 KHz increments, if I can directly enter in a frequency and if there is a way to keep the light on.

73
Dave in Indy

Tony King <tonyzl@...>

I own the PL606 and PL380 (2 versions). PL606 steps in 9 or 10 khz increments. See the delete  button in the bottom row - toggles 9 or 10 khz.  The PL606 is just knob tuning - no direct entry keypad - the only reason I bought one is for its larger ferrite rod. The light only comes on when you move frequency - a nuisance in the dark.

Best wishes from NZ

Tony

Tony King <tonyzl@...>

Thanks to Paul Juarez the link on Yout.ube about cancelling thwe softy mute on the pl380 pL310 ETC

Tony King <tonyzl@...>

Sorry guys for premature send.
Thanks to Paul for his lead to the You Tube video on cancelling soft mute on the Tecsuns and hence increasing the gain. Have been busy on the VF button !

Tony in ZL

Dave Hascall

Thanks for the reply Tony on comparing the two radios.  Does the 380 have a shorter ferrite rod, than the 606?  Does the 380 have a way of keeping the light on? Thanks!
73
Dave in Indy

Paul Juarez

Hi all,
Works great on my Pl 390. Glad it worked for other pl 300 series radios.
73's and Thank you,