3" FSL Tecsun PL-380 Construction Parts-- Availability Update

Gary DeBock

Thanks to the timely assistance of Scott Davis and my Kiwi buddy Tony King we are now "swimming" in the Funnoodle inner core material for the 3" FSL PL-380 project. If you are having trouble tracking this down, please let me know.

Despite the very high demand for the Russian surplus 100mm x 20mm x 3mm ferrite bars I still do have a few more sets (of 8) that I can provide at my own cost ($25, including shipping to the USA) on a first come, first served basis. Since there is an extreme demand for these bars please do not request a set unless you actually plan on building the 3" FSL PL-380 model. All of the DXers who have paid for a set of 8 bars (in both the USA and international areas) should have them shipped out by Tuesday.

An alternative 3" FSL PL-380 design using the commonly available 62mm x 12mm x 4mm Russian surplus bars has been created for those who cannot track down the 100mm long bars. Assembly information for this alternative design will probably be added as an addendum to the "Heathkit-like" construction article for the original model (posted at http://www.mediafire.com/download/w0gcek56f6aq7kr/3_Inch_FSL_Tecsun_PL.doc  This alternative version is not as sensitive as the original version-- the FSL's ferrite length x coil diameter "sensitivity rating" is 186, compared to 300 for the original version. However, all of the parts to construct it are readily available, and its performance is still superior to that of a 7.5" loopstick transplant.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Rik

Tell me more about this 'Sensitivity Rating' please. For example, my toroid stack uses  3 inch coils over a 13.5 inch long stack. What would that rate? It has very sharp peaks when pointed exactly at a station, but does not null out completely other stations a few degrees off to the sides. I hear a much improved S/N exactly at one direction on the target station though. And compared to my short 500 foot BOG most all other weak  stations on a frequency disappear, since the short BOG is not terribly directional at most AM BCB frequencies I think. - FARMERIK

Gary DeBock

Hi Farmerik,

<<<   Tell me more about this 'Sensitivity Rating' please.    >>>

The FSL "sensitivity rating" formula was determined after detailed A/B experimentation with 8 different FSL test models in 2012. The full details are contained in the article posted at  http://www.mediafire.com/view/6oyoldllrbiwf91/FSL_Antenna_Design_Optimization.doc

The "coil diameter times ferrite length" sensitivity rating system only applies for true FSL antennas using the same type of Litz wire, same ferrite permeability and the same construction components. As such, there is no way to judge the sensitivity rating of your antenna compared to FSL antennas, Farmerik.

73, Gary deBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Tell me more about this 'Sensitivity Rating' please. For example, my toroid stack uses  3 inch coils over a 13.5 inch long stack. What would that rate? It has very sharp peaks when pointed exactly at a station, but does not null out completely other stations a few degrees off to the sides. I hear a much improved S/N exactly at one direction on the target station though. And compared to my short 500 foot BOG most all other weak  stations on a frequency disappear, since the short BOG is not terribly directional at most AM BCB frequencies I think. - FARMERIK

Bill <bill@...>

Gary,

Thanks for posting the link to your article. In all that I've read about the FSL, I haven't seen any "directivity" comparisons given between the various implementations. Your thoughts.

Regards...Bill

On 1/18/2016 1:46 PM, D1028Gary@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

Hi Farmerik,

[...]

Thanks Gary- FARMERIK

Gary DeBock

Hi Bill,

<<<   Thanks for posting the link to your article. In all that I've read about the FSL, I haven't seen any "directivity" comparisons given between the various implementations. Your thoughts.   >>>

As for "directivity," the FSL antennas have a figure-8 (non-cardiod) reception pattern, and are not very directional in the desired angle of reception. As long as the antenna bearing is with about 30 degrees of the desired DX station's bearing, there isn't very much difference in signal strength. When the angle is greater than 60 degrees the signal drops off noticeably, however. When DXing on the Oregon cliffs you generally can choose between Asian stations (around 300 degrees) and DU stations (from 210-240 degrees), but not both.

FSL's can be made extremely directional for nulling pest stations, however. The new 3" FSL Tecsun PL-380 models can null out almost all of my pest stations, but the null bearing must be within about 1 degree of the station's bearing in order to do this. When you get a couple of degrees off of the null bearing the pest station strength is as strong as ever. An extremely clean RF reception pattern is important for these nulls; the FSL coil must be as symmetrical as possible, and lead-in wires must be as short as possible. The hard-wired FSL's have a critical advantage in this aspect, since there is no variable capacitor to disturb the clean RF reception pattern.