County Comm GP-5/SSB ?'s- FARMERIK

Rik

I am thinking about one of these GP-5/SSB radios to tune my ferrite antenna project. The input for the MW/LW antenna also connects to SW so it could tune an antenna coil wound  for the Tropical bands which interest me  as well as MW.

I am thinking I would cut card stock to fit under the 'pocket clip' so the radio does not fall to the sides on an angled plastic stand.

I am familiar with the PL-360. Adding SSB with ETM for the Ham bands may prove interesting.

Anybody here use the County Comm?

-FARMERIK

Gary Sargent

Yes, I've had one for several months now and really like it. FM and SW, especially SSB performance is very good. AM/MW, even withe the external plug in antenna, is good but not as good as say a stock PL380. The tuning control is a clicky type encoder and there is a fraction of a second time for it tune from the last to the next frequency. So rapidly tuning through a band won't happen. The default tuning increments, even with a slow and fast modes, does not allow rapid tuning from one place to another. For example .. quickly going from the high end of the MW BCB to the low takes many spins of the tuning control.  The memories and the two methods of scanning a band and storing the frequencies works well and helps a lot in getting from one place to another. It is solidly built and I think sounds fine for such a small unit and small speaker. Of the small radios I have, the GP5 SSB is the easiest to tune in SSB.  Except for the AM MW performance, it compares very similar in what it hears to my DE1103. Recommended.

Guy Atkins

I totally agree with that assessment! I nice handheld radio with precise tuning of SSB, but rather fiddly to operate, especially if you're in a hurry.

One comment on the plastic belt clip. You don't need to stick paper beneath it to help keep the radio from rocking on a tilted stand. The clip is removable, so just pop it off. Then the back of the radio is perfectly flat.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

---In ultralightdx@..., <GarySargent@...> wrote :

[...]

dave_m1ctk

I have yet to get one these, would be good if it had the Russian FM band on it also though I know this is pointless in the US but here in the UK often signals are heard in the 66 - 72 MHz range via Sporadic E of course (Summer months)

---In ultralightdx@..., wrote :

[...]

Yes .. the GP5/SSB is tall and narrow .. not so steady to stand up on its own without something tipping it over. But yes, take of the belt clip and it can lay nicely on its left side and that makes it a decent night stand radio. (or other table)

Gary KE8WO

Rik

Thanks for all the answers.

My main reason for wanting the GP5/SSB is for a new loop antenna I am working on, one more of dozens. Like the PL-360 it will tune the loop directly.The same jack for the little plug in loop connects the SW section to what ever loop I choose. Combined with the ETM feature for antenna tests like the midday AM station counts,  the GP5 the adds the ability to tune ALL of the SW spectrum and in SSB the Ham meter bands can be searched with ETM if I read reviews correctly. Usually I focus on a fairly narrow frequency spectrum, and have other radios with key pads.

Maybe all DSP radios do not have the frustrating problem of needing to be tuned off several 'channels' and brought back to the frequency of a TUNED in loop. That makes peaking a DSP radio to a tuned loop very difficult for me.  I have used an analog set to tune in a loop, then switched to a DSP radio, but that is cumbersome, and impossible to do the comparison ETM scans I like as well. Without modification, only the '360 & GP5 allow the direct tuning of loop antennas by the DSP radio  as far as I know. From some online source, I found the GP5 can also scan just one meter band. Not sure if that would be in ATS or ETM. That too would be great for antenna tests. With the PL-310 the SW meter band ETM scans are usually slow enough so I can take note of the number when it goes up to the next meter band, and later subtract to find the number of stations found in each SW meter band with an antenna. For example, this would tell me at what band my BOG  is no longer better than another antenna like my 50 foot aerial.

-FARMERIK

Lee

Do you have a URL for the GP5/SSB PLEASE ??

Thanks.

Lee...G6ZSG.

farmerik

Nov 20 10:14 PM
I am thinking about one of these GP-5/SSB radios to tune my ferrite antenna project. The input for the MW/LW antenna also connects to SW so it could tune an antenna coil wound  for the Tropical bands which interest me  as well as MW.

I am thinking I would cut card stock to fit under the 'pocket clip' so the radio does not fall to the sides on an angled plastic stand.

I am familiar with the PL-360. Adding SSB with ETM for the Ham bands may prove interesting.

Anybody here use the County Comm?

-FARMERIK

Rik

CountyComm - CountyComm GP-5 SSB Radio

Here are a few to enjoy- FARMERIK

CountyComm GP-5/SSB, County Comm GP-5SSB, Tecsun PL-365

N9EWO Review Tecsun PL-360 PL-365 PL-380 CountyComm GP-5/SSB

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

The design looks really good, Farmerik.
Amazingly, the three pictures showed in the email - usually attachments don't.
So  how did you upload them?   A step-by-step "tutorial" would be very welcome!

Michael

CountyComm GP-5/SSB, County Comm GP-5SSB, Tecsun PL-365

N9EWO Review Tecsun PL-360 PL-365 PL-380 CountyComm GP-5/SSB

Gary Sargent

That sounds like a fun use of the GP5’s unique external loop option.

By the way, while the Bengals were in the process of getting bested last night .. I did some additional comparisons of the GP5 and my PL380 on the AM BCB. The GP5 compares very well .. better than I thought before given a more cursory look a few months ago. With the external loop antenna plugged into the GP5, it heard largely equally as well as the PL380 across the whole AM BCB. A few stations were weaker on one or the other. Using the signal strength display on both radios, the GP5 was frequently reporting signals a few or more db stronger. Unplugging the external loop would drop the GP5’s reported signal  db by 15 to even 25 db.

Gary KE8WO

Emily Keene

Your comparison of the 380 and the County Comm are the same as my own results comparing these radios. The detachable antenna is as important for good MW reception as you state.

Emily Keene
New Jersey

On Monday, November 23, 2015 8:45 AM, "'Gary Sargent' GarySargent@... [ultralightdx]" wrote:

That sounds like a fun use of the GP5’s unique external loop option.

By the way, while the Bengals were in the process of getting bested last night .. I did some additional comparisons of the GP5 and my PL380 on the AM BCB. The GP5 compares very well .. better than I thought before given a more cursory look a few months ago. With the external loop antenna plugged into the GP5, it heard largely equally as well as the PL380 across the whole AM BCB. A few stations were weaker on one or the other. Using the signal strength display on both radios, the GP5 was frequently reporting signals a few or more db stronger. Unplugging the external loop would drop the GP5’s reported signal  db by 15 to even 25 db.

Gary KE8WO

Rik

I have have no idea how Yahoo puts the photo and listing into a post. It is not something I did, it happens after I enter a link [sometimes?]- FARMERIK

Lee

Thanks for URL`s very interesting... isn`t this the Tecsun PL360 ???

Here are a few to enjoy- FARMERIK

Regards.

Lee...G6ZSG.

Rik

It does look like the PL-360, but it has Single Side Band [SSB] reception used by Hams and the antenna jack for the removable ferrite for MW & LW also connects the radio  for SW.

I did order one from Universal Radio which should be here Wednesday.

According to the reviews I have found on line, the Easy Tuning Method scan can be done in the Ham bands when set on SSB, and scans can be done on a single SW band, either broadcast or Ham.

I use the ETM scans to compare antennas all the time on the PL-310.

The main reason I want one is these radios allow a loop antenna coil  to be plugged in and instead of using an external cap to tune the loop, the radio will tune  for each frequency in a second or two. Then I will be able to quickly compare loop antennas with out having to manually tune them to each frequency.

-FARMERIK

Lee

farmerik
Today at 1:05 PM
It does look like the PL-360, but it has Single Side Band [SSB] reception used by Hams and the antenna jack for the removable ferrite for MW & LW also connects the radio  for SW.

I did order one from Universal Radio which should be here Wednesday.

According to the reviews I have found on line, the Easy Tuning Method scan can be done in the Ham bands when set on SSB, and scans can be done on a single SW band, either broadcast or Ham.

I use the ETM scans to compare antennas all the time on the PL-310.

The main reason I want one is these radios allow a loop antenna coil  to be plugged in and instead of using an external cap to tune the loop, the radio will tune  for each frequency in a second or two. Then I will be able to quickly compare loop antennas with out having to manually tune them to each frequency.

-FARMERIK

I`m sure I saw a Tecsun PL360 with ssb tune ?? ... anyway.. the radio you have sounds very good
on sideband mode.. I suppose Amazon uk will be stocking them before too long !!
I do most of my listening on a Winradio G305i sdr and a Wellbrook pro 1 metre loop ...

Regards FARMERIK.

Lee...G6ZSG.

Rik

Tecsun did make a similar looking PL-365 with SSB. County Comm is the company who had them made. Not sure they will sell on Amazon UK, they specialize in small equipment for US government contract  sales, and also sell from California.
CountyComm - CountyComm GP-5 SSB Radio

 They do have an intermediary who ships Internationally for them-
CountyComm - International Shipping

Gary Sargent

The pl365 was briefly on eBay earlier this year and then pulled. Maybe because County Comm had exclusive rights. I didn't see a pl365 but believe it was a GP5 but with pl365 markings and packaging. There was some discussion about this on another news group back then.

Gary  KE8WO