SONY midday mini test-FARMERIK

Rik

I ran another midday AM station count test today. I just count the number of stations with understandable sound which could be identified  with more time. Tests conducted Fri 30 Oct 2015 starting at 12 noon and ending at 12:40 PM.

For a baseline comparison of band and location conditions I ran the automatic  ETM scan feature on my PL-310ET.

Pre test- ETM=11 Stations
Post test- ETM=12 Stations

The new SONY ICF-P36=29 Stations

The new SONY ICF-P26=33 Stations

This surprised me as the P36 is larger and has a horizontal layout with far more room for a longer ferrite antenna inside the case.

Based on factory specs, I did not expect the P36 to be less than the 20 cubic inches needed to qualify as an ULR. I took very careful measurements of 5.1 X 2.6 X 1.37 inches for the radio and the FM antenna lays along the outside of the back of the radio about 4.5 inches long and 0.2 inches in diameter. Maybe others can double check my math, but I think it is around 17 cubic inches. They say it is about 2 inches deep, including the FM whip.

The P36 is easier to tune with the thumb wheel. With the P26 I had to engage a finger nail in the thumb wheel.

They both look like they should be approve able as ULR sets, and seem quite competitive at least in my brief tests. Prices are below $50.

-FARMERIK

K8HU and ex-NMN

Thats an interesting test.

--