Mid day Quick shoot out-FARMERIK

Rik

Just a 'quick' AM scan comparison from the same spot in my radio room with the radios held in the same direction just to be fair. All 'understandable' stations counted, which is subjective. I did not take the time to slowly  turn 90 degrees on each frequency  and get more stations. Testing both analog and digitally tuned radios would have been hard not to miss some without taking hours to complete the test when band conditions might have changed. This took about 1.5 hours 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM local time Mon 26 Oct 2015.

PL-600=32
PL-310ET auto scan=16
CC Pocket=13
SONY ICF-M260=32
SONY ICR-P15=25
SONY ICF-P26=40

Just to describe the SONY models-

ICF-M260 On the market for years, digital. Selectivity not good as strong stations can be heard 10 KHz away. I was surprised how well it did. It is just about the max size for an ULR. Around $40

ICR-P15 acts completely analog, AM band only, sold in Japan for at least a few years and some times seen on eBay around $30 Shirt pocket size well under 20 CID.

ICF-P26 This is a new model sold in Europe and Asia and listed on SONY USA. eBay under $25.

-FARMERIK

keith beesley

Thanks Farmerik, that's useful information :-)

Keith B.
Seattle WA

Clyde Smith <hkryclyde@...>

question.  was the survey done using the radios scanning features or going up the band by hand???    thanks   clyde

On Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:46 PM, "keith1226@... [ultralightdx]" wrote:

Thanks Farmerik, that's useful information :-)

Keith B.
Seattle WA

m_a_schuster

Have you tried the SRF-18? A just-larger-than-ultralight with stereo speakers. I had gotten once just before the last big NEUS storm and is ran for days on batteries when we had no power. Handled very much like a grown-up SRF-59 with speakers.

Rik

Only the PL-310ET has the Easy Tuning Method scanning built in. Last time I did both a manually tuned AM 'scan' and used the ETM feature  with the PL-310ET and there was not a big difference in results. So I just did the one PL-310 ETM scan for comparison because I figure band conditions could be different on different days.

Remember this is just a quick test, so all results could be + or - maybe 10%?

I listed them in the order I did the scans too.  If I was focused on fewer radios the scans would be closer in time. Probably would not make much difference. 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM is all Midday.

The three new SONY radio models with extremely similar specs are looking promising. Unfortunately only the smallest, the P26 should qualify as an ULR. In the evening I definitely  hear more on the largest of the three, the ICF-306. The mid size P36 is still on its way from the UK. I will compare those three if there seems to be any interest. I still can not figure out exactly what is different about them as I tune from station to station.

-FARMERIK

Rik

That is one I don't have [yet]. It looks nice though. All my SONY radios are very good on battery life, and the ones which come with SONY  batteries, those cells seem to last forever. If you go to one of the SONY Corp.  sites for different continents, they always list battery life on each band in the SPECS sections , some times for both Alkaline and 'regular' batteries. It looks like this new line may replace a number of SONY models. I could not find ANY Walkman radios on SONY USA recently, but maybe I missed them. The P26 is a little larger than the Walkmans, but shirt pocket size, and the newest tiny SONY speakers are better than before.

My ICF-B08 has a speaker opening only about 1 and 1/4 inches, but the sound is not nearly as bad as I expected. That is the wind up / USB charger / LED flashlight or area light / AM FM radio with USA tuning ranges. Lots of other versions on eBay with different  tuning ranges, some have solar cells on top instead of an area LED light. Too thick to be an ULR, like the P26, but about 3X5 inches. Since I had the ICF-B08 out, I plugged in stereo head phones and both channels work, so these new models are not the first SONY portables to have stereo compatible headphone jacks on mono radios as I thought.

There are just SO MANY SONY portables in production, I know I'll never have more than a small % of them.

-FARMERIK