Sony ICF-P26

Ryan Martin

I see Sony has a new ultralight radio. Here's the Amazon link for the ICF-P26>

Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black): Electronics

I'm wondering how it's reception is compared to a SRF-59.

Ryan

Rik

There are two new larger SONY radios with the same styling. I have the ICF-306 and it seems good and hears an awful lot on AM inductively  coupled or with the 'FM' whip connected to my BOG. I am planning on ordering the other two soon. All three run on 2 AA cells and have 100 mW audio. The manuals for the larger two say the head phone jack works with stereo head phones [both sides have sound] and that is true with the ICF-306 and it drives my Klipschorn well too at modest volume of course. In the past, modest SONY portables had mono earphone/external speaker jacks. - FARMERIK

gotoliv@...

Amazon claims that the Sony ICF-P26 is a replacement for the Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio. 

- mark

mediumwavedx

Makes sense, as the S10MK2 tops out at 1600 KHz yet is still being sold in retail outlets in North America. The X-band has been here for a long time.

Bill

Marc Coevoet

I've seen a horizontal version of this radio in a krefel.be shop

Marc

Op 13 okt. 2015 15:59 schreef "rmartin100@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...>:

Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Bla...
Enjoy AM and FM radio virtually anywhere with the Sony ICF-P26 Portable AM/FM Radio. You can use the built-in 100mW speaker or attach headphones to the 1/...
Preview by Yahoo

Ryan

Rik

Look here for the ebay listings -

Sony ICF-306 Black 2-Band AM/FM Travel Portable Radio New

or

eBay item number:
I have that one.

Sony ICF-P36 Black 2-Band AM/FM Travel Portable Radio New

or -

eBay item number:

These two are horizontal. All three have the two LED indicators, BATT & TUNE, the 100mW output and are compatible with stereo headphones, ie sounds comes out of both ear pieces. Speakers are larger in the larger cabinets, but the circuitry could all be the same. Hopefully the ferrite is longer in the larger cases too. The ICF-306 has very good audio for its size. It uses a 66 mm speaker which is the same size as the ICF-SW-11 but the audio is better to my ear. Virtually no noises, whistles or whines  between stations unless very close to an RFI source which is par for a SONY. The tuning is a thumb wheel on top, not the knob on the side. It can travel about 3/4 inch per 'pass' and it takes 10 times to get across the bands. - FARMERIK

---In ultralightdx@..., <sintsixtus@...> wrote :

I've seen a horizontal version of this radio in a krefel.be shop

Marc

Op 13 okt. 2015 15:59 schreef "rmartin100@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...>:

Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Bla...
Enjoy AM and FM radio virtually anywhere with the Sony ICF-P26 Portable AM/FM Radio. You can use the built-in 100mW speaker or attach headphones to the 1/...
Preview by Yahoo

Ryan

Rik

My SONY ICF-P26 just arrived. It certainly is small enough to be an ULR.

Who do I email with the details of how it seems to qualify for ULR approval?

I have done more listening to the larger ICF-306. At night coupled to the BOG AM is very crowded. I logged-

WZON 620 5KW-260 miles
WILK 980 1KW-201 miles
WDCX 990 2.5 KW 302 miles
WRCA 1330 17 KW 52 miles

None are new logs, but are not easy to hear stations by any means here, and it is only mid Oct.

-FARMERIK

Rik

Preliminary Mid day AM station count-

Tecsun PL-310ET=14 ETM search
SONY ICF-P26=31 understandable stations

I wondered what would happen if I manually went through AM on the Tecsun, so did and got an understandable station count of 13.

All three tests between 12:30 and 12:50 PM local time. [midday]

Looks promising for the SONY.

-FARMERIK

texnote

Can you open up the Sony to see what DSP chip (potentially) is it using?

Paul

To: ultralightdx@...
Sent: Saturday, October 17, 2015 9:51 AM
Subject: Re: [ultralightdx] Sony ICF-P26

Preliminary Mid day AM station count-

Tecsun PL-310ET=14 ETM search
SONY ICF-P26=31 understandable stations

I wondered what would happen if I manually went through AM on the Tecsun, so did and got an understandable station count of 13.

All three tests between 12:30 and 12:50 PM local time. [midday]

Looks promising for the SONY.

-FARMERIK

Rik

Sorry, no with my hands as they are, I am lucky if I don't drop it, and can change the batteries. The only visible screw on the outside of the case is at the whip antenna base. Looks to be glued shut.

I am also wondering if it has DSP. No trouble tuning the analog radio like the KA321 had, but the AVC is extremely close. What I mean is there is almost no difference in how loud the radio sounds on weak and distant stations and local powerhouses. Like the PL-310, you set the volume once, and seldom adjust it after. It also 'sounds' like a DSP radio, less noise of some types I guess, but it is hard to say. I was thinking of asking for clues that a radio is DSP?  It tunes like analog.

Being a SONY product, and the fact SONY has been making IC chips for a very long time, I would expect these radios to use SONY chips. So possibly SONY is using using something like DSP?

It is on the SONY USA site without a price. I expect it will be found at corner drug stores soon. I do not see any Walkman radios at SONY USA. The one I got from NYC on eBay tunes up to 17, but most of the photos show ones which only tune to 16, and that is what is shown on the SONY EU site. - FARMERIK

Paul S. in CT

31 Station count midday is pretty good. How does this compare  with the WRX-911 or R911 models?

Paul S. in CT

Rik

I have the R9012 and just manually scanned AM at about the same time of day as last time just a few days ago.

I get 12 AM stations on the TECSUN R9012.

All tests done from the same chair facing the same direction with my computer and two flat screen monitors on. The TECSUN R9012 heard at least some RFI all across the AM band and at quite a few frequencies it was too loud to hear a station under it. The other radios heard some interference here and there and more interference  in only a few spots, but none loud enough to hide any understandable stations. I don't remember noticing either of the two radios tested previously being  significantly better or worse than the other. I did become suspicious both are DSP. Certainly the PL-310 ET is, not sure if the new  analog SONY P26 is or not, but it does not have the tuning problems  problems of the KA321/ DE321 analog DSP radio I had.

I was just trying to test under the exact same conditions, not make any changes to improve results such as turn the radios in different directions, or test away from RFI sources.

I noticed an other eBay listing for the P26 from a USA address for about $24 or so including shipping.

Sony ICF-P26 Personal and Portable AM/FM Radio (Black)

-FARMERIK

Lee

Anyone find out if it`s processed like the SRF59 et al ???

Lee... G6ZSG

Rik

Tunes and behaves differently than the SRF59. Probably competitive with it, but I no longer have the walkmen here to compare. It is close enough so it would take quite a bit of time DXing to compare them. I could do additional day time station counts, besides the PL-310 and R9012, but I have no idea what other radios people are interested in, and I don't have all that many.  I should have an ETON Traveler III here, but haven't seen it  lately.

I spent hours DXing with the SONY ICF-S22 and never heard any interest it that after I posted results here. I'd be glad to do a station count though. Just ask if I have the radio you have. - FARMERIK

Lee

Thanks Farmerik... I also have the SRF-S84 Megabass..great little walkman
Also have the Eton G8 Traveller II.. Eton G3 Globe Traveler.. Tecsun PL-380
and Tecsun PL-600... the Eton G8 is with the rubber feel case is feeling rather
sticky case now, I will try using wet-wipes tissues to clean it... Yeuuch !!!

Lee...G6ZSG.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

farmerik
Oct 25 7:57 PM
Tunes and behaves differently than the SRF59. Probably competitive with it, but I no longer have the walkmen here to compare. It is close enough so it would take quite a bit of time DXing to compare them. I could do additional day time station counts, besides the PL-310 and R9012, but I have no idea what other radios people are interested in, and I don't have all that many.  I should have an ETON Traveler III here, but haven't seen it  lately.

I spent hours DXing with the SONY ICF-S22 and never heard any interest it that after I posted results here. I'd be glad to do a station count though. Just ask if I have the radio you have. - FARMERIK