Sony ICF-P26

Ryan Martin

I see Sony has a new ultralight radio. Here's the Amazon link for the ICF-P26>

 Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black): Electronics

I'm wondering how it's reception is compared to a SRF-59.

Ryan

Rik

There are two new larger SONY radios with the same styling. I have the ICF-306 and it seems good and hears an awful lot on AM inductively  coupled or with the 'FM' whip connected to my BOG. I am planning on ordering the other two soon. All three run on 2 AA cells and have 100 mW audio. The manuals for the larger two say the head phone jack works with stereo head phones [both sides have sound] and that is true with the ICF-306 and it drives my Klipschorn well too at modest volume of course. In the past, modest SONY portables had mono earphone/external speaker jacks. - FARMERIK

gotoliv@...

Amazon claims that the Sony ICF-P26 is a replacement for the Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio.

- mark

mediumwavedx

Makes sense, as the S10MK2 tops out at 1600 KHz yet is still being sold in retail outlets in North America. The X-band has been here for a long time.

Bill

Marc Coevoet

I've seen a horizontal version of this radio in a krefel.be shop

Marc

Op 13 okt. 2015 15:59 schreef "rmartin100@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...>:

I see Sony has a new ultralight radio. Here's the Amazon link for the ICF-P26>

 Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Bla...
Enjoy AM and FM radio virtually anywhere with the Sony ICF-P26 Portable AM/FM Radio. You can use the built-in 100mW speaker or attach headphones to the 1/...
Preview by Yahoo

I'm wondering how it's reception is compared to a SRF-59.

Ryan

Rik

Look here for the ebay listings -

Sony ICF-306 Black 2-Band AM/FM Travel Portable Radio New

or

eBay item number:
391258900658
I have that one.

Sony ICF-P36 Black 2-Band AM/FM Travel Portable Radio New

or -

eBay item number:
221883124895

These two are horizontal. All three have the two LED indicators, BATT & TUNE, the 100mW output and are compatible with stereo headphones, ie sounds comes out of both ear pieces. Speakers are larger in the larger cabinets, but the circuitry could all be the same. Hopefully the ferrite is longer in the larger cases too. The ICF-306 has very good audio for its size. It uses a 66 mm speaker which is the same size as the ICF-SW-11 but the audio is better to my ear. Virtually no noises, whistles or whines  between stations unless very close to an RFI source which is par for a SONY. The tuning is a thumb wheel on top, not the knob on the side. It can travel about 3/4 inch per 'pass' and it takes 10 times to get across the bands. - FARMERIK

---In ultralightdx@..., <sintsixtus@...> wrote :

I've seen a horizontal version of this radio in a krefel.be shop

Marc

Op 13 okt. 2015 15:59 schreef "rmartin100@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...>:

I see Sony has a new ultralight radio. Here's the Amazon link for the ICF-P26>

 Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Black): Electronics

Amazon.com: Sony ICFP26 Portable AM/FM Radio (Bla...
Enjoy AM and FM radio virtually anywhere with the Sony ICF-P26 Portable AM/FM Radio. You can use the built-in 100mW speaker or attach headphones to the 1/...
Preview by Yahoo

I'm wondering how it's reception is compared to a SRF-59.

Ryan

Rik

My SONY ICF-P26 just arrived. It certainly is small enough to be an ULR.

Who do I email with the details of how it seems to qualify for ULR approval?

I have done more listening to the larger ICF-306. At night coupled to the BOG AM is very crowded. I logged-

WZON 620 5KW-260 miles
WILK 980 1KW-201 miles
WDCX 990 2.5 KW 302 miles
WRCA 1330 17 KW 52 miles

None are new logs, but are not easy to hear stations by any means here, and it is only mid Oct.

-FARMERIK

Rik

Preliminary Mid day AM station count-

Tecsun PL-310ET=14 ETM search
SONY ICF-P26=31 understandable stations

I wondered what would happen if I manually went through AM on the Tecsun, so did and got an understandable station count of 13.

All three tests between 12:30 and 12:50 PM local time. [midday]

Looks promising for the SONY.

-FARMERIK

texnote

Can you open up the Sony to see what DSP chip (potentially) is it using?

Paul