Unable to select LW on Tecsun PL-606

rowlsteve@...

First of all, Hi guys, I'm a newbie on ultralightdx and I come to the forum from a background of Vintage Wireless of some 39 years. In recent months I have become interested in portable sets and have morphed from that to sets that include SW. As a result my interest in SW has grown - I know very little at this point - and I have acquired a few sets with SW capability including a Zenith Trans Oceanic Royal D7000Y and a Sony Earth-Orbiter 5090 - both great sets by the way. Going a stage further and wanting to see what a more modern set can do I bought a Tecsun PL-606. Yes I realise it's a just a cheapy set and more just a bit of fun than a 'proper' SW set, but anyway I'm enjoying scanning SW stations and just generally plodding along learning more about SW for now. However, there's one problem in that I cannot select LW on it. Following the instructions in the operation manual, with the set in 'power off' mode I press the 'MW' button and as told I can then use it to toggle between 'LW OFF' and 'LW ON' appearing in the display. So far so good, that's what is supposed to happen, so I select 'LW ON' and within a second or so the set simply returns to 'power off' mode, no sign of LW either in the display or sound wise; the set is simply 'off'. I've tried holding the MW button down for different time periods etc but to no avail. Can someone with a PL-606 please tell me exactly what they do to select LW?  Thanks.

Al McDivitt

Hi STeve

Press the MW button changes the tecsun PL-606 for MW to LW and then back

From the manual
MW/LW ATS: Press the [MW] button to select MW/LW band,

Hope this helps, Enjoy the new radio

73 Al McDivitt  VK4BL

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:02 AM
Subject: [ultralightdx] Unable to select LW on Tecsun PL-606

First of all, Hi guys, I'm a newbie on ultralightdx and I come to the forum from a background of Vintage Wireless of some 39 years. In recent months I have become interested in portable sets and have morphed from that to sets that include SW. As a result my interest in SW has grown - I know very little at this point - and I have acquired a few sets with SW capability including a Zenith Trans Oceanic Royal D7000Y and a Sony Earth-Orbiter 5090 - both great sets by the way. Going a stage further and wanting to see what a more modern set can do I bought a Tecsun PL-606. Yes I realise it's a just a cheapy set and more just a bit of fun than a 'proper' SW set, but anyway I'm enjoying scanning SW stations and just generally plodding along learning more about SW for now. However, there's one problem in that I cannot select LW on it. Following the instructions in the operation manu al, with the set in 'power off' mode I press the 'MW' button and as told I can then use it to toggle between 'LW OFF' and 'LW ON' appearing in the display. So far so good, that's what is supposed to happen, so I select 'LW ON' and within a second or so the set simply returns to 'power off' mode, no sign of LW either in the display or sound wise; the set is simply 'off'. I've tried holding the MW button down for different time periods etc but to no avail. Can someone with a PL-606 please tell me exactly what they do to select LW?  Thanks.

Al McDivitt

Hi steve

AL again , sorry there should have been more to my first reply.
When I press the MW button om my PL-606 it stays in LW until I change it back.
So you may have a fault.

Sorry about the two replys

cheer's
AL VK4BL

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:02 AM
Subject: [ultralightdx] Unable to select LW on Tecsun PL-606

First of all, Hi guys, I'm a newbie on ultralightdx and I come to the forum from a background of Vintage Wireless of some 39 years. In recent months I have become interested in portable sets and have morphed from that to sets that include SW. As a result my interest in SW has grown - I know very little at this point - and I have acquired a few sets with SW capability including a Zenith Trans Oceanic Royal D7000Y and a Sony Earth-Orbiter 5090 - both great sets by the way. Going a stage further and wanting to see what a more modern set can do I bought a Tecsun PL-606. Yes I realise it's a just a cheapy set and more just a bit of fun than a 'proper' SW set, but anyway I'm enjoying scanning SW stations and just generally plodding along learning more about SW for now. However, there's one problem in that I cannot select LW on it. Following the instructions in the operation manu al, with the set in 'power off' mode I press the 'MW' button and as told I can then use it to toggle between 'LW OFF' and 'LW ON' appearing in the display. So far so good, that's what is supposed to happen, so I select 'LW ON' and within a second or so the set simply returns to 'power off' mode, no sign of LW either in the display or sound wise; the set is simply 'off'. I've tried holding the MW button down for different time periods etc but to no avail. Can someone with a PL-606 please tell me exactly what they do to select LW?  Thanks.

rowlsteve@...

Ok,  pressing the MW button is something that I've already tried ad infinitum and it doesn't seem to work unless there's another iteration or idiosyncracy in the process.  So, still seeking an answer how to engage LW on a Tecsun PL-606?  Come on guys there must be dozens of owners on this forum?!  How do I select LW?

steve@...

From memory you have to enable LW as it isn't set-up from the factory.

The manual says: "The unit is shut down the long-wave band before out of the factory.If you want to open the long-wave band in the off state, press MW button 10 seconds."

Does that help?

Steve

Clyde Smith <hkryclyde@...>

there is a tecsun users yahoo group, and when my tecsun 660 didnt work::did not  get air bands even when new and after one year got to where it would not turn on --it still is dead--i called kaito electronics .they are tecsun distributor and have a service section .

sadly none of that helped me but maybe it helps you.    good luck and   do let us know how you make out.          clyde

On Wednesday, September 23, 2015 5:19 AM, "steve@... [ultralightdx]" wrote:

The manual says: "The unit is shut down the long-wave band before out of the factory.If you want to open the long-wave band in the off state, press MW button 10 seconds."

Does that help?

Steve

Steve Rowley <rowlsteve@...>

No that doesn't work on mine Steve, but thanks. 

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:17 AM, steve@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Does that help?

Steve

rowlsteve@...

I came to the conclusion that my PL-606 (NOT 660, some people are getting confused) was faulty so I returned it for a refund, although the seller did not pay for the return shipping, but that's another matter..  Anyway I bought another one from a different seller and it does just the same - see first post.  I give in. Isn't there someone on here with a Tecsun PL-606 on which that they are able to get LW who can tell me in detail how they do it?

osage_archer

You said, "Following the instructions in the operation manual, with the set in 'power off' mode I press the 'MW' button and as told I can then use it to toggle between 'LW OFF' and 'LW ON' appearing in the display. So far so good, that's what is supposed to happen, so I select 'LW ON' and within a second or so the set simply returns to 'power off' mode, no sign of LW either in the display or sound wise; the set is simply 'off'. I've tried holding the MW button down for different time periods etc but to no avail. Can someone with a PL-606 please tell me exactly what they do to select LW?  Thanks."

Although I don't own a 606 (but I do own a 660) it seems that you may be missing a crucial step - don't keep holding the button down!

Once you select LW ON it should return to power off mode.  Let it.  That's what's supposed to happen.  Then just turn the set on, with the power button.  You should then be able to cycle thru to LW.

I apologize if that doesn't work - but I think you are erring, in continuing to hold the button down and expecting it to then turn on in LW mode automatically - remember you are in power off mode when you select LW.  Then you have to turn the radio on!

Tim C.

Steve Rowley <rowlsteve@...>

Tim, you're bang on! When I first tried it it just switched on as MW and I thought it hadn't worked, but of course you have to press the MW button again to toggle between MW and LW!  Brilliant!  Seems like my first set was a worker after all.  I just wish that translations of Chinese manuals should be performed more clearly, because it is not clear at all how, having performed the first part of the operation, that you subsequently have to power up and toggle to LW using the MW button.  Anyway, great and thanks again.

On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 3:42 PM, timchandler2001@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

You said, "Following the instructions in the operation manual, with the set in 'power off' mode I press the 'MW' button and as told I can then use it to toggle between 'LW OFF' and 'LW ON' appearing in the display. So far so good, that's what is supposed to happen, so I select 'LW ON' and within a second or so the set simply returns to 'power off' mode, no sign of LW either in the display or sound wise; the set is simply 'off'. I've tried holding the MW button down for different time periods etc but to no avail. Can someone with a PL-606 please tell me exactly what they do to select LW?  Thanks."

Although I don't own a 606 (but I do own a 660) it seems that you may be missing a crucial step - don't keep holding the button down!

Once you select LW ON it should return to power off mode.  Let it.  That's what's supposed to happen.  Then just turn the set on, with the power button.  You should then be able to cycle thru to LW.

I apologize if that doesn't work - but I think you are erring, in continuing to hold the button down and expecting it to then turn on in LW mode automatically - remember you are in power off mode when you select LW.  Then you have to turn the radio on!

Tim C.

rowlsteve@...

Given the limited, somewhat confusing nature of the instructions provided in the operation manual, I thought I'd write some improved, unambiguous instructions on how to select LW on the radio to help anyone else who may be experiencing this problem.  And thanks again Tim for cracking it! Here we go:

Tecsun PL-606 Long Wave operation.

The radio does not have a dedicated ‘LW’ button to operate LW.  Instead it uses the ‘MW’ button that toggles between the two bands. However, the radio is shipped with LW in shut down mode as a factory default setting.  Accordingly, before LW reception is possible, the factory setting must be reversed using the following procedure.  With the radio off, press and hold the MW button until ‘LW OFF’ or ‘LW ON’ appear in the display, ensuring that ‘LW ON’ is in the display as you release the button.  The radio is now reset to receive LW stations. Switch on the radio and each press of the MW button will toggle between ‘MW’ and ‘LW’ bands, selecting as appropriate.