Mark B.

Paul Blundell

Hard to say no for that price.

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM, 'R. Mark Barnett' orgelkraft@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

image

Portable Full Band FM stereo/MW /SW DSP Radio Wor...

US $13.99 New in Consumer Electronics, Portable Audio & Headphones, Portable AM/FM Radios
Preview by Yahoo

Any potential here? Cheap enough...

Mark B.

Steve Ponder <stephen_ponder@...>

I checked the description on eBay. Tuning steps for MW are 9 kHz. No mention if that setting can be switched between 9 and 10 kHz. If not, the radio is not suitable for use in North America (USA, Canada, and Mexico) where MW stations use 10 kHz spacing (for the most part).

Sorry to burst your bubble.

73 & Good DX,

Steve Ponder, N5WBI
Houston, TX
---------------
6 Plus

On Aug 17, 2015, at 8:25 PM, 'R. Mark Barnett' orgelkraft@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Any potential here? Cheap enough...

Mark B.

dave_m1ctk

This radio is so cheap I have bought one anyway. Will report back when it arrives... Thanks for the find op

On 18 August 2015 at 06:07, Steve Ponder stephen_ponder@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

[...]

Guy Atkins

Hi Mark,

I received the Basbon radio a few days ago. Here are the comments I wrote about it.

My "bargain bin" $13.99 portable Basbon DSP receiver arrived yesterday from China while I was out of town. That was fortunate for the little radio, as my absence allowed it another day of life (in one piece) on planet earth.

The good: the radio's case is surprisingly solid and of good quality. To hold the receiver you'd think you had a $50+ portable in your hands. The smallish and very basic LCD display (cleverly labeled "DISPLAY" for those who don't catch on too quickly) looks crude however, and gives forewarning that crude performance awaits.

The so-so: strong, local FM signals sound intelligible but with lots of tinny audio and some distortion. Strong AM signals (which happen to be near or coincide with North America's 10 KHz channel spacing) are adequate.

The bad & ugly: Once you get past the puzzling multiple button presses to get past the clock display into shortwave operation, the noises and hisses coming from the speaker will make you wish you'd left well enough alone! Strong SW signals audible on Kaito's $17.99 low-end (and analog) WRX-911 are simply a noisy, tone-covered mess on the Basbon receiver.

I was curious if the digital hash and noise was the result of an unshielded DSP chip, so I opened up the receiver. These two pictures show both sides of the primitive PCB:

​After removal of TEN (!) little silver screws holding the PCB board in place I could remove and flip it over. The square, multi-lead chip to the lower left of the LCD display is unmarked, and is presumably the DSP IC. I was contemplating making a small grounded metal shield to cover the chip, but as I moved the Basbon radio's internals on my workbench the array of case buttons literally fell apart.

That's the end of THAT idea! I have more interesting radio projects to spend my time on :^)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

dave_m1ctk

That's interesting, not quite up to the standard of a tecsun then, but how is sensitivity and selectivity on FM ?

On 19 August 2015 at 18:00, dx@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

[...]

R. Mark Barnett

Hi Dave,
OUCH!!!! Sorry you were the tester on this one.. I thought maybe someone had already picked one up. Your pictures didn't make the trip, but from your description it sounds like it was ALL show. THANK YOU for the review Dave... unfortunately it sounds like a REAL lemon. It sure LOOKED good on ebay..

Mark B.

[...]

This radio sounds like it it best avoided :(

dave_m1ctk

Hmm well too late I bought one, but for what is £10 for me in the UK it's not much of a loss if it really is so useless, as I said I will report back :)

On 20 August 2015 at 04:09, tanger32au@... [ultralightdx] <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

This radio sounds like it it best avoided :(

Guy Atkins

I have posted the interior photos which wouldn't attach to my earlier reply.

Please look in the Photos section of this group, in the folder "Basbon DSP Radio".

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

R. Mark Barnett

Thank you Guy!!!