Ultralight DXing Report - Denison Road Scenic Lookout

Paul Blundell

Date: 12/08/2015

Time: 16:10 – 16:50 Local

Location: Denison Road Scenic Lookout Launceston

Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-360

Total stations logged: 27

New stations logged: 0

Notes: Recently while out driving I came across the sign (first photo) for a lookout that I had not heard of before, I made a mental note to return and check it out. Yesterday I had a couple of hours of spare time so decided to go and undertake a portable ultralight DXing session from this location.

I parked my car and set off up the rough track, I arrived at the seat (second photo) and thought “this can’t be it” so kept going, soon the track ended so I walked back and set up on the seat. In the 40 minute period I logged 27 stations which were a mix of Tas, VIC, NSW and some SA stations. No new stations were logged and overall I was not that impressed with the location or the medium wave stations I heard on Medium Wave.

I also did some listening on the shortwave bands and logged the following stations:

7405KHz   Radio Marti

7455KHz   RMI

7555KHz   EWTN

9790KHz   Radio France International

11520KHz EWTN

11580KHz RMI

11625KHZ Vatican Radio

11775KHz China Radio International

11850KHz Radio Free Europe

13635KHz Voice of Turkey

15595KHz Vatican Radio

15700KHz Radio Romania International

17615KHz China Radio International

Photos: http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/ultralight-dxing-report-denison-road.html

Steve Ratzlaff

Thanks for the report and the interesting photos.
Apparently the capacitance of the long coax cable from the loopstick to the radio doesn't prevent the radio's DSP from tuning to the top of the MW band? That's the first time I've heard of anyone doing that before!
Steve

Date: 12/08/2015

Time: 16:10 – 16:50 Local

Location: Denison Road Scenic Lookout Launceston

Radio: 7.5” Loopstick Tecsun PL-360

Total stations logged: 27

New stations logged: 0

Photos: http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/ultralight-dxing-report-denison-road.html

Paul Blundell

Hi Steve.

Yes I have found that it seems to work well, being able to move the loopstick in different directions seems to allow better control over which signals are received.

Paul