Question for Radio Jay Allen or anyone else who knows...

microcode@...

Hi,

I have been reading the articles on your site shootout trying to decide
which portable to get next for MW DXing. Am I reading you correctly that the
Superadio III is just too hit or miss to be a good candidate?

I'm also confused by what I'm reading on the Sangean PR-D5 and PR-D15.
Everybody seems to agree the 1 KHz steps on the D15 are helpful but I
believe you had discussed comments and I read other places that maybe the
D15's sensitivity is slightly down relative to the D5. It looks like you
are saying those impressions are likely to be incorrect and that you don't
believe Sangean's Q/C would allow that much variability in sample to
sample differences but instead maybe people just didn't test enough. Did I
understand your comments correctly?

Of these three radios if sensitivity uberalles is the main factor which one
would you suggest if somebody can only by one? And how would you rank them?

Thanks for the help and happy new year to everyone.

policow6@...

I read some reports which said the PR-D15 was less sensitive than the PR-D5 but my sample was just as hot...the difference is that the PR-D15 sometimes had some issues where soft muting reduced the volume of some signals, but I didn't' find that a deal killer for me...overall I would prefer the PR-D15 over the PR-D5 because of its 1KHz Tuning steps, slightly improved FM selectivity and slightly improved audio, plus a nicer handle.

I have more details on the website.

The SRIII has far, far better audio, albeit mono, but yes, quality control is a big issue with these and AM has a slightly higher noise floor than the SRI or SRII...better to snag a nice used SRI or SR II on eBay...they are usually quite reliable as found. FM on the SR's is not very selective though.

Jay

http://radiojayallen.com

microcode@...

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 06:23:44AM -0800, policow6@... [ultralightdx] wrote:
I read some reports which said the PR-D15 was less sensitive than the
PR-D5 but my sample was just as hot...the difference is that the PR-D15
sometimes had some issues where soft muting reduced the volume of some
signals, but I didn't' find that a deal killer for me...overall I would
prefer the PR-D15 over the PR-D5 because of its 1KHz Tuning steps, slightly
improved FM selectivity and slightly improved audio, plus a nicer handle.

I have more details on the website.
Thanks, I have read all the stuff on the PR-D15 on your site I can find
including the shootout and the PR-D5 & PR-D15 reviews several times. I just
wanted to clarify a few points.

The SRIII has far, far better audio, albeit mono, but yes, quality
control is a big issue with these and AM has a slightly higher noise
floor than the SRI or SRII...better to snag a nice used SRI or SR II on
eBay...they are usually quite reliable as found. FM on the SR's is not
very selective though.
If I was back home in America I would do that. Here it's too expensive and
too risky and I can't get to my tools so I have to do things differently.
Now it's down to whether a 40 buck (Walmart's prices are going up, ok 50
buck) SRIII + shipping could be a killer deal or whether it's safe to just
cough up 80 bucks + shipping for the D15.

Thanks a lot for the info.

policow6@...

No one can answer that because the SR III you get could well be a bad one. I don't know what percentage of later SR III's is defective (bad tuning pot...read all about it in the SR III Group), but it is a risk. You can always try one and return it if it's bad I suppose but some of these don't fail immediately.

Sangean radios tend to be reliable and consistent.

Jay

microcode@...

That sounds like a problem because shipping is about as much as a new radio
and that is if it comes in under the taxman's radar. Not worth it. I didn't
know there was an SR III group I'll join that to listen in.

Thanks for the help and info.