C.Crane Skywave Ultralight Radio-- First Impressions on MW

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

As many of you are aware, C.Crane has introduced a new AM-FM-SW-Airband pocket radio, which easily falls within the Ultralight Radio size and capability classifications. This C.Crane "Skywave" pocket radio is obviously made by China's Redsun company (maker of the C.Crane SWP, and many other portables rebranded by C.Crane), but a brief Internet search didn't show any equivalent radio sold by Redsun at this time. At $89.95 plus shipping this model is not cheap, but based on a very favorable review by Jay Allen (posted at http://radiojayallen.com/c-crane-cc-skywave-radio/ ) I went ahead and ordered a couple of models for a full review. The first model arrived yesterday, and I gave it a quick "test drive" for Medium Wave DXing before a complete disassembly (and DSP chip investigation) scheduled for next week.

On the medium wave band, the new C.Crane "Skywave" portable has excellent DSP filtering, fully up to the standard of the Si4734 DSP chips in the Tecsun PL-380, PL-310, PL-606 and PL-505 Ultralight models. In addition, it provides this DSP filtering without the irritating heterodynes associated with the Tecsun Si4734 DSP chip models. The radio is exactly the same size as the C.Crane SWP portable, and its physical appearance closely matches that of this previous model. The MW band sensitivity is excellent, slightly exceeding that of the Tecsun PL-310, PL-606 and PL-380 models (BUT ONLY when the 1 kHz DSP setting is selected). Although I haven't disassembled the model yet, I suspect that C.Crane and Redsun have installed a higher quality MW loopstick than the cost-cutting midget antenna used by Tecsun in their DSP Ultralights. The DSP filtering of the Skywave model sounds very much like that of the Si4734 chip, but without the irritating heterodynes found in the Tecsun models. The DSP filtering selections (6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 kHz) also mimic the Si4734 DSP chip, making it seem likely that the new "Skywave" is powered by a Silicon Labs' chip that deletes Longwave coverage in favor of the Airband, and solves the heterodyne issue as well. As for the presence or absence of the dubious "soft mute" function in the Skywave model, my initial impression is that that bogus function has been ditched as well.

So what are the weak points of the new "Skywave" model? Well, besides the $89.95 price (before shipping), you will not find any dial light function on the radio. Changing certain controls will light up the display for about 15 seconds, but the volume control is not one of them. If you are DXing in the dark, you had better carry a flashlight. Also, some of the default settings are not deal-breakers, but rather puzzling. As shipped, the model is set with a 3 kHz DSP setting, which is practically useless for MW DXing (I wonder how many models will be shipped back to C.Crane for this reason?). It is essential to set the DSP setting on 1 kHz for the best MW sensitivity. Fortunately, this 1 kHz DSP setting provides superior audio compared to that available on the Tecsun DSP Utralights with their 1 kHz DSP setting, Another bizarre default setting is that the radio is shipped with a time display on the LCD, instead of a frequency display (this can be changed rather easily, though). Whereas the Tecsun DSP Ultralights seem to be designed to feature as many of the Si4734 chip functions as possible, the "Skywave" strips down these functions to the bare minimum. There is no display of RSSI, S/N, temperature or volume level. There is a very basic bar display of signal strength, but that is it. Be thankful for the rotary volume control, though-- although it doesn't light up the display or show you its level when changed, it is a major functional improvement over the clunky up/ down volume buttons on the C.Crane SWP.

More details, complete disassembly and a full review will be forthcoming.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

josephrot

RE: <<  As many of you are aware, C.Crane has introduced a new AM-FM-SW-Airband pocket radio, which easily falls within the Ultralight Radio size and capability classifications.  >>

Given the capabilities, general size, weigt and feature set, the Tecsun PL-660 is dropping in price to near the CC Skywave, but yes, not yet "equal", yet the Tecsun has much more going for it.

Joe Rotello / Knoxville, TN / USA

microcode@...

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 07:08:13AM -0800, joerotello@windowgroup.com [ultralightdx] wrote:

Given the capabilities, general size, weigt and feature set, the Tecsun PL-660 is dropping in price to near the CC Skywave, but yes, not yet "equal", yet the Tecsun has much more going for it.
Hmm, I paid 80 bucks plus shipping for my PL-660. Didn't Gary say the
Skywave is $89.99 + shipping?

Gary DeBock

Hello Joe and Microcode,

The Tecsun PL-660 model has a size which greatly exceeds 20 cubic inches, and also has SSB function-- both of which make it ineligible for Ultralight radio classification according to our definition rules. As long as a pocket radio has an original price of under $100 (such as the Sony SRF-T615 did, when it was first reviewed in the spring of 2008), the price factor will not affect its qualification status.

Despite the fact that SSB portables do not qualify for "official" Ultralight radio status, we have never discouraged anyone from reporting DX received with them on this site, or with a portable which is too large to qualify as an Ultralight radio (such as the Tecsun PL-390 model). I myself have quite a few modified Sony ICF-2010 portables, which I use as SSB spotting receivers for Ultralight radio targets on ocean cliff sites.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)