Logs from Florida

David Potter <dlpotter@...>

Greeting, all.  I've been a lurker on this list for several years now  In fact I was about 2 months into the 90 day challenge when I got sidetracked by a bunch of other things.  I have been planning a return to ultralight radio for some time, moreso as shortwave has slowed down some.  Consequently,  I have re-upped with NRC and IRCA and picked up an "out of box" Sony SRF-M37W on eBay, to replace my SRF-59 which is out of alignment.  I like the sensitivity of the new rig, and the trade-off of wider selectivity for digital readout and memories is one that is going well, so far.  I presently am located in a semi-rural location, about 10 miles west of Gainesville, FL, home of the University Florida.  I'm north of Orlando and the Tampa area.

The brief intro:  I started DXing in my home town of Key West, FL, when I was a kid.  Starting out on MW, I gravitated to SW when I got my first communications receiver as a teenager.  Over the years I was more of a tropical band DXer than MW, though I did both.  I've heard over 230 countries on SW and over 60 on MW - with a load of QSLs and some logbooks that have survived the years and the moves.  I got to know the late John Bryant through NASWA and FT/NU over the years and was glad to run into him again over here.  I have been very impressed by the group  - your DX loggings and technical material are great.  I hope to do my part to help the group and to have some fun along the way.

I have almost completed a spreadsheet of my ultralight logs on Excel, and am currently a little over 200 stations heard.  I will give you better totals when I have done my QC on the spreadsheet.  Below are a few recent domestic logs.

73

David

1010  MISSISSIPPI  WMOX, Meridian.  2235-2237 Good with ID and ad string.  10 November

1300  FLORIDA   WFFG, Marathon.  Noted at 0350 as an UNID running talk, rising out of the scrum at times, peaking nicely around 0355 with mention of Jim Bohannon show, into ads for Marathon area, then ID around 0400.  Fair signal  when it was in, though mixing with many.  13 November

1480  GEORGIA  WYZE, Atlanta.  Caught at 2206 with ID and slogan as "Atlanta's Gospel Voice", into African-American gospel programming.  Good on 11 November.

1520  FLORIDA   WXYB, Indian Rocks Beach.  Presume the one at 0045-0050+, with Greek programming including ads with 727 area code, good on 13 November.  Also:  0315 VG w/Greek music and Greek M ancr, 0328 with ads, including Kontas (?) market, ID at 0330.  Dominating Okahoma City and Buffalo. This on 21 November, so they're still at it. Though I'm only about 100 miles away, this 600-watter is probably getting out a fair distance since it has a pretty good signal at times.    Listed as 600w daytime, with an application for nights at 17w per NRC.  Worth checking.

1520  FLORIDA  Apopka.  WBZN.  2220 ads, ad for "Blue Darter sports" (assume local HS),  2225 ID and into syndicated "Powering America Radio".  Very good signal.  Looking for, but not finding, WXYB this early. 21 November

1540  IOWA  Waterloo-Cedar Rapids.  KXEL.  0255 with ads under Nassau,  ID by M at 0302 as "KXEL, The Voice of Panther Basketball", VG in ZNS null.  21 November.  Yeah, I know it's 50kW on a clear chanel, but it's yet another example of me doing so much of my prior MW DXing in an RF environment saturated with Cuba (or in this case, the Bahamas).  Back in the Keys, you would never hear WJR, WCCO, and WHO, let alone this one.    21 November

1570  FLORIDA  Auburndale.  WTWB, "La Raza", SP XE format, with ads for Bartow Ford and a doctor in Haines City, then ID.  2224-2227 all at local level during sunset skip.  21 November

1580   ALABAMA  Oxford.  WVOK.  0225 running sat-fed oldies format (Lovin' Spoonful, Herman's Hermits), 0234 with quick WVOK ID.  F/G on peaks.  FCC database lists this as 22w at night.  17 November

1580  KENTUCKY  WWTF, Lexington.  Big signal at 2206 with ID and "Fox Sports Kentucky" slogan. 10 November

1590  FLORIDA, Port St. Lucie.  WPSL, news  by M+W at 2235 t/in with mentions of "CBS12", 2237  advert for WPSL pgms, IDing as "Talk of the Treasure Coast".  G/VG.  21 November

David Potter
Newberry, FL
Receiver:  Sony SRF-M37W, running barefoot.  Sony 2010 spotting receiver.

robert ross

On 2014-11-22, at 9:36 PM, David Potter dlpotter@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

[...]

David….Hello and Welcome to the ULR Group. Hey……I recognize your name from the Numero Uno/Fine Tuning Days!! I was also a member of both of those Organizations, and I am still a member of NU's Orphan'd Son….DXPLorer!! I have seen many of your logs to NU/FT/NASWA etc from the Old Days. I too was a big Short Wave DXer back into the mid 1970's, and migrated to the NU Group looking for New Thrills after my Buddy, Gary DeBock sent me a SONY SRF-59 back in December of 2007….and the rest is History!! Things have slowed down for me on ULR BCB lately with almost 1100 AM BCB Stations logged…….but I need to get busy and start adding to the Log Book!!!

If you ever get that 90 Day Challenge finished…..shoot the Logs to me……. Gary and I will get you a Fancy "Ross Challenge Certificate" all printed up, so you can Frame it and display it on your DX Shack Wall!! HAHHAHAH……That award was apparently named after me…....thanks to Gary and John Bryant!!!

Glad you have finally decided to let us know you are here and reading the mail….You may recognize another NU/FT name on here from time to time..Dan Sheedy out in California does some ULR Shortwave DXing and posts his logs here from the to time……..There are others too…Guy Atkins, John Fisher and the late Kirk Allen and John Bryant of course. We have a nice base of Old NU/FT guys who have taken up residence on the ULR Group!!

Gary and John did a Great Job attracting established DXers to the Group back when it was formed in 2008…and most of them are still here!

Have Fun with ULR DX….and glad you're here!!

73………..ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

David Sharp <ddsradio@...>

Hi Robert

I have been a member of the group for a while and like the whole concept. I still have some big rigs but like fiddling around with portables.

I am currently a member of ARDXC and am the PD at 2WEB radio. Anyone hears the station- I am the contact for a QSL.

I also work as a seasonal contributor to the WRTH. 73s

Sent from David Sharp's iPhone

On 2014-11-22, at 9:36 PM, David Potter dlpotter@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Want Her Chasing YOU!?
1 Weird Trick Gets Girls To Flirt With You Even If You're Ugly& Broke
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3155/54719c90d9c241c903f1cmp04vuc

robert ross

On 2014-11-23, at 3:41 AM, David Sharp ddsradio@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

Hi Robert

I have been a member of the group for a while and like the whole concept. I still have some big rigs but like fiddling around with portables.

I am currently a member of ARDXC and am the PD at 2WEB radio. Anyone hears the station- I am the contact for a QSL.

I also work as a seasonal contributor to the WRTH. 73s

David….yes I remember your name too when you lived in Florida as well, if I remember correctly!! Saw many Logs with the name Sharp after them!!! Great to see so many of the Old Timers here on the ULR List!!

73…..ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Gary DeBock

Rob,

David Sharp is great at verifying reception of 585-2WEB... I have a verification letter, an e-QSL, and multiple bumper stickers! Every time I hit the Oregon cliffs I always try to track down a song on 585 kHz, since 2WEB has one of the best signals on the frequency. Dave can verify reception if you have a single song title, and time of reception. Getting QSL's from many DX stations is like Mission Impossible-- but I got one from 2WEB without even trying-- even after I posted an online rant about the UnID Australian music station on 585 kHz that never seems to want to ID (which turned out to be 2WEB, with automated early morning programming). How can you beat that?  :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

> [...]

> Gary and John did a Great Job attracting established DXers to the Group back when it was formed in 2008…and most of them are still here!
>
> Have Fun with ULR DX….and glad you're here!!
>
> 73………..ROB VA3SW
>
> Robert S. Ross
> London, Ontario CANADA
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

> Want Her Chasing YOU!?
> 1 Weird Trick Gets Girls To Flirt With You Even If You're Ugly& Broke

Many thanks for the nice note, Rob. I certainly remember you from
NASWA/NU/FT and ODXA. LIkewise, I remember Dan Sheedy, Guy Atkins,
and John Fisher. I'm very sorry to hear about Kirk Allen, though.

I look forward to seeing what else I can do with ultralights. I
realize that the M37W will likely gain some companions. Part of me
would like a PL-380 (maybe with an 8" ferrite rod mod for starters?),
whereas the other part of me likes the T-615. As several of you guys
have proven, that one is certainly a winner with domestics.

For foreign DX, I think you'd need something like the Tecsun with its
selectivity options to make it doable, at least beyond the fairly easy
stations. We get our share of TAs, but we're certainly not in the
class of New England or Atlantic Canada for Europe and - to a certain
extent - Africa. We do fairly well with Central and South America,
though parts of the latter are pretty tough. As for Asia, I get
carriers from some of the flamethrowers (eg Japan 774), though I think
we should be able to turn the carriers from some of the big boys into
audio if we're properly equipped, at least on good days. The DU
stations make it to Florida, but they tend to be under-chased from
here. I logged Tahiti on 738 from the lower Keys in the mid-80s with
an R-70 and a 50ft antenna, though with my primary target being
tropical band Indos, I really didn't chase them. I know that Ray
Moore did well with DU stations from Key Largo about 20 years or so
ago. Naturally, a site on the Gulf or down in the Keys would be
optimum. But yes, overall, I think that a DXer could do okay with
foreign DX on an ultralight from Florida. From inland Florida, it's a
little tougher, but I am encouraged by the success that Richard Allen
has had from Oklahoma.

So yes, I am fairly optimistic about the possibilities, both foreign
and domestic. I'm looking forward to the challenges.

73
David

On Nov 23, 2014, at 3:12 AM, Robert Ross va3sw@...
[ultralightdx] wrote

[...]

Hello David,

Welcome to our Ultralightdx Yahoo group!

Although I was not one of the original select group of MW-DXers consisting of John Bryant, Guy Atkins, David Sharp, Rob Ross, Kirk Allen and yourself, I have had the privilege of watching all of these outstanding hobbyists join and energize our Ultralightdx group-- and contribute greatly to our success. As such, you deserve a special welcome!

By way of introduction, during the 1980's and 1990's I was busy pushing my luck as a QRP-CW fanatic, going all out to work 146 countries with a 2-watt Heathkit HW-8 CW radio and a 2-element Quad antenna. I learned the important lesson that basic equipment can do wonders when a DXer knows the little quirks of propagation, and uses it (and an effective antenna) to his advantage. This was the basic principle behind the formation of our Ultralight Radio enthusiast group, which John Bryant and I worked together to form in early 2008. The "Ultralight Radio" DXing concept was borrowed from the amateur radio "QRP DXing" concept-- that a skilled DXer can greatly increase his hobby satisfaction by depending upon propagation knowledge, operating skill and antenna experimentation for DXing success-- rather than the latest multi-thousand dollar receiver. The popularity of the Ultralight Radio concept has been greatly enhanced by recent technical advances in pocket radios like the DSP chips, memories and digital readout displays-- as well as by a "nostalgia effect' of returning to the pocket radios that we enjoyed using as boys back in the 60's and 70's. The result has been a worldwide group growing like gangbusters... which is currently one of the most vibrant segments of the entire MW-DXing community.

<<<   I look forward to seeing what else I can do with ultralights.  I
realize that the M37W will likely gain some companions.  Part of me
would like a PL-380 (maybe with an 8" ferrite rod mod for starters?),
whereas the other part of me likes the T-615.  As several of you guys
have proven, that one is certainly a winner with domestics.   >>>

Whether you choose to chase DX with barefoot Ultralight radios or external antennas, David, you will find plenty of company in our group! As you have probably noticed, we have many active antenna experimenters, and our group has particularly led the way in FSL antenna experimentation worldwide. As for the 7.5" loopstick Tecsun PL-380 model that you mention, the construction article is posted at http://www.mediafire.com/view/du3sr5cd9thqvau/7.5inch-LS-PL380.doc  If you have any questions or need any material for your antenna projects, please don't hesitate to ask. Welcome again, David, and we feel honored to have you in our Ultralightdx group!

73, Gary DeBock, N7EKX (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Ultralight Radio Group Co-Founder

> [...]

> me……. Gary and I will get you a Fancy "Ross Challenge Certificate"
> all printed up, so you can Frame it and display it on your DX Shack
> Wall!! HAHHAHAH……That award was apparently named after me…....thanks
> to Gary and John Bryant!!!
>
> Glad you have finally decided to let us know you are here and
> reading the mail….You may recognize another NU/FT name on here from
> time to time..Dan Sheedy out in California does some ULR Shortwave
> DXing and posts his logs here from the to time……..There are others
> too…Guy Atkins, John Fisher and the late Kirk Allen and John Bryant
> of course. We have a nice base of Old NU/FT guys who have taken up
> residence on the ULR Group!!
>
> Gary and John did a Great Job attracting established DXers to the
> Group back when it was formed in 2008…and most of them are still here!
>
> Have Fun with ULR DX….and glad you're here!!

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    ultralightdx-digest@...
    ultralightdx-fullfeatured@...

David Potter <dlpotter@...>

Thanks for the nice note, Gary.  It was good to hear from you.  I really appreciate the warm welcome that I have received from the group.

Like you and Rob...and probably many others in the group, I also have a ham license (KC4YPR), though I really don't use it.  You certainly did well with the HW-8.  I also like the analogy of ultralight radios with QRP as well with the transistor sets we used as kids.  They're both very valid points.

I certainly like the amount of experimentation and research in this group.  You guys have done a lot of great work when it comes to both antennas and receivers as well as with DXpeditions.    It reminds me of the best innovation that appeared in NRC/IRCA - which was continued in the Proceedings series.  Keep up the good work, all!

Anyway, thanks.  I look forward to participating in the group.

73
David