which receiver?

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Hi..

I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390
But also think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.

I like to know if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of electric devices etc.

Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!

Hans

Greg Shoom

The DE1103 does not qualify as an ultralight receiver, so don't get it if you're looking specifically for an ultralight receiver. But if you're just looking for a good portable receiver I would recommend it. I have one (in its KA1103 variant) and I think it is an excellent little radio. It's the one I take with me whenever I travel.

I can't comment on the Tecsun radios - I haven't used either of them.

Greg S.

On 7 Sep 2014 16:10, "Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Hi..

I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390
But also think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.

I like to know if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of electric devices etc.

Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!

Hans

Phillip Fimiani

I have the 380, modified with an external larger sleeve antenna.... Works great. I'm still working on an external antenna for SW... AM is great. Better sensitivity with the external antenna. I like the auto search feature, It will pick up and store all the sigs found in a band (AM etc).

FM is good too.. sound is great for its size.

I like the USB cable for recharging the batteries. Wish the ATS909 had that feature....

Still haven't figured out how to change freqs  and not have it jump in 10s of MHZ.... You have to rotate the knob VERY slowly.... to change in 1 MHz steps.

Still working on the active antenna that will help me with SW and LW... I need a broadcast filter too... I have a local ramming down the receiver.... So when I do use the active antenna, its VERY sensitive to the point of overload. The filter and grounding will help that.

Don't have any Degens....

Best Regards
Phil
WA2069SWL
Lat: 40.8367633  Long: -74.1768412

Icom R71A
Sangean ATS909
Tecsun PL380

microcode@...

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 09:58:50PM -0700, Myamiphil myamiphil@... [ultralightdx] wrote:

Still haven't figured out how to change freqs and not have it jump in 10s
of MHZ.... You have to rotate the knob VERY slowly.... to change in 1 MHz
steps.
If it's like the 660 you can hold down the light button while the radio is
on and it will cycle through slow, fast, fast slow choices. The fast slow
choice is the so-called "intelligent" step mode where it's supposed to
figure out if you're tuning fast or slow. Of course the light button also
affects the light settings so it's a little tricky to get everything the way
you want. But eventually you get used to it.

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Hi Phil and thanks for your comment..
I have here the Sangean ATS 909X, not bad but not so sensitive..
But the problem here is that listening to broadcasts, there is much noise in the (office) surrounding here. I use a wire antenna of about 10 meter. usb/lsb no problem, no noise etc.

Thats why I am looking also for a receiver that is not so sensible for noise..how about the 380? FM and LW is not interesting for me, only AM and SW

Why no Degens?

Hans

> I have the 380, modified with an external larger sleeve antenna....
> Works great. I'm still working on an external antenna for SW... AM is
> great. Better sensitivity with the external antenna. I like the auto
> search feature, It will pick up and store all the sigs found in a
> band (AM etc).
>

> FM is good too..
> sound is great for its size.
>

> I like the USB cable for recharging the batteries. Wish the ATS909
> had that feature....
>

> Still haven't figured out how to change freqs  and not have it jump
> in 10s of MHZ.... You have to rotate the knob VERY slowly.... to
> change in 1 MHz steps.
>

> Still working on the active antenna that will help me with SW and
> LW... I need a broadcast filter too... I have a local ramming down
> the receiver.... So when I do use the active antenna, its VERY
> sensitive to the point of overload. The filter and grounding will help
> that.
>

> Don't have any Degens....
>

> Best Regards
> Phil
> WA2069SWL
>
> Lat: 40.8367633  Long: -74.1768412
>
> Icom R71A
> Sangean ATS909
> Tecsun PL380

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Thanks Greg for your comments..
I just wrote in another mail about the noise I have here on my Sangean 909X, I live in an apartment that is part of a office building unit. So I think that electronic devices over there influence the broadcast reception of my Sangean. usb/lsb is no problem.

How about the DE1103, is this receiver sensible for all kinds of noise?

Hans

> The DE1103 does not qualify as an ultralight receiver, so don't get
> it if you're looking specifically for an ultralight receiver. But if
> you're just looking for a good portable receiver I would recommend
> it. I have one (in its KA1103 variant) and I think it is an excellent
> little radio. It's the one I take with me whenever I travel.
>
> I can't comment on the Tecsun radios - I haven't used either of them.
>
> Greg S.
> On 7 Sep 2014 16:10, "Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx]"
> wrote:
>>

>> Hi..
>>
> I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390 But also
> think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.   I like to know
> if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of electric
> devices etc.   Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!   Hans
>

> Posted by: VE3LXL

Phillip Fimiani

Don't need a lot of radios. indoors nothing works very well.. especially in a steel structured type. I use my radios outdoors or at home. with some sort of ext antenna.

I just recently acquired the Tecsun.....I believe it was one that was modified by Gary DeBock. I haven't been in an active search for anything else.

I haven't used the 380 in my house that much. Ill have to ry and see what it can do there. I have a Sony retractible long wire  I can use for SW....

Best Regards
Phil
WA2069SWL
Lat: 40.8367633  Long: -74.1768412

I have here the Sangean ATS 909X, not bad but not so sensitive..
But the problem here is that listening to broadcasts, there is much noise in the (office) surrounding here. I use a wire antenna of about 10 meter. usb/lsb no problem, no noise etc.

Thats why I am looking also for a receiver that is not so sensible for noise..how about the 380? FM and LW is not interesting for me, only AM and SW

Why no Degens?

Hans

> I have the 380, modified with an external larger sleeve antenna....
> Works great. I'm still working on an external antenna for SW... AM is
> great. Better sensitivity with the external antenna. I like the auto
> search feature, It will pick up and store all the sigs found in a
> band (AM etc).
>

> FM is good too..
> sound is great for its size.
>

> I like the USB cable for recharging the batteries. Wish the ATS909
> had that feature....
>

> Still haven't figured out how to change freqs  and not have it jump
> in 10s of MHZ.... You have to rotate the knob VERY slowly.... to
> change in 1 MHz steps.
>

> Still working on the active antenna that will help me with SW and
> LW... I need a broadcast filter too... I have a local ramming down
> the receiver.... So when I do use the active antenna, its VERY
> sensitive to the point of overload. The filter and grounding will help
> that.
>

> Don't have any Degens....
>

> Best Regards
> Phil
> WA2069SWL
>
> Lat: 40.8367633  Long: -74.1768412
>
> Icom R71A
> Sangean ATS909
> Tecsun PL380

Phillip Fimiani

Ill have to give that a try this week....

Best Regards
Phil
WA2069SWL
Lat: 40.8367633  Long: -74.1768412

> Still haven't figured out how to change freqs and not have it jump in 10s
> of MHZ.... You have to rotate the knob VERY slowly.... to change in 1 MHz
> steps.

If it's like the 660 you can hold down the light button while the radio is
on and it will cycle through slow, fast, fast slow choices. The fast slow
choice is the so-called "intelligent" step mode where it's supposed to
figure out if you're tuning fast or slow. Of course the light button also
affects the light settings so it's a little tricky to get everything the way
you want. But eventually you get used to it.

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Well, I only use my Sangean ATS 909X inmy house as desktop receiver..
and will do that also with new (advised) receivers..

Hans

microcode@...

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 07:56:54AM +0200, Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx] wrote:
Well, I only use my Sangean ATS 909X inmy house as desktop receiver..
and will do that also with new (advised) receivers..
Then you should get a desktop receiver and set up an external antenna.

steve@...

Hi,
As people have said the DE-1103 doesn't qualify as an Ultralight so in terms of contests etc it is out.
However, if you are looking for a reasonably lightweight LW/MW/SW/FM receiver it is excellent. I have a Degen 1103, a Tecsun PL-600, a Tecsun PL-310et and a Tecsun PL-606 (I know, I know - very sad!).
The Degen is noticeably more sensitive on MW than the others using its own ferrite rod. If you use an external loop or other antenna then the difference vanishes.  I also find that the PL-606 and the 310 have some odd spurious spikes around MW, including 882 (ish) which doesn't help with DXing. However, when I'm travelling and want a very lightweight receiver the PL-606 is probably the one I pack - horses for courses.
You may read that the Degen display is a little pointless, which is true, but it is a fine radio and you won't be disappointed (even if I did have to hit the reset button the other day when I changed the batteries).
If you could take the best of the DE1103 and the form factor and useability of the PL310 you would have a winner.

Steve

Vimal

Hi,
Do'nt go for PL390.It has faulty decoders for tuning and volume,ab initio.
PL380 has made some changes in circuit board which has deviated it's performance from what was reviewed earlier.
DE1103 (KA1103) seems to be a safe bet.
BTW I own PL390 & KA1103.
I have no experience of PL380.

On 08-Sep-2014, at 1:40 am, "Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Hi..

I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390
But also think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.

I like to know if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of electric devices etc.

Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!

Hans

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Have had many desktop receivers in the very past.. Kenwood 5000, Lowe, etc.. but now I prefer small light ones. I have already a longwire antenna in my garden.

Hans

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 07:56:54AM +0200, Hans Stam
> hansstam@... [ultralightdx] wrote:
>
>> Well, I only use my Sangean ATS 909X inmy house as desktop
>> receiver..
>> and will do that also with new (advised) receivers..
>>
> Then you should get a desktop receiver and set up an external antenna.
>

> Posted by: microcode@...

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Thanks for the reply..

But do you have and others experiences with electric noise etc? That was also one of my question..

Hans

> Hi,
> Do'nt go for PL390.It has faulty decoders for tuning and volume,ab
> initio. PL380 has made some changes in circuit board which has
> deviated it's performance from what was reviewed earlier. DE1103
> (KA1103) seems to be a safe bet. BTW I own PL390 & KA1103. I have no
> experience of PL380.
>

> On 08-Sep-2014, at 1:40 am, "Hans Stam hansstam@...
> [ultralightdx]" wrote:
>>

>> Hi..
>>
> I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390 But also
> think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.   I like to know
> if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of electric
> devices etc.   Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!   Hans
>

> Posted by: Vimal Oberoi

Russ Edmunds

You may be looking for something which isn't typically a feature of these small portables. Noise rejection
isn't usually a design consideration in small portables. I have 2 G8's, 2 PL-310's, a Sangean DT200VX and
a Sony SRF-59 as well as 3 Sony ICF 2010's ( these not Ultralights obviously ) and the only way to deal
with noise on AM/LW is to null it with the antenna. In the Ultralights, the internal sticks simply are too small
to be optimal for this. Even the much larger ferrites in the 2010's cannot always be relied upon to null out
noise.

--
Russ Edmunds
15 mi NW Phila

AM: Modified Sony ICF2010's (2) barefoot w/whip
FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder;
Onkyo T-450RDS; Tecsun PL-310 ( 2);
modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15';
Grundig G8 w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Oke, I was already afraid for this and I also think it is almost impossible to reject in these small ones..
But it differs.. I also have a Supertech WR-30
http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~tel00101/FotoAlbum/RadioCorner/Sets/SuperTWR30.htm

This small receiver connected with my longwire antenna, give a good result and has less! noise then my Sangean ATS 909X on the broadcast bands..

Hans

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 08:20:38 -0400
From: "Russ Edmunds wb2bjh@... [ultralightdx]"
<ultralightdx@...>
To: ultralightdx@...

[...]

and ...

I have also here a Sony ICF-SW11

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ICF-SW11-12-band-Discontinued-Manufacturer/product-reviews/B0002VM7MG and this nice receiver gives also less noise then the Sangean ATS 909X on broadcasts bands..

Hans

> You may be looking for something which isn't typically a feature of
> these small portables. Noise rejection
>
> isn't usually a design consideration in small portables. I have 2
> G8's, 2 PL-310's, a Sangean DT200VX and
>
> a Sony SRF-59 as well as 3 Sony ICF 2010's ( these not Ultralights
> obviously ) and the only way to deal
> with noise on AM/LW is to null it with the antenna. In the
> Ultralights, the internal sticks simply are too small
>
> to be optimal for this. Even the much larger ferrites in the 2010's
> cannot always be relied upon to null out
>
> noise.
>

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Hans Stam hansstam@...
> [ultralightdx] wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for the reply..
>>
> But do you have and others experiences with electric noise etc? That
> was also one of my question..
>
> Hans
>>

>> Hi,
>> Do'nt go for PL390.It has faulty decoders for tuning and volume,ab
>> initio. PL380 has made some changes in circuit board which has
>> deviated it's performance from what was reviewed earlier. DE1103
>> (KA1103) seems to be a safe bet. BTW I own PL390 & KA1103. I have
>> no experience of PL380.
>>

>> On 08-Sep-2014, at 1:40 am, "Hans Stam hansstam@...
>> [ultralightdx]" wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi..
>>>
>> I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390 But also
>> think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.   I like to
>> know if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of
>> electric devices etc.   Please tell me about your experiences,
>> thanks!   Hans
>>

>> Posted by: Vimal Oberoi
>

> --
> Russ Edmunds
> 15 mi NW Phila
> Grid FN20id
>

> AM: Modified Sony ICF2010's (2) barefoot w/whip
> FM: Yamaha T-80 & T-85, each w/ Conrad RDS Decoder; Onkyo T-450RDS;
> Tecsun PL-310 ( 2); modified Sony ICF2010 w/APS9B @ 15'; Grundig G8
> w/whip; modified Sony ICF2010 w/whip
>

> Posted by: Russ Edmunds

Hans Stam <hansstam@...>

Thanks Vimal.. Yes I knew this site and it gives good information..

Hans

Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 18:23:45 +0530
From: "Vimal Oberoi sumanmed@... [ultralightdx]"
<ultralightdx@...>
To: "ultralightdx@..." <ultralightdx@...>

Please refer to:
http://radiojayallen.com/combatting-am-and-sw-interference/
See if this helps
-Vimal Oberoi
Sent from my iPhone
On 08-Sep-2014, at 5:22 pm, "Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Thanks for the reply..
But do you have and others experiences with electric noise etc? That was also one of my question..
Hans

Hi,
Do'nt go for PL390.It has faulty decoders for tuning and volume,ab
initio. PL380 has made some changes in circuit board which has
deviated it's performance from what was reviewed earlier. DE1103
(KA1103) seems to be a safe bet. BTW I own PL390 & KA1103. I have no
experience of PL380.

Sent from my iPhone

On 08-Sep-2014, at 1:40 am, "Hans Stam hansstam@...
[ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Hi..
I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390 But also
think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.   I like to know
if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of electric
devices etc.   Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!   Hans

Posted by: Vimal Oberoi <sumanmed@...>

Vimal

Please refer to:
See if this helps
-Vimal Oberoi

On 08-Sep-2014, at 5:22 pm, "Hans Stam hansstam@... [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

Thanks for the reply..

But do you have and others experiences with electric noise etc? That was also one of my question..

Hans

> Hi,
> Do'nt go for PL390.It has faulty decoders for tuning and volume,ab
> initio. PL380 has made some changes in circuit board which has
> deviated it's performance from what was reviewed earlier. DE1103
> (KA1103) seems to be a safe bet. BTW I own PL390 & KA1103. I have no
> experience of PL380.
>

> On 08-Sep-2014, at 1:40 am, "Hans Stam hansstam@...
> [ultralightdx]" <ultralightdx@...> wrote:
>>

>> Hi..
>>
> I am looking for a receiver like the Tecsun PL-380 or 390 But also
> think about a DE1103 I have read many good reviews.   I like to know
> if the 380 is worth buying, and how it handles with noise of electric
> devices etc.   Please tell me about your experiences, thanks!   Hans
>

> Posted by: Vimal Oberoi <sumanmed@...>

Russ Edmunds

Connecting to a longwire changes the equation, as the internal antenna's shortcomings can be overridden,
but if you are listening in a noisy building, a longwire is also likely to pick up noise on its own.

Unlike some of the other commenters, I do almost all of my DX'ing from my home, and happily I don't have
excessive noise, although there is some, and I have to null it as I have no outdoor antennas because of
my close proximity to several powerful AM transmitters. I have found that for AM & LW, I rely on the Sony
2010's which have better noise rejection and larger internal antennas.

I am not familiar with the WR-30, so cannot comment on why it might be better in that regard.