Digest Number 2263

Tony King <tonyzl@...>

Medium Wave challenge. An interesting idea Paul but in my view way outside the Ultralight parameters, where you say Any and all equipment capable of receiving the medium wave broadcast band can be used.

Tony K NZ

On 12 March 2014 20:22, <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

1 Message

Digest #2263

Message

1

Medium wave Radio DXing Challenge 2014

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm (PDT) . Posted by:

paulgblundell

I would like to propose a medium wave radio dxing challenge to run for the rest of the year. This is not a competition and it is not about beating anybody else except yourself, it is a trust based challenge and the rules are not too complex. I see it working along these lines.

- Each station you receive in each dxing session is scored based on the distance from your location to the transmitter; it does not need to accurate, only to the nearest 1000km. A number of good websites exist which can help with finding these distances.
The scoring table is:
0 - 1000km = 1 point
1001 - 2000km = 3 points
2001 - 3000km = 6 points
3001 - 4000km = 9 points
Over 4000km = 12 points

- You also receive a bonus based on the location of your medium wave dxing session. If it is a new location then you double your total score. Again this is trust based as to what counts as a new location. I would say a 1km radius around each location would be a fair guide. This is to encourage portable / mobile operation.

- Each location can only be counted once in a 24 hour period and the double score bonus only counts the first time you log from each location.

- Full logs do not need to be kept, just a total for each session (with location) and a running total of your score. A simple spreadsheet can do this.

- Any and all equipment capable of receiving the medium wave broadcast band can be used.

- At the end of the challenge I can produce certificates for each person who takes part.

I have created a page on my blog just for this challenge where progress scores and information can be shared: http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/p/medium-wave-radio-dxing-challenge-2014.html

Any questions can be directed to me via email: tanger32au@...

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the reply Tony.

This has been posted across many groups / forums so it is open to anybody with equipment capable of receiving the Medium wave band.