I would like to propose a medium wave radio dxing challenge to run for the rest of the year. This is not a competition and it is not about beating anybody else except yourself, it is a trust based challenge and the rules are not too complex. I see it working along these lines.
- Each station you receive in each dxing session is scored based on the distance from your location to the transmitter; it does not need to accurate, only to the nearest 1000km. A number of good websites exist which can help with finding these distances.
The scoring table is:
0 - 1000km = 1 point
1001 - 2000km = 3 points
2001 - 3000km = 6 points
3001 - 4000km = 9 points
Over 4000km = 12 points
- You also receive a bonus based on the location of your medium wave dxing session. If it is a new location then you double your total score. Again this is trust based as to what counts as a new location. I would say a 1km radius around each location would be a fair guide. This is to encourage portable / mobile operation.
- Each location can only be counted once in a 24 hour period and the double score bonus only counts the first time you log from each location.
- Full logs do not need to be kept, just a total for each session (with location) and a running total of your score. A simple spreadsheet can do this.
- Any and all equipment capable of receiving the medium wave broadcast band can be used.
- At the end of the challenge I can produce certificates for each person who takes part.
I have created a page on my blog just for this challenge where progress scores and information can be shared: http://ultralightdxing.blogspot.com.au/p/medium-wave-radio-dxing-challenge-2014.html
Any questions can be directed to me via email: tanger32au@...