I need soldering help for loopstick/pl-380 mod

Ryan Martin

First, I'd like to thank Gary for the loopstick mod plans and tubing! I managed to build one yesterday and am impressed with the results. However, my soldering looks like crap. I have a 50 watt soldering iron and still wasn't able to heat the wire enough to tin the ends. I ended up melting the solder and just cold soldering it to the board. I want to build another one but have someone do a better job soldering the two connections for me. For some reason, the ugly cold solder connections bug me. I'll probably give the first build to my dad.
So my question is...is there anyone here that is trustworthy, good at soldering and willing to make the two solder connections for a reasonable fee? Of course, I'll prepay the return shipping. I'm going to wait until after the holidays for the second build.
Thanks, Ryan

John Bruckner

Ryan:

What kind of litz wire did you use? Easily soldered new type or the old vintage wire? If the old vintage litz, it is very difficult to solder.

If you can't get anyone close to you to respond, I would be willing to tin the litz wire for you using my solder pot.

John

WØHII

[...]

This is the link for the litz wire I bought>
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Litz-wire-250-46-0-04-mm-for-crystal-radio-coil-Loop-antenna-100-/160804560511
...not sure if it's the "new" type.

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "John Bruckner" <jbruckner@...> wrote:

[...]

bwlietz

Did you try to dip the ends of the wire in rosin paste before attempting to tin it?  The solder will flow on to it even with a 15 watt solder iron.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "John Bruckner" >
> Ryan:
>

> What kind of litz wire did you use? Easily soldered new type or the old
> vintage wire? If the old vintage litz, it is very difficult to solder.
>
> If you can't get anyone close to you to respond, I would be willing to tin
> the litz wire for you using my solder pot.
>

> John
>
> WØHII

mike z

GM Ryan. My pet method of tinning litz is to use a tip with a flat chisel or slashed tip. If it's an adjustable temp, go high. Get a good solder blob going on the flat surface.  Unwind some of the outer insulation, say 1/2 inch, both layers if there are two, and begin contact with the very end of the conductors. You'll see gunk coming to the surface, that's the insulation melting off the conductors. Feed some more solder into it and start laying more of the wire into the blob.  At some point, the solder will wick into the wire, the gunk will go away, it'll get shinier and you'll have more control of the process. The pretreatment of rosin flux will help, but I've only used that on some ham-fest million year old stuff. The ultimate is a solder pot, but doing a coil or two a week doesn't warrant it here.

 Try a few practice pieces, and use the universal shop safety practices.

Mike N3PM

Ryan Martin

Thank you John for offering to tin the ends for me! Litz is in the mail.
Ryan

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "rmartin100@..." <rmartin100@...> wrote:

[...]

I figured out what I was doing wrong when soldering the litz. My 50W solder iron is garbage. I used an older 30 watt iron and had no problem getting the ends tinned. I'm now very happy with the performance of this radio. I'll post a picture of it.