Completion of 7.5" Loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Article

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

For those interested, the construction portion of the "Heathkit-like" Tecsun PL-380 Supercharging article has been completed, and is available for download at http://www.mediafire.com/download/xr2hkw2o19oy12x/ Before publication in the club bulletins, a short "testing and operation" section will be added (which is still being written).

Included in the 20-page article are detailed procedures to construct an install either a 7.5" Medium Wave or Longwave loopstick into the Tecsun PL-380 circuitry, as well as many Photoshop-enhanced construction photos to make each step as clear as possible. Both of these loopsticks have been successfully used by many DXers on both the Medium Wave and Longwave bands, and both of them provide a very major sensitivity boost over the stock PL-380 loopstick.

Although the detailed installation procedures apply for the Tecsun PL-380 model, these Si4734 DSP chip-optimized 7.5" loopsticks will work just as well with any of the Tecsun DSP models, such as the PL-310, PL-360, PL-606, PL-505, etc. The orange plastic loopstick frames may also be lengthened or shorted to fit the cabinet surfaces of these other models. Hopefully the article will motivate a few DXers to take up their soldering irons, and discover a new level of Ultralight radio DXing excitement!

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Guy Atkins

Hi Gary,

Your 7.5" PL-380 loopstick article is superbly detailed and clear. Hopefully it will inspire even the "DIY-challenged" Ultralight enthusiasts to give it a try.

If the Fine Tuning's "Proceedings" series of books was still in publication, I and the other editors would be clamoring to include your quality article! It's definitely up to the level of detail and information we were striving for in each article & review for the intermediate and advanced radio hobbyist.

Well done!

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, D1028Gary@... wrote:

[...]

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Hi Gary and all,

Many many thanks for the full article. Although I don't have a 7.5" rod, I hope to build something
based on your design for a shorter one. There may be an issue with my ancient Word 97
on W2K software, but under the title and further down, some interspersed pages appear
blank. It looks as if the text may have no omissions, but I am not sure if anything is missing.
Does anyone else have this issue?

Michael
UK

[...]

. . .

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Phil Pasteur

Hey Gary,
Great article. It will make it very easy to construct one of these.
I sent you an email directly, hopefully to the correct email address. I am interested in getting one of the frames for you. I have rods and Litz wire. Should I just send paypal to your email address. Any idea of what shipping will be?

Thanks,
Phil P.