UltraLight MediumWave DataBase

Paul Blundell

Hi all,

Following on from a couple of my posts looking for ways in which people store the information on the stations they have heard active I set about creating my own database. After trying a few different products I decided on using Microsoft Access 2007, below is some information on it.

This page (http://ulmwdx.blogspot.com.au/p/ulmwdb-ultralight-mediumwave.html) is for my UltraLight MediumWave DataBase (ULMWDB) which I have designed using Microsoft Access 2007. If you do not own Access 2007 you can download the Access 2007 runtime environment which will allow you to use this database.

As I am still in the early stages of designing this any and all feedback and suggestions are welcome. Please see a screen capture below of the main data entry screen.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_DkosL5UECU/Unr1hSyq0II/AAAAAAAACXY/tdk0q1mHoEU/s1600/ULMWDB_07112013.JPG

Regards
Paul

Paul S. in CT

It looks OK, using the presentation style, but I would suggest a more portable method that any listener could download as a reference. Sometimes a pdf or Office spreadsheet style is more convenient and printable. If you wish, take a peek at the ULRX file in Folder #8 here. There's a lot of stuff one can record, and in several ways. But basically, a simple listinng of the stations occurs in the first 14 pages (620+ entries). Once you make a basic listing sort, copy, and paste is your friend for other ways of grouping the logs.

I'm not suggesting a different method, but recommending a portable version in addition to the present method.

Cheers and GL

Paul S. in CT

---In ultralightdx@..., <tanger32au@...> wrote:

[...]

Guy Atkins

On the subject of databases for DX purposes,  back in 2000 some of us West Coast DXers started using a simple but very useful "flat file" database called B-Log. It was written by Tom Lackamp, AB9B.

Among our group of DXers, this little program became the preferred way to track loggings. I particularly like B-Log's ability to format text file (ASCII) output suitable for a couple of different reporting styles ("UTE Export", "SWL Export", and "MW Export" buttons). We worked with B-Log's author to help him set up the export buttons for acceptable formatting of the selected loggings for the NASWA Journal (SWL) and for the IRCA mailing list (MW). (I can't recall what we used as the standard for the UTE Export.)

B-Log does not write any data to the Windows Registry, which helps keep B-Log simple, transportable, and useful even today, 13 years later.

A brief review of B-Log is published in this article:  http://www.dxing.info/articles/hitech.dx

Although B-Log's web page hasn't been live for years, it still exists via the Archive.org service:

What's more, the actual ZIP file of the B-Log program is still available: Download B-Log V1.1 - "B-Log-V1r1.zip" - 534 kBytes

I still use B-Log for shortwave loggings, and occasionally for MW loggings & reports too. It runs great under many different flavors of MS Windows.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

Paul Blundell

Thanks for the reply Guy, I have just downloaded that and will have a look at it. I might get some ideas for my own program from it.

Paul

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM, thinkdx <dx@...> wrote:

[...]

Following some feedback on this I have made some changes:

- Verified has been changed to validated.
- Time (UTC) has been added.
- I have added some more receiver options, this is based on my own equipment and set up but can be easily changed to suit different equipment.
- I am now also adding some options to also log shortwave stations.

http://ulmwdx.blogspot.com.au/p/ulmwdb-ultralight-mediumwave.html

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sVTDEQZweBM/UoPwRym4csI/AAAAAAAACac/1D30wqVaxX4/s1600/ULMWDB_14112013.JPG

Regards
Paul