My First Impressions on CC Pocket AM/FM Weather Radio

gmosherat

Ultralightdx,

I received a CC Pocket Radio for a birthday gift on Saturday and well.. I'm presently surprised. I won't go into details on specs as that's been covered elsewhere - rather, more on performance in the AM space - I don't use FM.

I live in Western New York State, close to Rochester - This is all barefoot - stock everything - no external antenna.  Over the course of 26 hour timespan I logged 101 AM stations. This consisted of a few hours of logging Sat eve,  then a few hours Sunday during afternoon daylight, and a third session of 4 hours Sunday evening.

Furthest heard is AM 870 WWL in New Orleans. I Also heard the time ticks from Radio Reloj on a few frequencies - Not unheard of for good radios in my location. - Comparable to my Tecsun PL 310.

Regards,

Gregory

bwlietz

The CC Pocket Radio seems to be more a clone of the Sangean DT400W than the Tecsun PL210.  My Sangean bit the dust and I replaced it with a Degen DE1105 which does not have  NOAA,  tunes to 1KHz on the MW band.also has SW.  Much more satisfied.  The Sangean did receive well but did not have the memory buttons of the CC Pocket otherwise appearance and specs and the LCD display are the same.  The Sangean was Yellow not grey and rubberized as the CC Pocket.

I received a CC Pocket Radio for a birthday gift on Saturday and well.. I'm presently surprised. I won't go into details on specs as that's been covered elsewhere - rather, more on performance in the AM space - I don't use FM.

I live in Western New York State, close to Rochester - This is all barefoot - stock everything - no external antenna.  Over the course of 26 hour timespan I logged 101 AM stations. This consisted of a few hours of logging Sat eve,  then a few hours Sunday during afternoon daylight, and a third session of 4 hours Sunday evening.

Furthest heard is AM 870 WWL in New Orleans. I Also heard the time ticks from Radio Reloj on a few frequencies - Not unheard of for good radios in my location. - Comparable to my Tecsun PL 310.

Regards,
Gregory

Gary Kinsman

Although on AM the CC Pocket has wide/narrow DSP filters and optional 1 kHz tuning, so it's not really a clone of the DT-400W either.

---In ultralightdx@..., <ultralightdx@...> wrote:

[...]

DiamJ

The CC Pocket is indeed a clone of both the Sangean DT400W (with WX) and DT200X (without WX). I haven't seen much discussion of the DT200X but I would recommend it if you don't wabt the WX band.
http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=50.

The major difference is the CC pocket has the five memory buttons for 55 memories and a wide/narrow MW filter.
The older models have only the up/down buttons for 19 memories and no filter switch. I own the DT200X and find it to be excellent on MW and indeed I logged WWL from here in Massachusetts. The major drawback to all these models is there is no built-in FM antenna. You must insert an antenna wire or use the earphones as the FM antenna.

________________________________
I received a CC Pocket Radio for a birthday gift on Saturday and well.. I'm presently surprised. I won't go into details on specs as that's been covered elsewhere - rather, more on performance in the AM space - I don't use FM.

I live in Western New York State, close to Rochester - This is all barefoot - stock everything - no external antenna.  Over the course of 26 hour timespan I logged 101 AM stations. This consisted of a few hours of logging Sat eve,  then a few hours Sunday during afternoon daylight, and a third session of 4 hours Sunday evening.

Furthest heard is AM 870 WWL in New Orleans. I Also heard the time ticks from Radio Reloj on a few frequencies - Not unheard of for good radios in my location. - Comparable to my Tecsun PL 310.

Regards,
Gregory

DiamJ

OK, not a clone but we'll call it an upgrade.

---In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, <ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

 DiamJ,

Perhaps you are thinking of the CC Pocket SW radio?  It looks and has similar features to the Tecsun PL 200.

 The CC pocket AM FM Weather is very similar to the Sangean DT-400W.

Regards,

Gregory

--- In ultralightdx@..., <gkinsman@...> wrote:

> Although on AM the CC Pocket has wide/narrow DSP filters and optional 1 kHz tuning, so it's not really a clone of the DT-400W either.
>

> ---In ultralightdx@..., <ultralightdx@...> wrote:
>
> The CC Pocket Radio seems to be more a clone of the Sangean DT400W than the Tecsun PL210. My Sangean bit the dust and I replaced it with a Degen DE1105 which does not have NOAA, tunes to 1KHz on the MW band.also has SW. Much more satisfied. The Sangean did receive well but did not have the memory buttons of the CC Pocket otherwise appearance and specs and the LCD display are the same. The Sangean was Yellow not grey and rubberized as the CC Pocket.

Stephen Ponder <stephen_ponder@...>

Note - My impressions are based on the MW performance of the CCrane "CC Pocket Radio" ...

I've been using the CC Pocket Radio for several months now. I find it to be a better digital DX ULR than the Sangean DT-400W. That's a bold statement for me because, as many of you on this list may remember, I "praised" the DT-400W quite highly. In fact, I even purchased s second one, just in case I "wore out" my first one.

What makes the CC Pocket Radio such a great digital DX ULR? First, it has a user-defined MW bandwidth (either 4.0 or 2.5 kHz). I generally keep mine set at 2.5 kHz.

Second, it has user-defined MW tuning steps (either 10 or 1 kHz). Depending on the reception circumstances, I sometimes toggle to 1 kHz and then de-tune up or down from the station's assigned frequency to see if I can get a better copy.

Third, I like the 5 memory buttons lined up across the front of the radio beneath the display. Makes it easier to navigate across the MW band, especially at night in bed with the lights out and my wife sleeping quietly beside me!

One thing I don't like about the radio is that the display looks blurred at night with the backlighting. I can see the display clearly from either side, but directly in front of the radio, it's blurred. Haven't heard if anybody else has noticed this or not.

Well, that's my 2¢ worth ... Would I buy another CC Pocket Radio? That's BIG YEP!!

73 & Good DX,

Steve Ponder, N5WBI
Houston, TX

DiamJ

Gregory,

I meant the little-known Sangean DT200X. Much the same as the 400W but without weather band (which for most dxers isn't that important).
Follow this link to see it:

http://www.sangean.com/products/product_spec.asp?mid=50