Degen DE321 vs Tecsun R9710 - simply compared

CM Lee

The parcels of the two radios from Hong Kong arrived at home today. I will compare the two radios.

1. Degen DE321
Pros
- extremely thin
- decent for casual SW listening
- excellent FM reception (even than Sony radios!): very sensitive and also good for areas of strong & busy signals such as southwestern Seoul.
- good selectivity thanks to DSP
- As for a dial-tuning radio, SW bandwidths are wide enough to cover most SW broadcasts (on 49, 31, 19 metre bands)
- Compared to R9710, it is less susceptible to indoor noise (SW reception).

Cons
- DSP muting (though less annoying to me than I did expect)
- "mediocre" MW reception performance (but slightly better than Panasonic RF-P50)
- MW dial point does not fit to the dial numbers! (HLKA 711kHz points around 600kHz)
- 75 metre band is missing

Cons mentioned in various reviews, but that I do not somewhat agree with
- a bit stiff dial?
- a stiff stand?

2. Tecsun R9710
Pros
- Analogue dual conversion circuitry
- much less drifting in SW tuning than Sony ICF-SW11 and Sony but "slightly" less stable than PLL dual conversion radios or the Sony ICF-SW22.

Cons
- More sprious signals than DE321 in SW/FM reception
- thicker than DE321 in size
- As for a dial-tuning radio, SW bandwidths are narrower than those of DE321 (on 49, 31, 19 metre bands)
- 75 metre band is missing
- more hiss noise when listening via headphones
- The Tune LED (bright green colour) indicator exceedingly points on: it turns on unnecessarily even on strong noises!
- Compared to DE321, it is more susceptible to indoor noise (SW reception).
- less popularity? (so less sellers who deal with this model)

**
For SW newbies: both are decent.
For MW DXing: You must go on R9710.
For FM radio lovers: DE321 is better.
For serious SW DXing: go on Tecsun PL-660/PL-600/PL-380, Sony ICF-SW7600GR

Tecsun R9710 is a replacement for Tecsun R912, since the R912's AM/FM mode button is out of order.

Andy Lee in Seoul

keith beesley

Thanks for the reviews, Andy.

Is MW listening still popular in Korea? Are there many MW DXers? What do you hear on SW?

If you get a chance to post some loggings, I'm sure a lot of listeners would be interested.

Keith B.

[...]

bwlietz

I would be very interested in a comparison of the Tescun R9710 to the Degen DE208.  I have the Degen, only $19.95 on Amazon, and I find it decent for evening DX'ing here in Detroit, Mi area.

Thanks for the review,
Barry