Upcoming Trip to Big Island of Hawaii - Any DX Tips?

kugellagers

I will soon be taking a quick trip to the big island of Hawaii for work and will have two, maybe three, evenings/nights to try some DX.

I have compiled a list of things I think might be possible DX targets along with the local radio stations.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sB8cUPt1KQDLHUu0uPRCIC9thx7K01J32DW08gofSmLjkYaEFY-KYMm5XCWHLyZxvQK4ihl_JIY7NG7lvGGDY4pzfNPJNi7VkbI/8.%20Members%20Loggings%20%26%20DXpeditions/Hawaii%20%26%20Pacific%20Territories%20DX%20Targets.xls

I will be in Volcano for two nights in Hawaii Volcanoes National Park where it is sure to be very RFI quiet. The last night I will be on the upper floors of a hotel in Hilo. I will be bringing my PL-380 with 7.5" loopstick and probably my inductively coupled 25' vertical/wire setup (minus the aluminum tent stakes).

Some of the targets on the list I made are NDBs in Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa.

I will not have time to get to the beach while in Volcano...I will be next to the volcano ....go figure and in what I think will be a very RFI quiet location. The hotel in Hilo sits on the ocean...I may be able to hang something off the balcony. Should be quieter than my recent trip to Anchorage but not quiet - Hilo is far smaller than Anchorage.

I will most likely only be able to DX at night after work. It gets dark there around 6:50pm

Any tips or suggestions of what to look for? NDBs or maybe distant DX in addition to what I put in my DX target file?

John
];')

Bob Coomler

I probably wouldn't want to go there at night, but Ka Lae (South Point), the southernmost point of the Big Island and the U.S. has always intrigued me.  Maybe sunset or sunrise?

Bob Coomler W7SWL
Tucson, AZ

[...]

Gary DeBock

Hi John,

From the big island of Hawaii you should be able to hear a lot of South
Pacific AM-DX from New Zealand, Australia and the Pacific islands as
long as you can listen just before your local sunrise (or stay up until
after sunset at the transmitter site in the South Pacific).

For long-range NDB's on Longwave you might try for the same ones that
worked for me two weeks ago during the Oregon cliff DXpedition--
270-FA in Samoa, 260-NF on Norfolk Island and 238-KT in New Zealand.
These beacons typically wait until there is quite a bit of sunlight in
the early morning (just before sunrise) before they show up at all,
then they drop out like a rock after about 5 minutes on Ultralight
radios :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

[...]

kevin asato <kc6pob@...>

Ah but you can get to the beach (and stay in Volcanos National Park). There is a road from Volcano House that goes to the south end of the Park which empties into a large parking lot (or used to). This parking lot is next to the ocean but it's not broad and sandy like the tourist beaches. While parked there, you can stroll out on the lava flows and maybe get a glimpse of the newest part of the island being formed (it's the steam coming coming out of the ocean where the lava is rolling in). I would definitely try to sneak in an afternoon or early morning to do so.

If you do choose to go out onto the lava flow, please wear long pants and shoes as the lava is very glass like - not smooth and slippery but sharp, ribbon-like flows. I have seen tourists in shorts and open toed sandals trip and fall - not a pretty sight.
73,
kevin
kc6pob

[...]

@ Bob & Kevin

I will actually be staying in the park only about 150 yards from the crater rim (closer than Volcano House) in a house reserved for visiting scientists and officials of the Hawiian Volcano Observatory.

Plug these coordinates into Google Earth to see: 19.424021, -155.255874

There is an overlook 150 yards to the WSW of the house that sits atop a 350 ft or so cliff that overlooks the caldera and lava lake. Which makes me wonder what affect, if any, a lake of molten rock would have on RF propagation/noise? I did a little research on volcanic soils and found that when wet (this area gets rain nearly every day) they are nearly as conductive as clayey soils. But that doesn't tell me what affects solid lava rock and molten lava would have on propagation. I imagine it would be small since the actual lake is about 3km SW of the cliff (near the smoke in the Google image). I think 350 ft height the cliff itself might help more with reception that anything else...Talk about cliffside DX Gary!

@ Gary

Do you have just a list (like word or excel or text)of your recent DXpedition Pacific NDBs and MW station log? I thought there might be one somewhere online but I may have been thinking of something else. I would like to add/supplement my DX target list with yours. I think I might have a better chance at grabbing some of SP stations/NDBs these given the quiet and closr location.

Thanks,

John
];')

--- In ultralightdx@..., "kugellagers" <kugellager@...> wrote:

[...]

A list of the 12 Alaskan, 2 Hawaiian and 3 South Pacific NDB's received
during the recent Oregon Cliff DXpedition (along with MP3 links) is
pasted below. The dates and times of reception (in UTC) are encoded on
the MP3 file names posted in MediaFire. You should have a reasonable
chance of receiving several of these Longwave beacons on the Big Island
if you can DX just prior to sunrise, but since the South Pacific NDB's
have tricky propagation, it's a tossup each morning as to whether they
will make an appearance. If they do, they are never very strong on
Ultralight radios, and will usually drop out like a rock after about 5
minutes of weak code. Sometimes the west coast NDB-DXers like Steve and
Don will hear them on a morning when Mike Tuggle in Hawaii can't get
them at all. Weird!

The full Medium Wave DXpedition report (including a detailed list of
the 16 New Zealand, 15 Australian,1 Tahitian and 1 Fijian loggings
with MP3 recording links) has been posted at
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?nk9tlf95t0b2m14

I hope that these will prove useful during your trip, and good luck!

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

180- Radio Rossii (Yelizovo, Russia) Another LWBC station dropping
down into the noise because of solar activity
http://www.mediafire.com/?501y10ha75p2eeq

209-CYT (Yakataga, ALS) Best signals ever heard from this TWEB
beacon, which seems to have improved its antenna system
http://www.mediafire.com/?icdb5bwdpi4pdnr

212-CGL (Coghland Island, ALS) Heard for the first time during any
ocean beach trip, and never heard at home. Usually weak
http://www.mediafire.com/?uddxssi38xyi3ge

219-GAV (Gustavus, ALS) Alaska panhandle beacon at typical strength
during this ocean beach trip
http://www.mediafire.com/?84ave8pqaq5gd5u

233-ALS (Johnstone Island, ALS) Alaskan super beacon with typical
booming signals, this time without any 234-Rossii competition
http://www.mediafire.com/?xv9qqqg7pfkrrki

238-KT (Waimanoni-Awanui, New Zealand) This beacon was received
barely above the noise level on the exceptional morning of 7-19 at
1216Z, and was a new long distance record for Ultralight NDB-DXing
reception (6,738 miles, or 10,843 km). Reception was possible only
because of the demise of semi-local 236-HQ since the last DXpedition.
Sensitive headphones recommended
http://www.mediafire.com/?m9urjoqxzjj3ev0

260-NF (Puppy's Point, Norfolk Island, Australia) Another very long
range South Pacific beacon (6,627 miles, or 10,664 km), it was received
twice during this trip at decent strength, including on the exceptional
morning of 7-19
http://www.mediafire.com/?6c4rfhb4vrqumdh

266-ICK (Annette Island, ALS) Strong Alaskan panhandle beacon which
is usually the second most vibrant NDB from the state at home
http://www.mediafire.com/?mf6d191bq1a2p0y

270-FA (Faleolo IAP, Apia, Upolu Island, Samoa) The third South
Pacific NDB received during this trip, it was heard on two different
days at decent strength (5,012 miles, or 8,065 km)
http://www.mediafire.com/?iqv8f63ez1zkomc

279- Radio Rossii (Yuzhno-Sakahlinsk, Russia) Usual LWBC blowtorch on
the Oregon ocean coast had its awesome signals tamed a little bit by
the mediocre solar conditions
http://www.mediafire.com/?f1kvxvhvhnuadcv

283-DUT (Dutch Harbor, ALS) Transmitting from the remote home base of
the Discovery Channel's "Deadliest Catch" program, this long range
Alaskan beacon put in fair signals on most days
http://www.mediafire.com/?14va6e06oj7l238

332-POA (Puhoa, Hawaii) One of the highlights of this trip was
recording this MP3 of the distant Hawaiian beacon (usually Hawaiian #2
on the west coast) kicking the semi-local pest 332-LBH way down into
second place
http://www.mediafire.com/?6v8g1l6f63lodvl

353-LLD (Lanai, Hawaii) The strongest Hawaiian beacon had its usual
thundering signal, and was a nice propagation indicator for the South
Pacific NDB's
http://www.mediafire.com/?t7zm3v82v5qm17u

358-SIT (Sitka, ALS) Strong Alaskan TWEB beacon despite Canadian DAID
NDB interference, it usually boomed in on the cliff
http://www.mediafire.com/?srrskug93a8siln

385-OCC (Yakutat, ALS) Usually fighting it out with Canadian super
beacon WL on most mornings, this TWEB beacon occasionally got the upper
hand
http://www.mediafire.com/?y86h12lp8wo14yi

390-HBT (Sand Point, ALS) Long range Alaskan beacon would typically
fade in just before sunrise, then was quickly gone
http://www.mediafire.com/?q8inun54wcbndog

391-EEF (Sisters Island, ALS) Alaska panhandle beacon occasionally
put in great signals despite its crowded frequency
http://www.mediafire.com/?u66d53p5ba2n5pg

394-RWO (Kodiak, ALS) Alaskan TWEB beacon with occasional good
strength, it fought it out with Canadian DQ on most mornings
http://www.mediafire.com/?q5tlzr95toonc97

529-UnID TWEB (ALS) Presumed to be SQM because of the more frequent
reports, Alaskan FDV is also on the frequency. Unable to dig a code ID
out of the TWEB broadcast because of the domestic TIS splatter from
530 kHz during the recording
http://www.mediafire.com/?67838f6jc72fu4x

wrote:

[...]

Guy Atkins

When I spent a week on the island of Rarotonga in 1993, SW & MW reception was sadly very poor the entire time. I had hoped to snag Niue which is about 650 mi. distant, but not even a peep out of it. I would hear the stronger Sydney and Melbourne MW outlets for a few hours each night but at a mediocre level, and I occasionally caught 738 Tahiti but also at a poor to fair level. I tried various random wires 100-150 feet in length, with the Grundig Satellit 500 and smaller portables I had along for the trip, but results were the same with every combination.

I found it hard to blame the results on poor propagation for an entire week. In correspondence with Patrick Martin in Oregon after the trip, he speculated that the highly volcanic soil affected reception, as he'd heard of someone else encountering the same thing from "Raro". However, I've read about others who had much better luck. This compilation article by Paul Ormandy highlights visits made by various DXers to Rarotonga:  http://radiodx.com/nzrdxl/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=296   (includes my own investigation on the disappearance of R. Cook Islands from the SW bands).

So, maybe it was just lousy conditions all of that week in "paradise", rather than a QTH on an island of lava rock?  Hmm... I think I need to make a return trip to investigate further  :^)

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "kugellagers" wrote:
> There is an overlook 150 yards to the WSW of the house that sits atop a 350 ft or so cliff that overlooks the caldera and lava lake. Which makes me wonder what affect, if any, a lake of molten rock would have on RF propagation/noise? I did a little research on volcanic soils and found that when wet (this area gets rain nearly every day) they are nearly as conductive as clayey soils. But that doesn't tell me what affects solid lava rock and molten lava would have on propagation. I imagine it would be small since the actual lake is about 3km SW of the cliff (near the smoke in the Google image). I think 350 ft height the cliff itself might help more with reception that anything else...Talk about cliffside DX Gary!

kugellagers

Thank you Gary for pointing me in the right direction!

I will certainly try to do a morning Dx session. I will see how my jetlag affects me.

John
];')