Oregon Cliff Ultralight DU's for 7-18

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

Thanks to Dennis and Steve for their interesting DU-DXing reports this
morning.

After tracking down a steep ocean side cliff on Highway 101 just south
of Yachats, OR (near Cape Perpetua), I was able to set up with a 7.5"
MW loopstick Tecsun PL-380 and 8" Medium Wave FSL (on a 5' PVC base)
around 1100 UTC this early morning.

Longwave DX was a dud and only a couple of Hawaiian NDB's (332-POA and
353-LLD) showed much stength at all on the cliff this morning, while
LWBC and South Pacific NDB-DX was completely missing in action. Several
Alaskan NDB's (233-ALJ, 266-ICK and 394-RWO) showed moderate stength,
but in general Longwave DX was a disappointment.

Medium wave DX was an entirely different story, with an unusually good
opening to New Zealand and Tahiti. 738-RFO, 603-Waatea and 675-Radio
National were all pegging the PL-380's S/N display at the 25 maximum at
times, while 531-PI, 567-RN, 684-NZ Rhema, 765-Kahungunu, 963-Southern
Star, 1008-Newstalk ZB and 1503-Radio Sport were all vibrant at times.
An ID was recorded for the first time on the low-powered 594-NZ Rhema
stations, while the Aussie big guns (and all other Aussies) were
completely missing in action (even 891-5AN, which was highly unusual).
This upset grandiose plans to investigate the Aussie X-banders, but
there is always tomorrow to look forward to.

Internet access is tricky here, but I'll try to upload a DU-DX once a
day. The estimated cliff elevation here is about 400', just the same as
the Rockwork viewpoint... a perfect way to enjoy fanatical Ultralight
radio DU-DX!

73, Gary DeBock (temporarily in Yachats, OR)

robert ross

Hi Gary:

  Good work on your first morning at the Coast!! Hopefully tomorrow will bring something different and even more exotic!! Have Fun on the DX-Pedition!! I look forward to your daily reports.....

73...ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

On 2012-07-18, at 6:00 PM, d1028gary@... wrote:

[...]

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Might these observations in any way be linked to the
CME of recent days?

Michael UK

Longwave DX was a dud and only a couple of Hawaiian NDB's (332-POA and
353-LLD) showed much stength at all on the cliff this morning, . . .
. . . but in general Longwave DX was a disappointment.

Medium wave DX was an entirely different story, with an unusually good
opening to New Zealand and Tahiti. . . .
. . .An ID was recorded for the first time on the low-powered 594-NZ Rhema
stations, while the Aussie big guns (and all other Aussies) were
completely missing in action (even 891-5AN, which was highly unusual).
This upset grandiose plans to investigate the Aussie X-banders, but
there is always tomorrow to look forward to.

73, Gary DeBock (temporarily in Yachats, OR)

Guy Atkins

Thanks for the very interesting report, Gary! Is your ocean cliff the access drive to the Cape Perpetua Lighthouse as we speculated before hand? A mile marker number or GPS coordinates of where you DXed from would be helpful. As you know, I'll be back at Yachats again with my family in September.

Keep an ultralight ear out for 621 Tuvalu; I've been trying for them with the SDR the last couple of trips to the coast without success...but it sounds like you are having nice, targeted results toward Kiwi land!

Have fun down in Yachats, and be sure to check out the excellent teas (and coffee) at The Green Salmon .

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

> Hello All,
>
> Thanks to Dennis and Steve for their interesting DU-DXing reports this
> morning.
>
> After tracking down a steep ocean side cliff on Highway 101 just south
> of Yachats, OR (near Cape Perpetua), I was able to set up with a 7.5"
> MW loopstick Tecsun PL-380 and 8" Medium Wave FSL (on a 5' PVC base)
> around 1100 UTC this early morning.

<SNIP>