From: Dennis Gibson
Subject: [ultralightdx] DSP in a high RF environment
To: ultralightdx@...
Date: Saturday, November 5, 2011, 11:19 PM

Anyone out there using a DSP radIo in a high RF environment? My brand spanking new PL-380 is not amused with my three really local locals. It's better then my G8 but that's not too difficult.

Peter 1956

Yes, I'm using an Eton G8 in Guangzhou, China and it is amused. :)

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Gibson" <wb6tnb@...> wrote:

Anyone out there using a DSP radIo in a high RF environment? My brand spanking new PL-380 is not amused with my three really local locals. It's better then my G8 but that's not too difficult.

huelbe_garcia@fastimap.com <huelbe_garcia@...>

Hey Dennis,

I live about 5-15 miles of two 100kw and four 50kw station. Sony 7600G, Degen 1103, Tecsun PL 660 and Sangean 909X all suffer of 2nd and 3rd intermod. In 1690 I hear 720 and 970 mixed. This due the.nature of their broadband, untuned MW front-end.

The issue also happens in Icom R75, but only with Preamp2 engaged.

How PL380 behaves here? Pretty well on the intermod issue, it does not happen at all. Thanks to Si474 dynamic tank tuning.

I live in heavy urban area, so I cannot report on desensitization..
There's too much QRM here :-(

PU3HAG Huelbe

--hg

Anyone out there using a DSP radIo in a high RF environment? My brand spanking new PL-380 is not amused with my three really local locals. It's better then my G8 but that's not too difficult.

Dennis Gibson <wb6tnb@...>

After a listen outdoors vs. the Kaito KA-1103 I can see what it's capable of but also what I'm missing out on. Starting at the top of the band sometimes something very good on the Kaito is sort of like an open carrier but nothing audible. There's no predicting where that happens. The signal strength thing is great; on those blocked frequencies it says anywhere between 39-42 dbu but no signal to noise at all.

The middle of the band is a crapshoot. My locals are on 990, 1250, 1290, 1340 and 1490. Not many signals anywhere near most of those frequencies is usable; analog is great. In the lower part of the band is where it's promise shows but once again some frequency you'd never guess because it's not even close to any of my locals is blocked. This would be great out in the middle of nowhere.