Radio choices

Ken Kizer

I'm getting ready to buy a new radio, and I'm leaning towards the
Tecsun units. I thought I might get a PL-380, since it's gotten good
reviews and can be bought from a US-based seller. I've seen comments,
though, that the PL-310 is the most sensitive. It's only sold by
overseas distributors.

Obviously I want digital readout. I also want max sensitivity and
selectivity. Short wave is good, but not absolutely required.

Comments? Better brands/models?

Ken

maurits van driessche <mauritsvandriessche@...>

Hi  Ken ,there is now a dealer on Ebay.de in  Germany  ,I think he sells five models, also the PL-380
73,
Maurits Van Driessche
Belgium

I'm getting ready to buy a new radio, and I'm leaning towards the
Tecsun units. I thought I might get a PL-380, since it's gotten good
reviews and can be bought from a US-based seller. I've seen comments,
though, that the PL-310 is the most sensitive. It's only sold by
overseas distributors.

Obviously I want digital readout. I also want max sensitivity and
selectivity. Short wave is good, but not absolutely required.

Comments? Better brands/models?

Ken

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Im impressed with the PL-380.
A directly wired-in external ferrite rod and
selectable bandwidth make my PL-380
a strong contender. Of course, with a big
loop or FSL it performs even better.

Michael UK

I'm getting ready to buy a new radio, and I'm leaning towards the
Tecsun units. I thought I might get a PL-380, since it's gotten good
reviews and can be bought from a US-based seller. I've seen comments,
though, that the PL-310 is the most sensitive. It's only sold by
overseas distributors.

Obviously I want digital readout. I also want max sensitivity and
selectivity. Short wave is good, but not absolutely required.

Comments? Better brands/models?

Ken

dave_m1ctk

The 380 does not have an input for FM antenna whereas the 310 does as well as the dual speaker / stereo version the 390, which also has a larger telescopic whip antenna so better for FM. The am internal; 'coil' is also bigger I read

So I would personally go for the PL-390 which I would have done but when I bought my 310 it was not available !

I would not worry about ordering from ebay if you can wait a week or two...this is currently the best price for the PL-390 stereo version, go for it :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECSUN-New-PL390-PLL-World-Band-w-Dual-Speaker-Radio-/370453400601?pt=Shortwave_Radios&hash=item5640be4c19

Dave
UK

On 13 August 2011 18:47, <cfa@...> wrote:

I'm getting ready to buy a new radio, and I'm leaning towards the
Tecsun units. I thought I might get a PL-380, since it's gotten good
reviews and can be bought from a US-based seller. I've seen comments,
though, that the PL-310 is the most sensitive. It's only sold by
overseas distributors.

Obviously I want digital readout. I also want max sensitivity and
selectivity. Short wave is good, but not absolutely required.

Comments? Better brands/models?

Ken

Ken Kizer

Dave writes...

The 380 does not have an input for FM antenna whereas the 310 does as well
as the dual speaker / stereo version the 390, which also has a larger
telescopic whip antenna so better for FM. The am internal; 'coil' is also
bigger I read

So I would personally go for the PL-390 which I would have done but when I
bought my 310 it was not available !

I would not worry about ordering from ebay if you can wait a week or
two...this is currently the best price for the PL-390 stereo version, go for
it :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TECSUN-New-PL390-PLL-World-Band-w-Dual-Speaker-Radio-/370453400601?pt=Shortwave_Radios&hash=item5640be4c19

Dave
UK
Thank you. that's the kind of information I'm seeking. I didn't
mention DSP, but that looks like it offers mostly better reception.

And I'm interested in granular observations. Most of the Tecsuns, for
instance, offer just about all the options, aside from mp3 recording.

So, the 390 is currently around the top of the list...

On 13 August 2011 18:47, <cfa@alt.net> wrote:

**

I'm getting ready to buy a new radio, and I'm leaning towards the
Tecsun units. I thought I might get a PL-380, since it's gotten good
reviews and can be bought from a US-based seller. I've seen comments,
though, that the PL-310 is the most sensitive. It's only sold by
overseas distributors.

Obviously I want digital readout. I also want max sensitivity and
selectivity. Short wave is good, but not absolutely required.

Comments? Better brands/models?

Ken

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

I wouldn't be concerned about the overseas sellers necessarily. I recently purchased a PL-310 from eBay seller 'it.box' in Hong Kong and had it in less than 2 weeks, and at a good price.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'; Grundig G8; Tecsun P310
AM:  Modified Sony ICF 2010's barefoot

I'm getting ready to buy a new radio, and I'm leaning towards the
Tecsun units. I thought I might get a PL-380, since it's gotten good
reviews and can be bought from a US-based seller. I've seen comments,
though, that the PL-310 is the most sensitive. It's only sold by
overseas distributors.

Obviously I want digital readout. I also want max sensitivity and
selectivity. Short wave is good, but not absolutely required.

Comments? Better brands/models?

Ken

Keith Rennie <krennie@...>

As others have said, don't be afraid of buying from Joyce at anon (ebay).
The 310 is my "go to" radio since it has a tuning vs the wheel of others.  Personal choice.