SSB ultralight class

R. Mark Barnett

I propose an ultralight class that INCLUDES SSB. WHY? As someone who USES SSB and would like to see it on ALL radios with SW bands. SSB has uses on MW as well. A group that is LOOKING for low-end radios with SSB will cause BETTER radios to be built overall. I would like to buy a cheap DSP radio with SSB... but where are they? A feature that is included can be ignored MUCH easier than adding it after the fact. 

Mark Barnett   N8PGV  I want my SSB

GET SWABBED!!! Save a Life by becoming a bone marrow donor. A child near YOU is DYING for a transplant!  
http://www.dkmsamericas.org/  

Organize a Bone Marrow Donor Drive in YOUR Town or Church!

Gary DeBock

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your proposal to form an Ultralight class that includes
SSB.

Of course, we certainly don't wish to limit you (or anyone else) in
enjoying Ultralight radio DXing as you see fit. Since the current Ultralight radio definitions don't seem to agree with your DXing
priorities, the best solution is probably the formation of a separate
Ultralight SSB Yahoo group, where enthusiasts like yourself can enjoy
complete freedom to DX as you wish. We certainly wish you the best as
you form your own Definitions Criteria, Awards Program, Yahoo group
administration, and other necessities. And of course, we certainly hope
that nobody will dissent from your established guidelines, and demand
changes in your Definitions Criteria that will detract from the
challenge of Ultralight DXing that you attempt to promote.

Finally, we wish you the very best of luck (which you will certainly
need in abundance).

73, Gary DeBock
Ultralight Group Co-founder

-----Original Message-----
To: ultralightdx <ultralightdx@...>
Sent: Fri, Aug 5, 2011 12:35 pm
Subject: [ultralightdx] SSB ultralight class

I propose an ultralight class that INCLUDES SSB. WHY? As someone who
USES SSB and would like to see it on ALL radios with SW bands. SSB has
uses on MW as well. A group that is LOOKING for low-end radios with SSB
will cause BETTER radios to be built overall. I would like to buy a
cheap DSP radio with SSB... but where are they? A feature that is
included can be ignored MUCH easier than adding it after the fact. 

GET SWABBED!!! Save a Life by becoming a bone marrow donor. A child
near YOU is DYING for a
transplant!  http://www.dkmsamericas.org/  Organize a Bone Marrow Donor
Drive in YOUR Town or Church!

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

----- Original Message -----
Subject: [ultralightdx] SSB ultralight class

I propose an ultralight class that INCLUDES SSB. WHY? As someone who USES SSB and would like to see
it on ALL radios with SW bands. SSB has uses on MW as well. A group that is LOOKING for low-end
radios with SSB will cause BETTER radios to be built overall. I would like to buy a cheap DSP radio
with SSB... but where are they? A feature that is included can be ignored MUCH easier than adding it
after the fact.
Mark Barnett N8PGV I want my SSB

*************************************************************************************************

I am a keen uldx observer and, when I joined the group, fully accepted
the established norms and am very happy with the way things are and
the quality of support and contributions. ( I might try an external ferrite with
Q-multiplier - but would not suggest the uldx norms be modified to include extraneous
notions in my mind.) I am very much an HF SSB man, having spent many years
operating, maintaining and repairing transceivers in an African hospital network.
There is no impediment to starting a new user-group in yahoo or elsewhere, but
my personal thinking is that it would be unwise to create special interest subsets
- we would end up with x^n mini-groups... It is great as it is!

Michael UK

neilkj6fba <kj6fba@...>

The founders of this group decided on a strict set of rules and the group has certainly done well. These rules are very unlikely to be modified and that is clearly their right. I respect their right to have rules and enforce them rigidly. I also enjoy reading the experimentation they are doing with antennas attached to the ULRs.

Like a number of people, I am a long time radio fan and regularly use SSB, passband tuning, ECSS and the like in my DX efforts. One downside to the strict rules is it does not encourage manufacturers to develop and implement newer technologies. Perhaps some one will set up a group for the advanced technology small portable radios.

Neil Bell
KJ6FBA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "R. Mark Barnett" <orgelkraft@...> wrote:

I propose an ultralight class that INCLUDES SSB. WHY? As someone who USES SSB and would like to see it on ALL radios with SW bands. SSB has uses on MW as well. A group that is LOOKING for low-end radios with SSB will cause BETTER radios to be built overall. I would like to buy a cheap DSP radio with SSB... but where are they? A feature that is included can be ignored MUCH easier than adding it after the fact. 
GET SWABBED!!! Save a Life by becoming a bone marrow donor. A child near YOU is DYING for a transplant!  http://www.dkmsamericas.org/  Organize a Bone Marrow Donor Drive in YOUR Town or Church!

Kevin Schanilec

Thanks Neil, as well as to others who have contributed to this email string. As you say, the definitions of what constitutes an Ultralight radio indeed went through quite a process to create them, and a slight revision that also took a lot of time and care. At all junctures of the process, SSB has consistently been considered outside the scope of this particular niche of the hobby.

Asking for the inclusion of something like SSB here is perhaps like asking a QRP group to go above 5 watts. I like this quote from a QRP site: "Take away power, and you are left with skill, inventiveness, challenge, and enthusiasm that are very similar to the attractions of the hobby in its earliest days". That is exactly what we are also seeking to cultivate, and I appreciate that so many (we're over a thousand members now) are able to accept that those are the "ground rules" upon which we operate.

Alas, I doubt that this Group has enough clout, such that precluding SSB from the definitions has any influence over whether or not manufacturers include it on new radios. Tecsun and others apparently don't heed our recurring pleas for less soft-mute, decent ferrites, or other design changes that would be very inexpensive to change for the better. My guess is that the target demographic for manufacturers, the casual listener in Asia, does not want/need SSB, synch or other such features, which is why we aren't seeing them on new models.

Thanks - Kevin S

--- In ultralightdx@..., "neilkj6fba" <kj6fba@...> wrote:

The founders of this group decided on a strict set of rules and the group has certainly done well. These rules are very unlikely to be modified and that is clearly their right. I respect their right to have rules and enforce them rigidly. I also enjoy reading the experimentation they are doing with antennas attached to the ULRs.

Like a number of people, I am a long time radio fan and regularly use SSB, passband tuning, ECSS and the like in my DX efforts. One downside to the strict rules is it does not encourage manufacturers to develop and implement newer technologies. Perhaps some one will set up a group for the advanced technology small portable radios.

Neil Bell
KJ6FBA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "R. Mark Barnett" <orgelkraft@> wrote:

GET SWABBED!!! Save a Life by becoming a bone marrow donor. A child near YOU is DYING for a transplant!  http://www.dkmsamericas.org/  Organize a Bone Marrow Donor Drive in YOUR Town or Church!