Not Beach Loggings, But...

Kirk

Hi Gang,

Gary, I really enjoyed the posting about MW DXing from the North American ocean beaches! That's just a pipe-dream for us landlocked DXers of Oklahoma. Of course I don't have any TA or TP loggings to report this morning, but I did luck into TWO new stations in less than an hour this morning after work, both on the productive frequency of 1340 khz!

1340, KRHC, Burnet, Texas, 1101 UTC, 7/1/11, tuned in to one of the Texas News Newtworks w/ nx headlines. Hrd a quick call letter ID and some talk, but soon lost to the station below. I called the station, and they confirmed I was hearing them. ULR Sta #764.

1340, KDTD, Kansas City, KS, 1111 UTC, 7/1/11, Suddenly covered KRHC w/ back to back ranchera mx. All SS pgm'g w/ call ltr ID and "La Gran D" slogans hrd (which sounds just like "La Grande" of course.) Been trying for this one for around a year now. ULR Sta #765.

Wow, this was a nice surprise this morning for sure. My 4 day weekend has certainly started on a positive note! Logged these stations on my Sony T-615 rcvr w/ a SAT antenna. Incidentally, these stations were the 17th and 18th stations hrd on 1340 khz! I believe that's my most productive freq out of them all.

Wishing good DX to all and 73!

Kirk Allen
Ponca City, OK

Gary DeBock

Hello Kirk,

Congratulations on your two new loggings of 1340-KRHC and 1340-KDTD
this morning on the SRF-T615! It's always amazing to hear what that tiny radio can pull in on the Graveyard frequencies-- just look what
Rob has done with it in Ontario. That Japanese-market model is an
Undertaker's dream!

The Graveyards are pretty dead here on the West Coast, though, and not
even the SRF-T615 can dig up many new loggings. Weaker signals get
buried under the morbid chatter of the West Coast locals, and Sunset
Skip dies out early with only the ocean to the west. TP-DXing provides
a quick resurrection of hobby excitement, though.

73, Gary

[...]

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Excuse my ignorance, but what are "graveyards" in uldx-speak?

Michael UK

From: D1028Gary@...

The Graveyards are pretty dead here on the West Coast, though, and not
even the SRF-T615 can dig up many new loggings.

Jeffrey Fritz <jnfritz07@...>

If I may--a slight correction.

I worked as a Chief Engineer at two "graveyard frequency" stations. Unless the FCC has made a rule change, AM nighttime power (roughly dusk to dawn) on the "graveyard" frequencies is limited to 250 watts non-directional. The 1 KW limit non-directional is allowed only during daylight (dawn to dusk) hours.

So if you are a "graveyard" frequency fan, you are really listening to some low powered, non-directional AM stations at night.

Jeff

robert ross

On 02/07/2011 9:48 AM, Jeffrey Fritz wrote:

If I may--a slight correction.

I worked as a Chief Engineer at two "graveyard frequency" stations. Unless the FCC has made a rule change, AM nighttime power (roughly dusk to dawn) on the "graveyard" frequencies is limited to 250 watts non-directional. The 1 KW limit non-directional is allowed only during daylight (dawn to dusk) hours.

So if you are a "graveyard" frequency fan, you are really listening to some low powered, non-directional AM stations at night.

Jeff

Hi Jeff:

  Nope...it's 1 KW around the clock now!!! been that way for many years!!

Regards........ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Jeffrey Fritz <jnfritz07@...>

Robert is generally correct about the "Graveyard" nighttime power limit increase to 1 KW. (Thanks for correcting my correction, Robert!) FCC rule changes did indeed raise the nighttime power limit to 1,000 watts for most, but not all Class C (formerly Class IV) stations.

This isn't completely across the board as there are exceptions for some Class C stations. To quote FCC § 73.182 - Engineering standards of allocation (Revised as of October 1, 2010):

"...stations under § 73.26(b) shall not be authorized to increase power to levels that would increase the nighttime interference-free limit of co-channel Class C stations in the conterminous United States... Such stations are normally protected to the daytime 0.5 mV/m contour. On local channels the separation required for the daytime protection shall also determine the nighttime separation...The actual nighttime (power) limitation will be calculated. For nighttime protection purposes, Class C stations in the 48 contiguous United States may assume that stations in Alaska, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands operating on 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450, and 1490 kHz are Class C stations."

Thanks again, Robert!

Jeff

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Gosh - I didn´t imagine graveyards would be so exciting; thanks, all, for the info!

Michael UK