Retread

qrpbear

I'm one of those old geezers that used to DX the AM broadcast band with an All American 5 back in my high school days in the late 50's. Reading about the results you guys have been having with these new radios whet my curiousity. Today I bought an SRF59 on closeout at a local drugstore along with a pack of batteries. Tried it out walking home and must say I was blown away by it. I have never heard an AM radio of its size with that much sheer performance. I cannot abide that dinky tuning knob and impossible to read dial so mine will be installed in a cigar box and outfitted with a fancy Pilot vernier dial. For any serious DX'ing I will have to take it on Safari to a nearby park. There is entirely too much signal loss and anthropomorphic noise in my concrete and steel building.

It will be very interesting to see what stations I can pick up here in Honolulu where everyone but locals are at least 2500 miles away!

73 es DX,

'Bear' NH7SR

robert ross

On 19/05/2011 6:39 PM, qrpbear wrote:

[...]

Hello Bear:

    Welcome to the ULR Group!!! You may very well be our first member from HAWAII!!! You are in an IDEAL SPOT to hear a lot of Wild DX from all directions!!! You will be happy with the SRF-59...it is an amazing little DX Magnet. It's the Radio I started ULR DXing with in JAN 2008. I have now switched over to mainly using an SRF-T615 (Have 3 of these little Buggers)!!! I logged over 300 Stations in the first 30 Days of ULR DXing...using the SRF-59. After 3 Years I am sitting at 929 Stations heard on a ULR!! So..the sky is the limit.....as long as you devote time and effort to DXing with ULRs. Many of the list members have proven that distances of 5000 Miles Plus are VERY POSSIBLE with ULRs...and your location with WATER EVERYWHERE...should prove interesting!!

Let us know what you hear...we can hardly wait!!!

Have Fun with the ULRs.....and again, welcome to the Group!!!

73......ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross        (For the ULR AWARDS Committee)
London, Ontario CANADA

qrpbear

Robert,

Thanks for the welcome. DXing is going to be a bit of challenge here. I have 19 local AM broadcast stations within a 20 mile radius of me! I don't believe any of them are required to observe day/night power variation or quiet hours. Fortunately the SRF59 has a very deep null. Digging through my junkbox I found a 4.5" ferrite core that I rescued from an old radio may years ago. I will probably use that to make a tuned passive coupler. I'm more inclined to believe I need more in the way of interference rejection than in added sensitivity.

73,

'Bear' NH7SR

robert ross

On 19/05/2011 8:31 PM, qrpbear wrote:

Robert,

Thanks for the welcome. DXing is going to be a bit of challenge here. I have 19 local AM broadcast stations within a 20 mile radius of me!
73,

'Bear' NH7SR

Wow....19 Locals.....that's as bad as New York City!!! I take it you are in Honolulu??? I have 3 Locals here...and think I'm hard done by!! HAHHAHAA....

73....ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Albert

Welcome Bear, Have been to Maui twice in the last couple of years. Cant wait to get back and do a little ULDXing there.

Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "qrpbear" <qrpbear@...> wrote:

[...]

skpounds14 <skpounds14@...>

Someone at Amazon.com mentioned for $10 more than the SRF59 there was a Sony model that had digital tuning. Anyone know which model that might be?

Also I'd like to go to sleep with the radio at night and need some small speakers to hook up to the radio. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

[...]

Kevin Schanilec

Hi Keith:

The digital Sony model is probably the SRF-M37W. It is fairly sensitive and has great sound through headphones (IMHO), but it has quite broad selectivity and issues with images, so not necessarily the best Ultralight for urban areas. However, Allen Willie in Newfoundland exclusively uses one, and has heard a jaw-dropping amount of DX with it. It is covered in the Shootouts and Gallery in Folder 1 - Start Here" in the Files section here on the Group.

As for speakers, I have found many little add-on speakers are quite noisy, either because they have a wall adapter that gives off a lot of RF noise, or the component in the amplifier circuit are noisy. This includes speaker designed for computers. I found a little set of speakers with no amplifier - just the speakers - and they work pretty well. They will not fill a room with sound, but are serviceable, especially next to my head as I drift off. I don't believe the M37W or many other Ultralights have sleep timers, although the Tecsun PL-300/310/380 and others have a timer.

Hope this helps - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "skpounds14" <skpounds14@...> wrote:

Someone at Amazon.com mentioned for $10 more than the SRF59 there was a Sony model that had digital tuning. Anyone know which model that might be?

Also I'd like to go to sleep with the radio at night and need some small speakers to hook up to the radio. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

Stuart

--- In ultralightdx@..., "skpounds14" <skpounds14@...> wrote:

Also I'd like to go to sleep with the radio at night and need some small speakers to hook up to the radio. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith, you might try out the smallest conventional, analog (not USB) powered computer speakers from Logitech; under $12 in Walmart here on the ConUS. They're dark gray-black, have an AC cord that leads directly into the left speaker (no wall-wart) and have no hum when output from netbooks, ULRs and my ATS-909. They feel solid, sound very good to me and are inexpensive and uncomplicated.

Stu M.

skpounds14 <skpounds14@...>

Do you have a model number on the Logitechs? Walmart only has a $23 pair w/subwoofer on their website. Logitech's at Amazon.com - http://amzn.to/iYfPcJ

Thx,
Keith

Keith, you might try out the smallest conventional, analog (not USB) powered computer speakers from Logitech; under $12 in Walmart here on the ConUS. They're dark gray-black, have an AC cord that leads directly into the left speaker (no wall-wart) and have no hum when output from netbooks, ULRs and my ATS-909. They feel solid, sound very good to me and are inexpensive and uncomplicated.

Stu M.

Kevin Schanilec

Hi all:

I went on a computer speaker hunt, trying to find a decent-sounding, low-noise set-up. I purchased the Logitech S120 2.0 for about $22, which sounds great, but the wall wart (and internal electronics?) RF noise/buzzing made it profoundly unusable for AM listening. So, unless you only listen to FM, I would steer clear of that unit. My daughter was glad to take it off my hands for her laptop, though :-)

I finally found a set-up in a thrift store that runs on 12 VDC, which I feed with a small power supply, and it works great. It's a Cambridge PCWorks unit:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-SoundWorks-PCWorks-Multimedia-Computer/dp/B000068PJG
It's been discontinued, but I see them frequently on eBay. I would imagine that there are other units that run off of about 12 VDC that would work as well.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "skpounds14" <skpounds14@...> wrote:

Do you have a model number on the Logitechs? Walmart only has a $23 pair w/subwoofer on their website. Logitech's at Amazon.com - http://amzn.to/iYfPcJ

Thx,
Keith

Keith, you might try out the smallest conventional, analog (not USB) powered computer speakers from Logitech; under $12 in Walmart here on the ConUS. They're dark gray-black, have an AC cord that leads directly into the left speaker (no wall-wart) and have no hum when output from netbooks, ULRs and my ATS-909. They feel solid, sound very good to me and are inexpensive and uncomplicated.

Stu M.

Kevin Schanilec

Sorry, it was the Logitech S220 2.1 that made all the buzzing noise.

Kevin

--- In ultralightdx@..., "dhsatyadhana" <dhsatyadhana@...> wrote:

[...]

Listening to Logitech S-120's. (P/N 880-000065) right now, quieter than anything I've ever used. No wallwart, 100mA draw, too. Good luck.

Stu M.