New Sangean DT-400W

Albert

Just delivered from UPS. First impression, I like it very much.

Will work DX tonight vs the PL-310 which I now have 36 stations log with in 5 days. I could have more but put my limits out to 60 miles form the QTH.

Too many radio,s, not enough ears. Darn what a shame! :-)

Having fun.

Big Al

Jay <jaypolicow@...>

I like the DT-400W...seems to outperform my older DT-220V overall.

Jay

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@...> wrote:

Just delivered from UPS. First impression, I like it very much.

Will work DX tonight vs the PL-310 which I now have 36 stations log with in 5 days. I could have more but put my limits out to 60 miles form the QTH.

Too many radio,s, not enough ears. Darn what a shame! :-)

Having fun.

Big Al

Albert

Yes, seems like a darn good Ultra light, and it holds it own with the PL-310. It is a true UL radio, I think the PL-310 is pushing the envelope a little on being a UL, or it just barely fits in the class.

I think we had a good opening last night here near St.Louis. I added 5 more stations last night and could have had more but was to tired. Every 10 KC's there was a loud station playing! I was listening to the Cards and Phillies game on WPHT 1210 in Philadelphia.

Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Jay" <jaypolicow@...> wrote:

I like the DT-400W...seems to outperform my older DT-220V overall.

Jay

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:

Just delivered from UPS. First impression, I like it very much.

Will work DX tonight vs the PL-310 which I now have 36 stations log with in 5 days. I could have more but put my limits out to 60 miles form the QTH.

Too many radio,s, not enough ears. Darn what a shame! :-)

Having fun.

Big Al

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

As you go along, you will probably find that the Sangean's selectivity isn't as good as many of the other ULR's, including the SRF-59. I have a DT200vx, an SRF59 and two G8's. I use the Sangean mostly for spotting for the SRF59 or another larger analog tuning portable because of that.

Russ Edmunds
15 mi NNW of Philadelphia
Grid FN20id

FM: Yamaha T-80 & Onkyo T-450RDS w/ APS9B @15'; Grundig G8
AM:  Modified Sony ICF 2010's barefoot

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Jay" wrote:

> I like the DT-400W...seems to outperform my older DT-220V overall.
>
> Jay
>
> --- In ultralightdx@..., "Albert" wrote:
> >
> > Just delivered from UPS. First impression, I like it very much.
> >
> > Will work DX tonight vs the PL-310 which I now have 36 stations log with in 5 days. I could have more but put my limits out to 60 miles form the QTH.
> >
> > Too many radio,s, not enough ears. Darn what a shame! :-)
> >
> > Having fun.
> >
> > Big Al

John Cereghin <jcereghin@...>

I have to agree with Russ.  I am rather disappointed in my 400 and gave it to my son to listen to his Orioles games.  Maybe I have a bad model, but my DT-200VX is better, certainly when it comes to selectivity on AM.

<wb2bjh@...>

--
John Cereghin WDX3IAO  KB3LYP
Smyrna, Delaware

Albert

Have not noticed that problem yet, but selectivity is one of the DT-400 lowest attributes according to Gary's reviews. I took that into account as a weakness when purchasing it.

But like I said have not notice bad cross channel interference. It blows the doors of my Sony SRF-M37V and the SRF-49 in that respect. I will watch for this and compare it to the SRF-59 and PL-310 in the next few evenings.

I must confess at the moment I an thrilled with it, it is the least tiring radio of the whole bunch.

Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@...<http://mc/compose?to=ultralightdx%40yahoogroups.com>,

"Albert" <aherb62@> wrote:

Just delivered from UPS. First impression, I like it very much.

Will work DX tonight vs the PL-310 which I now have 36 stations log
with in 5 days. I could have more but put my limits out to 60 miles form the
QTH.

Too many radio,s, not enough ears. Darn what a shame! :-)

Having fun.

Big Al

--
John Cereghin WDX3IAO KB3LYP
Smyrna, Delaware
My radio page http://wdx3iao.wordpress.com/ (please note NEW site!)
The Ultralight Scoreboard www.pilgrimway.org/ulradio

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Please note that it is sacrilege to suggest
any uldx could be superior to the SRF-59 :-)

Digital display : uuuugh! Cranial interpolation
fosters longevity...

The only EMP-and-future-proof uldx rx will
be a homebrew tube-job... So informed
by a TV documentary on the presidential
eschatalogical Boeing which eschews digital
in favo(u)r of resiliant analog...

Any designs out there?

MiG 25s had it.

Michael UK

From: "Albert"

. . .
It blows the doors of my Sony SRF-M37V and the SRF-49 in that respect.
I will watch for this and compare it to the SRF-59 and PL-310 in the next few evenings.

Big Al N0CEK

ginger_92@rocketmail.com

Hey Albert, I see you are from or live in the ST Louis area, me too. Webster Groves, Affton, Maplewood, ST Louis city, Cahokia on the other side. Anyway, I'm ordering a SRF-59 to see how good these little baby's are, very curious. I just got a Kaito WRX911 and am extremely pleased with all it does for the size, check out the reviews. I also see you worked for McDonald Douglas/Boeing, have many friends who worked there, I worked at Fenton Chrysler for 16 years, now bulldozed. Have fun with your new toy's!!

Ginger OKC

[...]

Gary Kinsman

I like my DT-400W too, Jay. It's not nearly as sensitive or selective as my PL-380, but then again, it doesn't have phantom hets all over the MW band. It's a very "clean" receiver, as many of the Sangean designs are, including the larger ones like the PR-D7 and PR-D5. Also, it's quite small compared to the PL-380.

-Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Jay" <jaypolicow@...> wrote:

I like the DT-400W...seems to outperform my older DT-220V overall.

Jay

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Guess I have to give in :-) I only have a SRF-59, G8 and a PL-380 in the uldx range
and am rather fond of the cuteness and sensitivity of the SRF-59. It smiles smugly next to my
ancient
Barlow-Wadley on the shelf... Its lower sensitivity than the DT-400W is presumably due to the
shorter internal ferrite antenna. Inductively coupling a longer tuned rod makes a big difference, of
course.

Apropos : Things seem to have gone quiet on the ferrite front.
Any new or improved designs in process?

Michael UK - true Brit, ex9Q5TS, admirer of the F-15 and the Harrier, nostalgic for tubes, oops :
valves :-)

----- Original
Message --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------

From: "Albert"

[...]

;-)

I thought you UK blokes called tubes valves? Hum, maybe hes not a Brit.

This is all meant in fun, what the heck Armageddon is going to start on Saturday anyway.

Best 73's
Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Michael" <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:

Please note that it is sacrilege to suggest
any uldx could be superior to the SRF-59 :-)

Digital display : uuuugh! Cranial interpolation
fosters longevity...

The only EMP-and-future-proof uldx rx will
be a homebrew tube-job... So informed
by a TV documentary on the presidential
eschatalogical Boeing which eschews digital
in favo(u)r of resiliant analog...

Any designs out there?

MiG 25s had it.

Michael UK

Albert

Hi Ginger, nice to make your acquittance. you can get the SRF-59 at K-Mart for 14.95. It is a very good little radio and you will catch a lot of DX with it. The Kaito looks like a good one, a lot of the Chinese radio's are marketed by Kaito.

Live near OFallon, Mo.

Best 73's
Big Al N0CEK

Paul V Birke PEng <nonlinear@...>

Guess I have to give in :-) I only have a SRF-59, G8 and a PL-380 in the uldx range
and am rather fond of the cuteness and sensitivity of the SRF-59. It smiles smugly next to my
ancient
Barlow-Wadley on the shelf... It´s lower sensitivity than the DT-400W is presumably due to the
shorter internal ferrite antenna. Inductively coupling a longer tuned rod makes a big difference, of
course.

Apropos : Things seem to have gone quiet on the ferrite front.
Any new or improved designs in process?

Indeed, have the flat ferrites now (100mm*3mm*20mm) but looking for a large diameter plastic tube dia => 12" to about 20".

This follows directly from Steve's assertion that a large diameter is needed following his experimental evidence posted in this group.

Will place ferrites on each end and wind the contra-winding as per the Polydorroff patents and will be the ~ 1/4" off ferrite surface.

This is the kind of plastic form I am considering

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23849&catid=459

a grounded cage variable capacitor will be used to resonant.
pickup will be via a ~ 24" ferrite rod ( 3 * 8"by 1/2" dia 61 material Amidon0
this will have a contra-winding upon its surface (distance of wire to ferrite surface ~ 1/4")
The idea is that placing this rod in the centre the mutual coupling will be such that it is weak and therefore will not upset the Q of the main tuning circuit yet enough signal for a sensitive radio.

all I have for now Michael
best wishes
Paul in the Northern Colony
VE3PVB

Michael UK - true Brit, ex9Q5TS, admirer of the F-15 and the Harrier, nostalgic for tubes, oops :

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

Thanks for the update, Paul. I look forward to reading how it looks and performs.

Michael UK
---------
[...]

keith beesley

This is in reference to what Al said earlier in this thread.

I have to say, digital tuning makes finding stations easier; and the DSP-equipped Chinese radios really can pull in those weak signals (although I haven't had time to do any serious DXing in some time). But, for program listening, MW and SW just SOUND better on an analog radio. No electronic bloops and bleeps to contend with. I have three SRF-59's; paid full retail for one, the other two were 50c each at a yard sale ;-).

Good DX to all,

Keith Beesley
Seattle WA USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Michael" <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:

Thanks for the update, Paul. I look forward to reading how it looks and performs.

Michael UK

Albert

Fine business Keith, I find no fault with your thoughts on these subjects because basically they have been my experience also.

With the exception that the DT-400W is much more pleasant to listen too than the DSP-equipped radio's. It sounds more like a very strong analog radio with all the nice features of a digital radio. I think that is why the costly Sony SRF-T615 is so popular. By the way if you get a turkey radio, well you give it to one of your kids and go back to what works best, probably a trusty old SRF-XXX.

One of my favorite radio's is the very analog 1978 Panasonic RF 2200, of course it is an uber sized radio not an ULR. No freq counter on this baby!

Very Best 73's
Big Al N0CEK

--- In ultralightdx@..., "KeithB" <keith1226@...> wrote:

This is in reference to what Al said earlier in this thread.

I have to say, digital tuning makes finding stations easier; and the DSP-equipped Chinese radios really can pull in those weak signals (although I haven't had time to do any serious DXing in some time). But, for program listening, MW and SW just SOUND better on an analog radio. No electronic bloops and bleeps to contend with. I have three SRF-59's; paid full retail for one, the other two were 50c each at a yard sale ;-).

Good DX to all,

Keith Beesley
Seattle WA USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Michael" <michael.setaazul@> wrote:

Thanks for the update, Paul. I look forward to reading how it looks and performs.

Michael UK

Jay <jaypolicow@...>

They probably do vary a bit but I should also add that my particular one is also very hot on FM.

Jay