Chinese ulralight wish-list

Peter 1956

Hi all,

I am going to live in China for a while, so no need to get ultralights mail order and pay postage charges :-)

Which, in the humble opinion of members, are the very best ultralights for overall performance on FM and AM? (especially when connectivity of external antennas is taken into account, but price isn't).

Peter, now in Hong Kong...soon to be in China

Kevin Schanilec

Hi Peter:

First, we're all jealous that you are going to the Land of No Postage Fees!

But seriously, for MW, the PL-310 and PL-606 are the most sensitive, then the PL-380, then the PL-300WT, PL-360 and others pull up the rear. The first three all have variable selectivity, while the last two just have the 3 khz setting. The PL-380's advantage is that the "soft mute", the decrease in volume when you tune off-frequency, is quite subtle, cimpared to the quite noticeable loss in volume on the PL-310 and PL-606; so, you need to turn the volume up and down, or get used to the volume differences. So, there is a trade-off here. I hope the PL-325 (or whatever they might decide to call the next model number) has the bigger ferrite bar antenna AND no soft-mute!

For FM, the PL-300WT and PL310 are the most sensitive in stock form, with the PL-380 and PL-606 having shorter whip antennas, thus lesser sensitivity. However, the PL-606 comes with a clamp-on whip extension, allowing it to be the king of the hill, particularly on the lower end of the band. All of these have the same awesome selectivity of their common DSP chip. The PL-360 has a shorter, non-rotatable whip - not as good IMHO.

If you get interested in LW and/or beacons, all would need serious sensitivity help from an external antenna on the LW frequencies, and the preference is the PL-380 since it does not have the soft-mute issue.

For SW, the PL-300WT is very susceptible to overloads from local MW stations, while the others seem to perform very well; they don't have synchronous detection to control fades, but off-tuning the same number of khz as the filter is a pretty good stretegy, since it isolates one sideband or the other.

All things considered, I would recomend the PL-310 and ride the volume control a bit as needed to compensate for the soft-mute.

Hope this helps - Kevin S

--- In ultralightdx@..., "pe1etr" <pe1etr@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am going to live in China for a while, so no need to get ultralights mail order and pay postage charges :-)

Which, in the humble opinion of members, are the very best ultralights for overall performance on FM and AM? (especially when connectivity of external antennas is taken into account, but price isn't).

Peter, now in Hong Kong...soon to be in China

bbwrwy

My recommendation would be the PL-310 followed in succession by the PL-606, then PL-380. Enjoy you stay in the PRC, and good DX-ing.

Richard.

Richard Allen,
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)

d4g7johnson

I would dis-recommend the Redsun RP300 for most people, but if you
can pick it up for a song it does have one good point: it is at least
as sensitive on AM-BCB as the Eton E100, and it is almost exactly the
same size (maybe 2 good points). I have not noticed any overload, but
the con list is significant: (1) not very selective on any band and worst is (2) there are WAY too many internally-generated heterodynes
in the AM and SW bands. I find it amusing that one of them lands
squarely on top of China Radio International in the 31m band.

--- In ultralightdx@..., "pe1etr" <pe1etr@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am going to live in China for a while, so no need to get ultralights mail order and pay postage charges :-)

Which, in the humble opinion of members, are the very best ultralights for overall performance on FM and AM? (especially when connectivity of external antennas is taken into account, but price isn't).

Peter, now in Hong Kong...soon to be in China

Kevin Schanilec

Hi Vince:

Thanks for the info on the domestic Chinese market, where it sounds like the PL-310 and others are going for $50-60 (over 300 Yuan) or so in Beijing. I guess in-city prices are like that: I was in New York City recently, and the prices for radios at electronics outlets were also much higher than from domestic mail order sources. Given the relative per-capita income levels of the US and China, a radio such as this is likely a more significant purchase.

It looks like the PL-310 can be had for about 200 Yuan on Taobao (about $30) including domestic shipping to a Chinese address, although you don't get to see it first: do Taobao sellers also sell seconds and knock-offs?

Thanks again - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "DXer" <dxista@...> wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I'm currently living in Beijing, China. My experience with consumer electronics in general and ultralights in particular, is that you are still paying less on ebay - in some cases even after postage is added, than buying the same item in the chinese domestic market.

Prices are generally lower, if you have good bargaining skills, in the many markets around town, but there is a chance that you are buying "knock-offs" or "seconds".

The other surprise for me was that, ultralights in this case, are not as easy to find as I expected.

I saw the PL-310 and PL-606 in only one place so far. The price was higher than ebay plus postage. The PL-600 in two places with the price higher than ebay before postage.

The only deals, so to speak, were the R-911 for $10 and the R-9012 for $13. Not too impressed with the R-911, but still worth every penny. If one can afford the additional 30% :^) for the R-9012, you get a radio than run circles around the R-911.

The above comparisons are based on US/Canada prices. I don't know if they apply to other countries.

Regards,

Vince
Beijing, PRC

--- In ultralightdx@..., "dhsatyadhana" <dhsatyadhana@> wrote:

First, we're all jealous that you are going to the Land of No Postage Fees!

Gary DeBock

Hello Vince, Kevin and Others,

The Chinese domestic market seems to include both bargains and ripoffs,
just like here in North America.

My wife comes very a very thrifty family in Hong Kong, and when I told
her that I could use a few bargain Tecsun PL-380's, she sent out her
relatives to track down the best PL-380 deals in Hong Kong. Her
brother-in-law scoured the stores, and eventually was able to find
brand new PL-380 models selling at a discount shop for about $35 US. He
bought three of them, and brought them to us during his spring vacation
last year (and are now being used by Patrick, Rob and Steve). The going
rate at the Hong Kong department stores was about $45 US, though.

My impression is that most of the Hong Kong eBay sellers try to make
their biggest profits on the shipping charges, not on the radio prices.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Thanks for the info on the domestic Chinese market, where it sounds
like the PL-310 and others are going for $50-60 (over 300 Yuan) or so
in Beijing. I guess in-city prices are like that: I was in New York
City recently, and the prices for radios at electronics outlets were
also much higher than from domestic mail order sources. Given the
relative per-capita income levels of the US and China, a radio such as
this is likely a more significant purchase.

It looks like the PL-310 can be had for about 200 Yuan on Taobao (about
$30) including domestic shipping to a Chinese address, although you
don't get to see it first: do Taobao sellers also sell seconds and
knock-offs?

Thanks again - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "DXer" <dxista@...> wrote:

Hi Kevin,
&gt; I'm currently living in Beijing, China. My experience with
consumer electronics in general and ultralights in particular, is that
you are still paying less on ebay - in some cases even after postage is
added, than buying the same item in the chinese domestic market.

Prices are generally lower, if you have good bargaining skills, in
the many markets around town, but there is a chance that you are buying
"knock-offs" or "seconds".

The other surprise for me was that, ultralights in this case, are
not as easy to find as I expected.

I saw the PL-310 and PL-606 in only one place so far. The price
was higher than ebay plus postage. The PL-600 in two places with the
price higher than ebay before postage.
&gt;
The only deals, so to speak, were the R-911 for $10 and the R-9012
for $13. Not too impressed with the R-911, but still worth every penny.
If one can afford the additional 30% :^) for the R-9012, you get a
radio than run circles around the R-911.

The above comparisons are based on US/Canada prices. I don't know
if they apply to other countries.
&gt; Regards,

Vince
Beijing, PRC

--- In ultralightdx@..., "dhsatyadhana"
<dhsatyadhana@> wrote:
&gt; > First, we're all jealous that you are going to the Land of No
Postage Fees!

Peter 1956

Hello all,

I have established why purchase prices of Chinese radios seem higher in China than on ebay. In China purchases attact sales tax. In Hong Kong there is no sales tax, hence the e.bay sellers are selling at a "tax free" price from Hong Kong.

Chinese radios made in Shenzhen are actually cheaper in Hong Kong than in Shenzhen! I am now in Shenzhen- I should have gone electronics shopping in Hong Kong! (Local people here in Shenzhen go shopping for electronics in neighbouring Hong Kong)

Peter, China

--- In ultralightdx@..., "DXer" <dxista@...> wrote:

Hi Gary,

That's likely the case. One has to shop around or check feedback if purchasing on-line.

I was in Hong-Kong recently and had planned to go on an electronics shopping expedition the last afternoon there. I was too tired playing the tourist, it was a family vacation, and changed my mind after cooling down back at the hotel. Looks like it was a good decision.

Regards,

Vince.