The new Tecsun PL660 on MW with magnetic loop

sarmento2k

Hi,

I'm not sure if the new Tecsun  PL660 is considered an ultra light receiver, but I have made minor changes in my magnetic loop antenna for MW, and I have made some tests comparing it  to a loop square of 80 centimeters (length of side), and the results are very similar

The PL660 is small and offers good performance for its size and class, and it's an opportunity to test its performance on MW using loop antennas, specially small ones like this as we can get it everywhere to make a mini on man dx-camp.

Using a Tecsun PL660 to make a band scan on the x-band, I have listened to Argentine stations all over the channels, starting on 1610 kHz up to 1700 kHz.

I posted a video on Youtube to show the difference of the performance of the internal antenna and the ferrite loop.

The videos links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2DyOkXLxjk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm_GRkTaU6U

Regards

Sarmento Campos – Rio de Janeiro

ef.johnson <ef.johnson@...>

These Tecsun receivers are a lot of fun and Anon has this one for 85.00 which is a great price for the features. At 7.2" it's a little big, and it has some advanced features such as SSB capability. That puts it in the same category as the G6, ie. a lot of fun, reasonable price, but not a true ultralight due to enthusiast features. Have you opened it up to measure the size of the internal loopstick?

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "Sarmento" <sarmento.campos@...> wrote:

[...]

Pollock,Raphael E <rpollock@...>

Dear Sarmento: Thank you very much for the Youtube video. I am wondering if you have a feel for the effectiveness of the synch function on the PL 660?

Raphael

[...]

Thanks for your info about the ultralight. You gave a good idea do open it to check the loopstick.

I am also very pleased with Tecsun PL380 and its performance with small loops, now it belongs to my luggage to everywhere I go.

Regards
Sarmento

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "ef.johnson" <ef.johnson@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Raphael

I have also tested the PL660 against the Sangean ATS909 and I focused specific on the synch mode.

And it really works, specially to attenuate interference from adjacent stations.

I have posted more videos to demonstrate its performance on field, although I faced a minor electric noise on higher frequencies, but I think the demo is ok.

It is not a fraction of the sycnh of the legend Sony 2010 when working MW, but it's very similar to that of Sony 7600GR, not so good, but it is really effective when used together with the narrow filter.

For fading or faint signals, the 7600GR is better.

Please, access the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V64d_cuRIJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF4KBwyIxMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4vv-lI94dI

I made good catches like Philippines, Iran and other countries, using just a piece of wire as you can see.

Sarmento

[...]

Thanks Sarmento. I like the appearance of the 660. I have the 380 and 390. The 390 is my work horse radio for travelling and bedside listening due to the larger ferrite bar antenna. I have been using the Grundig Satellit 750 for most of my MW Dxing work as well as for ferrite bar antenna experimenting. As always, I enjoy your emails and videos. One question I have always wondered about, having visited your wonderful city several times, is whether you can easily hear Africa on MW from the beaches at Ipanema or elsewhere in Rio? It is a relatively short trans-Atlantic distance to the West coast of Africa from Rio…

Best regards;

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Pollock,Raphael E" wrote:

> [...]

Well, first of all when you come back to Rio, please tell me in advance, I will show you some wonderful places for a dxing and have some "dx-caipirinhas". (*)

As a matter of fact, it's possible to catch transoceanic signal on MW specially from Asia, Middle East and Africa, just using directional antennas to attenuate the local strong transmitters. We have lots of 100 / 150 / 200 Kwatts stations nearby.

But we have a special beach near from downtown, that is perfectly aligned with Africa.

You can see it using this link, look for "Marica" and you will observe its east-west orientation, that is unique in Rio de Janeiro. And its quite simple, just stretch the wire over the sand that direction is ok.

http://www.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Rio+de+Janeiro,+Brazil&ll=-22.40595,-42.797241&spn=2.945241,4.938354&t=h&z=8

At this beach is simple to use a mini-beverage 160 m or 200 meters length over the sand, just connecting the front to the ground using a standard copper rod buried. This way we can attenuate backward transmitters and receive strong transoceanic signals.

In Copacabana and Ipanema its also possible to listen to 1.503 kHz for instance, during gray line with only the internal loopstick of a Sangean ATS909 ou Sony 2010 when propagation is wide open to the east.

Some years ago, Angola and Botswana were easy catches before they shutdown, and today, Jedah and Riyadh  (Saudi Arab 1.512 and 1521 kHz) are my main beacons to check if propagation is really open, if so, lots of emissions from Dubai,

With a loop square of 80 cm (length of side) is possible to listen to transoceanic stations, but the main concern is that local transmitter are located right back (west-east) so nulling is not possible on some frequencies.

Spain is also a possibility, like 684 kHz, but we have a local pest on this frequency that is very hard to null, only a well tuned mini-beverage can get Spain.

France Info on 1.557 kHz with 300 Kwatt is also heard during gray line and then, after 0300 UTC depending on the season.

Some old and present catches on :

http://www.sarmento.eng.br/MW.htm

Regards

Sarmento

(*) famous Brazilian drink adapted to RF by Rocco Cotroneo

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Pollock,Raphael E" wrote:

> Thanks Sarmento. I like the appearance of the 660. I have the 380 and 390. The 390 is my work horse radio for travelling and bedside listening due to the larger ferrite bar antenna. I have been using the Grundig Satellit 750 for most of my MW Dxing work as well as for ferrite bar antenna experimenting. As always, I enjoy your emails and videos. One question I have always wondered about, having visited your wonderful city several times, is whether you can easily hear Africa on MW from the beaches at Ipanema or elsewhere in Rio? It is a relatively short trans-Atlantic distance to the West coast of Africa from Rio...
>
> Best regards;
>
> Raphael

Thanks for this  reply Sarmento!  I took the liberty of looking at your blog site as well—very interesting reading! I will be sure to take you up on your generous offers when I am next in Brazil—I will send you advance warning. Likewise if you are ever in Houston I would be delighted to meet with you!!!