SONY SRF-T615 ......Is it on the way out????????

robert ross

Hi Guys:

I ordered another SONY SRF-T615 on Jan/08 from AUDIO CUBES II in JAPAN. They are really the only dependable supplier of this ULR that I am aware of. As of today, Jan/26...........18 Days Later....The radio has not been shipped. It is still in the "Order Processed" Stage. I emailed them to see what's happening and they said they believed it was "On the way to their Warehouse now". That implies that they perhaps are not Stocking the Radio any longer...and maybe it is getting tough to find even in JAPAN????

I still have faith that Audio Cubes will be able to deliver the radio...and I'm not in a Panic as I have 2 - T615's here already...but I just wanted to point out..that maybe the T615's days are numbered!! Maybe Audio Cubes can't just get their hands on them as easily as they used to!!!!

I seem to remember that Tony Kekalos??? from this list just ordered a T-615 from AUDIO CUBES II......and I think he said his took about a month for it to arrive in The USA!!! Looks like mine is gonna take that long too.

I'm glad I ordered this now.......and not a week after they're all gone!! HAHHAHHAHA.........

73.....ROB VA3SW

Antonios Kekalos <akekalos@...>

Ross and the group,

Yes, I did order mine from Audio Cubes II and it took just 3 days shy of one month exactly from the time I placed my order for mine to arrive. On a positive note, they did respond to each and every email I sent within 24 hours. So, lack of communication was not an issue.

--
Tony, N4RNI
Traverse City, MI

Not every conspiracy is a theory-AMC's Rubicon

Gary DeBock

Hi Rob, Tony and the Group,

Maybe you can relax a little, Rob-- I see that the Japanese eBay seller "joynetcafe" still has the Sony SRF-T615 available (for the outrageously inflated price of $145, plus $20 shipping).

Back in the day when the ULR group was just getting started (December 2007), the SRF-T615 cost from Audio Cubes was $92, plus shipping. That was the price for the radio reviewed in the 2008 Spring Shootout, which unfortunately caused a North American stampede for the model, driving the price into the stratosphere. I'll take full responsibility for that, but Rob's amazing DXing success with the model certainly poured some additional gasoline on the inferno :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 1/26/2011 10:57:45 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, akekalos@... writes:

[...]

Jay Heyl

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:42, Robert S.Ross VA3SW <va3sw@...> wrote:
That implies that they perhaps are not Stocking the Radio any longer...and maybe it is getting tough to find even in JAPAN????

My brother bought a T615 for me in November. Aside from having to take three trains, a taxi, and find someone in the giant electronics store who spoke English, he had no trouble finding it. The woman he spoke with tried to talk him into a newer model she said was better, but from other conversations here it was concluded this was likely a non-US model that will tune at 9kHz intervals only.

  -- Jay

Jay Heyl

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:12, <D1028Gary@...> wrote:

Back in the day when the ULR group was just getting started (December 2007), the SRF-T615 cost from Audio Cubes was $92, plus shipping. That was the price for the radio reviewed in the 2008 Spring Shootout, which unfortunately caused a North American stampede for the model, driving the price into the stratosphere. I'll take full responsibility for that, but Rob's amazing DXing success with the model certainly poured some additional gasoline on the inferno :-)

Not to take away from your mojo on this, but I think the Yen/US$ exchange rate likely has more to do with the price increase than the stampede of orders. The Yen is up about 38% against the US$ since December 2007. It doesn't explain all of the price increase, but it does explain most of it.

If you know someone in Japan or someone who travels to Japan (and is willing to travel to the electronics district in Tokyo), they can get a T615 for less than $100.

  -- Jay

robert ross

On 26/01/2011 2:12 PM, D1028Gary@... wrote:

Hi Rob, Tony and the Group,

Maybe you can relax a little, Rob-- I see that the Japanese eBay seller "joynetcafe" still has the Sony SRF-T615 available (for the outrageously inflated price of $145, plus $20 shipping).

Back in the day when the ULR group was just getting started (December 2007), the SRF-T615 cost from Audio Cubes was $92, plus shipping. That was the price for the radio reviewed in the 2008 Spring Shootout, which unfortunately caused a North American stampede for the model, driving the price into the stratosphere. I'll take full responsibility for that, but Rob's amazing DXing success with the model certainly poured some additional gasoline on the inferno :-)

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

Yeah Gary...I'm not real worried ....just wondering if maybe they aren't as plentiful over there as they once were??? Once this one arrives...that will be 3,  T-615's in my house...and we only have 2 Bathrooms in our home.........Does this mean I'll have to build another Bathroom??? HAHHAHAHA.......

I'm just watching CNN and I see that the East Coast is getting another PILE O' SNOW!!!! Better them than me!!! HAHHAHHAA...I've been Retired 1 week now...and it seems all I have done is SHOVEL SNOW for the last 7 Days!!! Today's the first day I didn't have to Shovel or Snow Blow in quite a while!! May be a good night to check for AM'ers on Emergency Status later tonight?????

Salute.................ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Michael <michael.setaazul@...>

How soothing to know there are names we can blame for the dearth
of affordable T615 availability :-) East of the pond you are still
our friend, Gary, as, forsooth, we do not have the same access options.

I am blissful with my SRF-95 with an icf2010 as spotter.

US talk-stations are far more informative and/or entertaining
than the paltry offerings here.

Confession : when I find a station on AM nocturnally
from under the duvet which offers intelligent debate,
I look for it - shame, shame - online...

Preparing to walk the uldx plank*,

Michael UK

* hope you all know what this means !

On 26/01/2011 2:31 PM, Jay Heyl wrote:

[...]

Well....If Audio Cubes doesn't get my Radio on the boat soon.....I may have to Drive over there and pick it up myself!!!! HAHAHAHAA.........Hey the CANADIAN DOLLAR has been doing pretty good lately too and is ABOVE the US GREENBACK for the last week or so. Maybe they could give me a discount if I paid in CANADIAN Bucks instead of US $$$??????

73......ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

w2gjw <w2gjw@...>

--- In ultralightdx@..., "Robert S.Ross VA3SW" <va3sw@...> wrote:

Hi Guys:

I ordered another SONY SRF-T615 on Jan/08 from AUDIO CUBES II in
JAPAN. 73.....ROB VA3SW
Hi Rob,

As mentioned, I too just ordered a SRF-T615 on Monday from joynetcafe on ebay. I just received it this morning, (Friday)! That's super fast.

If you recall, I was the one that sold you a few ultralight radios sometime ago. I hope you're enjoying them!

73-
Gary
W2GJW

robert ross

On 28/01/2011 11:11 AM, w2gjw wrote:

Hi Rob,

As mentioned, I too just ordered a SRF-T615 on Monday from joynetcafe on ebay. I just received it this morning, (Friday)! That's super fast.

If you recall, I was the one that sold you a few ultralight radios sometime ago. I hope you're enjoying them!

73-
Gary
W2GJW

Hi Gary........WOW that is FAST SERVICE from JOYNET!!!!! Mine has been 20 Days and still hasn't left JAPAN!!! I'm not sure what's going on with AudioCubes......but I've never had this kind of Service from them, before!! I just sent another Email to them expressing my"Displeasure" with the Poor Service this time........we'll see if I can Rattle any chains or if they have just became a Company that doesn't care anymore!!??? My only guess is that they may be experiencing some difficulty obtaining the Radios???? If that's the case.....they should just let me know eh??? We'll see where this goes from here!!

Yes I do remember purchasing a few ULR's from you a while back Gary....they are all still in Service here...along with about 25 others!!!! (26 If the T615 ever gets here from JAPAN!!! HAHAHHAHA).

Thanks for the Info on Joynet....If I ever buy another one (I'm sure I'll need a 4th eventually!! HAHAHA)....looks like Joynet may be the way to go!!

Regards..................ROB VA3SW

Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA

Gary DeBock

Hi Rob and Gary,

My second SRF-T615 was purchased from "Joynetcafe" about a year ago, with excellent service. I can strongly recommend them (if you don't mind the steep price markups). Sorry about your bad experience with Audio Cubes 2, Rob-- maybe we should place them on the ULR group "blacklist?"

"Joynetcafe" has a very interesting selection of the latest in Made-in-Japan Sony Ultralight radios in their eBay store listing (at http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/Portable-Audio-Video-/15052/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_sac=1&_ssn=joynetcafe&_trksid=p3911.c0.m282 ), including an SRF-431 (at $155), an SRF-M807 (at $90), an ICF-R351 (at $135), and an ICF-RN931 (at $160). It's also quite possible that the price of these ultra-compact models in Japan would fall under the $100 limit for Ultralight radio qualification, if someone wishes to purchase one, and test it out.

"Joynetcafe" also have a couple of reworked (or upgraded) Sony models in their store-- the SRF-S86 (the analog successor of the SRF-S84), and the SRF-M98 (the digital successor of the SRF-M97). Both of these previous models were reviewed in the 2008 Summertime Shootout.

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

In a message dated 1/28/2011 10:47:20 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, va3sw@... writes:

[...]

before!! > Robert S. Ross
London, Ontario CANADA
Robert,

It's nice to hear from you. While I haven't been active on any of these lists, I have been monitoring your posts as well as all the others here. Firstly, congrats on your impressive number of growing totals!! I think you've set the standard for everyone here. I'd also like tothank Gary DeBock for all his work on this list and in the ULR field!

Robert, I too had a bad experience with Audio Cubes II. I purchased my first SRFT-615 from them. Are you receiving replies to your emails? If not, and this happened to me, try using the contact form on their website to do your inquiries. I was told that my emails were going right into their spam folder and were being deleted. I never received a reply from them until I used the form.

In any event, I hope you'll soon receive your little Sony gem. I'm looking forward firing my new one up later this evening.

Take care for now.

73
Gary
NJ, USA
W2GJW

w2gjw <w2gjw@...>

Gary,

Yes, I also noticed that "JOYNETCAFE" had several interesting ULR types available. I would enjoy knowing how they compare to the more common types used by this group.

Perhaps in time I'll order another and give it a try.

73 & good DX!
Gary
W2GJW