Batteries and Corrosion

Brian Miller

Not necessarily on the ULR topic, but I wondered if someone here might be able to give me definitive information on the following:

I have acquired several radios since I first got into the DX hobby last February.

Most all of them, including superadios, RF-2200, ICF-2010 and others have batteries in them. I don't use them all on a daily or even weekly basis, but the batteries are still in them.

How long would it be before I should take the batteries out to avoid that nasty orange stuff to appear in the battery compartments?

Thanks -

Brian

Berkley, MI

seta <michael.setaazul@...>

Brian,

Play safe! If not in weekly use, take out the batteries !!!
Reinsert them when needed. Some will leak sooner, others later.
The very minor inconvenience is negligeable compared to damage
caused by leaking batteries.

Michael UK

Not necessarily on the ULR topic, but I wondered if someone here might be able to give me definitive information on the
following:

I have acquired several radios since I first got into the DX hobby last February.

Most all of them, including superadios, RF-2200, ICF-2010 and others have batteries in them. I don't use them all on a daily
or even weekly basis, but the batteries are still in them.

How long would it be before I should take the batteries out to avoid that nasty orange stuff to appear in the battery
compartments?

Thanks -

Brian

Berkley, MI

Phillip Fimiani

Ive already had to clean out my Sangean ATS909.... Take em out....

Best Regards

Phil

Not necessarily on the ULR topic, but I wondered if someone here might be able to give me definitive information on the following:

I have acquired several radios since I first got into the DX hobby last February.

Most all of them, including superadios, RF-2200, ICF-2010 and others have batteries in them. I don't use them all on a daily or even weekly basis, but the batteries are still in them.

How long would it be before I should take the batteries out to avoid that nasty orange stuff to appear in the battery compartments?

Thanks -

Brian

Berkley, MI

Peter Laws

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 14:25, seta <michael.setaazul@...> wrote:
Brian,

Play safe! If not in weekly use, take out the batteries !!!
Reinsert them when needed. Some will leak sooner, others later.
The very minor inconvenience is negligeable compared to damage
caused by leaking batteries.

Just had this happen recently in my Zenith 2000 (1960-vintage FM-AM).
FORTUNATELY, the folks in Chicago provided a plastic sleeve for the 8
D cells (yes, 8 D cells) so there was no damage to the radio itself.

This is what happens when you are a Cubs fan - we'd stopped listening
to night games on WGN in September and had put the radio aside ... :-)

seta <michael.setaazul@...>

Peter, enshrine and coset your Zenith and you are re-habilitated!
I remember mistily cleaning the contacts more than once on a
Zenith owned - envy, envy - by a friend!

Michael UK