ferrite antennas

terribly wet

(I posted this also in another group)

I know this is not buy/sell here but any suggestions as to a ferrite antenna and who sells them and any economical ?

C Crane..theirs ?? $99 ??? Any Good ?

(anybody have one ??)

It can be a miracle on AM BCB to reduce some signals to hear others.

My old Radio West Ferrite Loop sort of 'imploded'. (or exploded ?)

I was outside at about 4am and heard sounds in the house. I had the thing 'sitting on something'. I find the antenna in 50 million pieces. (hmmm..does ferrite get brittle with age ?)

o--nobody admits to anything... It's like somebody took a hammer to it)

I still wish to re-construct the thing if I had the 'ferrite values' of rods and got the time to study the 'inductor' over the rods and the pre-amp.

Ferrite antennas. Anybody market them besides C Crane ? or maybe theirs is wonderful ??

Here in Ultra-Light world do they all have to be matched to a specific radio ? (what is available)

Kevin Schanilec

Hi Gary:

Sorry to hear about the Radio West loop's demise: there are a couple options currently. The Twin Coil works pretty well, in my experience about the same as a much-cheaper Terk air-core loop (or its Grundig or Select-a-tenna equivalent). I did some tests in an article entitled "Comparing Small MW DXing Antennas.pdf", in "Folder 5. Antennas and Equipment" of the "Files" section here, if you want to see what I concluded. Both the Twin Coil and Terk Loop/similar are generally compatible will all portables, with the Twin Coil having an amplified output for a tabletop receiver.

Kevin S

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "terribly wet" <zz4@...> wrote:

[...]

Pollock,Raphael E <rpollock@...>

These are pretty easy to make--take a look at Youtube using the search term "ferrite rod antenna"--you will find several video examples. If you would like more specific plans/instructions email me (rpollock@...). The 19" unamplified ferrite rod antenna provides significantly more gain than my AN 200 or my Select-a-tenna, and has much sharper nulls than my homebrew 3' air core loop. It is much quieter than my Twin Coil. At 2 feet long x 2 inches diameter it is very transportable...

[...]

Gary Kinsman

Plus, with the Twin Coil you can move the antenna independently from the radio, which adds to its convenience.