What is this ?

terribly wet

I found this around here amongst my old junk. (link)

http://picasaweb.google.com/mtriga/DirectionalAntenna?feat=directlink

I recall it worked quite well.

I only found what is seen in picture.

The ferrite rods if I remember were super-glued together. One section has broken off.

I recall it had a variety of coils for VLF up to HF areas. The only one that remains I think was the MW one. (I seem to remember using that last)

It has an amp section and had a line to feed a receivers antenna jack.

I would like to bring this back from the dead.

Does anybody recall who made it and sold it ??

Specifications ?

I hate to do a complete 'Crime Scene Investigation' of the unit. (I am referring to the TV show where they take everything apart and figure it out)(no crimes involved)

Bob Coomler <w6rjc@...>

I had one of those!  It was made by Radio West and I believe they were in northern San Diego County, CA.

Bob Coomler
Tucson, AZ

I found this around here amongst my old junk. (link)

http://picasaweb.google.com/mtriga/DirectionalAntenna?feat=directlink

I recall it worked quite well.

I only found what is seen in picture.

The ferrite rods if I remember were super-glued together. One section has broken off.

I recall it had a variety of coils for VLF up to HF areas. The only one that remains I think was the MW one. (I seem to remember using that last)

It has an amp section and had a line to feed a receivers antenna jack.

I would like to bring this back from the dead.

Does anybody recall who made it and sold it ??

Specifications ?

I hate to do a complete 'Crime Scene Investigation' of the unit. (I am referring to the TV show where they take everything apart and figure it out)(no crimes involved)

Gary Kinsman

Hello all,

I still have one and still use it. It's called a Radio West Loop. It has a 22" ferrite bar, and has more gain than my Quantum QX Pro Loop (15" ferrite bar), but the Quantum has better nulls.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Bob Coomler <w6rjc@...> wrote:

[...]

Also, as I recall, Ralph Sanserino ran Radio West, but he passed away some time ago.

--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "gkinsman1" <gkinsman@...> wrote:

[...]

bbwrwy

It was made by Radio West. I have one in original condition physically. However, it doesn't work probably a fault in the amplifier circuit.

The ferrite rods were wrapped with vinyl tape. There were three coils for long- and medium wave, as well as lower short wave bands.

The amplifier, employing Field Effect transistors, was quieter than the Space Magnet which used bi-polar transistors. It supposedly had greater gain than other similar antennas of the period. I found its lack of vernier tuning a drawback, after using a Space Magnet for several years.

Recently I've been thinking about repairing the amplifier and using it with the ULR receivers. The fault is probably a failed FET. The operating instructions contained warning about the FETs failing if the coils weren't correctly changed.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)

Bob Coomler <w6rjc@...>

Just got a note back from Randy Seaver, one of the IRCA founding members and co-publisher back in the 1970's (now out of DXing). Radio West was in Escondido, CA and the principals were Grant Manning and John Kolb.  Ralph Sanserino helped with publishing also, so probably helped keep the Radio West kettle stirred as well.  Randy mentioned that all the folks he knew in that capacity have dropped out of sight.

Bob Coomler
Tucson, AZ

--- In ultralightdx@..., Bob Coomler >
> I had one of those!  It was made by Radio West and I believe they were in northern San Diego County, CA.
>
> Bob Coomler
> Tucson, AZ

Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@...>

I haven't checked, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the IRCA reprints service has an article or two on it.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id

AM: Modified Sony ICF 2010 barefoot

Just got a note back from Randy Seaver, one of the IRCA founding members and co-publisher back in the 1970's (now out of DXing). Radio West was in Escondido, CA and the principals were Grant Manning and John Kolb.  Ralph Sanserino helped with publishing also, so probably helped keep the Radio West kettle stirred as well.  Randy mentioned that all the folks he knew in that capacity have dropped out of sight.

Bob Coomler
Tucson, AZ

I still have one and still use it. It's called a Radio West Loop. It has a 22" ferrite bar, and has more gain than my Quantum QX Pro Loop (15" ferrite bar), but the Quantum has better nulls.

Regards,
Gary

--- In ultralightdx@..., Bob Coomler >
> I had one of those!  It was made by Radio West and I believe they were in northern San Diego County, CA.
>
> Bob Coomler
> Tucson, AZ

Looking through some old publications here I came across the "Ferrite Loop Antenna Instructions" that accompanied the Radio West MW1. Their address was 3417 Purer Road, Escondido CA 92505.

Someone at Radio West had written across the top "Do Not twist output cable to remove it from 'OUP' jack on preamp, lead inside will break." This maybe why mine isn't working. It also has the precaution "This is an instrument. Treat it gently."

It also states: "To use the loop on any communications receiver, first disconnect any other antennas that feed the set. The RADIO WEST ferrite loop will not operate properly with other antennas connected. The loop is designed to operate into a single-ended unbalanced antenna input....."

"A Dxer's Technical Guide" published by the IRCA in 1980 makes mention of the antenna. The MW1 sold for $100, "and the optional coils are LW, $10, SW, $8". It further says "for a more thorough comparison of the SM-2 and MW-1, see Mark Connelly's 'A DX Evaluation of the MW-1 vs. the SM-2 ferrite loop antenna" in the technical column in DX Monitor of 19 May 1979. I'm certain that issue is boxed away somewhere in my attic.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)

terribly wet

Hey..thanks everybody...

I would like to rehab mine.

It seems like the thing could be reproduced if somebody took the time and attention.

BUT--mystery parts ?? Values of the ferrite bars ?

The pre-amp. Sure could use a schematic as to parts and circuit.

I don't think I used mine much before it got 'packed away' for a long time. All I remember it was good for nulling local ground wave. --and the thing is not that big....(convenience)

Maybe there is some reference to such as mentioned..back copies, etc. Ferrite Bars, pre-amp....wood....It would be nice to even know the values of the coils.(I mean electrical values)