Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 9-19

Gary DeBock

Hello All,

It was another China morning here, with moderate signals showing up on various new frequencies like 684 and 1044 kHz. There were no dramatic fade-ins (like yesterday's 657-China) and signals in general were not at yesterday's strong levels, but the morning was another indication of shifting propagation bringing more Chinese areas into play. The Japanese and Korean stations seemed a little down in strength compared to previous days, though, and "big gun" TP audio didn't sound very big this morning.

Rare decent audio on 684 kHz was observed here for the first time this season around 1330 (apparent Chinese), and CRI on 1044 kHz had its best signal of the season so far with its Japanese language program around 1335. The CNR1 stations on 639 and 756 had their best audio so far, and 927 and 936 kHz took turns producing fair audio. In comparison to these, audio from the other typically strong Asians on 603, 648, 657, 666, 675 and 738 was off in strength a little, and the NHK stations weren't especially vibrant.

One interesting find around 1325 was a strong, ragged carrier on 702 kHz (a frequency with severe 710-Seattle splatter here), which sounded like a typical (rickety) North Korean transmitter. No TP has ever been logged on 702 (or 711) here because of the oppressive KIRO splatter, but the 702 kHz signal disappeared right after the huge 9' loop was wrestled around in an optimistic attempt to null KIRO (easier said than done :-) It's great to have Walt's TP reports back from Masset-- a location in a completely different Asiatic propagation league than Puyallup!

The following were received on a C.Crane SWP Slider model (7.5" loopstick) inductively coupled to a 9' sided PVC tuned passive loop in the back yard:

594  JOAK  Tokyo, Japan  Fair-good with Japanese conversation around 1312
603  TP-Mix  UnID Chinese station having the edge over HLSA Korean at 1308
639  CNR1  (Many stations in China) Fair-good Chinese speech and music, 1338
648  VOR  Razdolnoye, Russia  Chinese program at fair strength w/ fades, 1321
657  Pyongyang BS, N. Korea  All alone this morning but usually at fair strength
666  JOBK  Osaka, Japan In and out with Japanese speech at anemic strength
675  VOV  Hanoi, Vietnam  Fair Vietnamese signals in 680 splatter, 1318
684  UnID  Fair Chinese speech fading in suddenly around 1337; first Asian audio
         heard on this frequency since last season, but no ID clues
702  UnID  Strong ragged carrier presumed from NK, but too much KIRO splatter
         at 1325 to dig out the funky audio
738  BEL2  Penghu, Taiwan Fair Chinese speech over a presumed HKLG in
         this typical September mix
747  JOIB  Sapporo, Japan  Fair-good signals no match for KXL splatter at 1323
756  CNR1 China  Fair-good Chinese program at 1335, best sigs of season so far
774  JOUB  Akita, Japan NHK2 program barely audible in severe KTTH slop, 1311
783  UnID  Threshold audio (apparently Chinese) showing up on this frequency
891  TP-Mix  An anonymous collection of weak TP stations drowning each other out
927  China (presumed)  Weak to fair Chinese program fading in and out repeatedly
936  China (presumed)  Slightly stronger than 927 with Chinese speech at 1318
972  HLCA  Dangjin, S. Korea  Weaker than usual with Korean program at 1337
1035  China (presumed)  Fair-good Chinese speech and music for most of morning
1044 CRI  Jiangsu, China  Good signals (best of season) with Japanese language
          external program at 1335
1053  Korean Jammer  Not as vibrant as usual this morning, but no TP co-channels
1134  TP-Mix  A typical snarl of JOQR and KBS at good strength around 1338
1377  China (presumed)  In and out with poor to fair audio for most of morning
1566  HLAZ  Jeju, S. Korea  Good strength with Japanese religious program at 1306
1575  VOA  Ban Rassom, Thailand  Fair Asiatic language audio around 1302
1593  China (presumed)  Threshold audio with deep fades for most of morning

73 and Good DX,
Gary DeBock

Kevin S <satya@...>

Another impressive list, Gary! I hope you don't get too wet standing
under your skyscraper loop every morning - maybe take a couple more pieces
of PVC and put an awning on it :-)

I second what Brice P. said earlier - what a difference 40 miles makes, as
your list is quite different from mine in some regards. 837-China was in
good here as it was with Bruce, and 693 was easily the best of the JJ big
guns here. 1287-JJ was pretty good at times as well. I heard two
stations on 657, judging by the dueling hets, but again 660-KAPS foiled
any plans to hear them; I have reversed the direction of my super loop to
have a northward null, so perhaps things will be easier tomorrow.
1566-HLAZ was good all morning, but 1575 was but a light het.

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

[...]

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your comments on the TP-DX reports, and of course I knew that these that these monster loops would be strictly outdoor animals in rainy western Washington, so they were designed with some serious weather protection.

Like I was telling Bruce on the IRCA list, even Guy Atkins (4 miles away to the SE, in Puyallup) and I have major differences in our TP-DXing results, with Guy pulling in far more high-band TP's and me pulling in more low-band TP's. Part of this may be related to our soil differences (he's on a rocky hill, while I'm in a fertile river valley), but the main reason may be our completely different antenna systems. The 9' PVC Loop (like all tuned passive loops) has its highest "Q" and best performance on the lower tuned frequencies, and its combination of very high gain and single-frequency optimization can be fairly potent from 530 kHz up to about 900 kHz. In comparison to single-loop directional antennas (like those used by Guy and Bruce), the 9' PVC loop loses this relative advantage when tuning the higher AM frequencies, and both of these DXers can routinely receive high-band TP audio that doesn't show up here. So it's essentially a bizarre situation where the 9' PVC loop seems to be an overachiever on the lower AM frequencies, and an underachiever (relative to Flags, Pennants, K9AY's, etc.) on the higher AM frequencies. Guy and I have known about the strange differences in our TP-DXing results for some time, and plan some additional tests on this fascinating subject as rare free time allows.

73, Gary

In a message dated 9/19/2010 4:31:43 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, satya@... writes:

> [...]

> 1337
> 1035 China (presumed) Fair-good Chinese speech and music for most of
> morning
> 1044 CRI Jiangsu, China Good signals (best of season) with Japanese
> language
> external program at 1335
> 1053 Korean Jammer Not as vibrant as usual this morning, but no TP
> co-channels
> 1134 TP-Mix A typical snarl of JOQR and KBS at good strength around
> 1338
> 1377 China (presumed) In and out with poor to fair audio for most of
> morning
> 1566 HLAZ Jeju, S. Korea Good strength with Japanese religious program
> at 1306
> 1575 VOA Ban Rassom, Thailand Fair Asiatic language audio around 1302
> 1593 China (presumed) Threshold audio with deep fades for most of

bbwrwy

Gary:

I'd not planned to DX this morning, but awoke early enough to hear a few TP signals. While nothing spectacular was heard it was as always a thrill to hear medium wave signals from the Orient. All were logged using a PL-310 and 7.5" loop stick.

594 JOAK, Tokyo J, fair, readable audio at 1203 UTC, fading away at 1211. The first JOAK audio this season.
648 Unid., slight het noted at 1210 and 1212.
693 JOAB, Tokyo J, fair, readable audio in KGGF and Unid. 690 splash at 1206-1210. The first time this season.
774 JOUB, Akita J, fair, readable at 1208-1214, fading away afterward (local sunrise 1215).
828 Presumed JOBB, slight het at 1214.
972 Presumed HLCA, very strong hat 1144.

I checked 567, 657, 666, 747, 1053, 1134 and 1566 several times hearing nothing.

I'm sure any listener west of the Mississippi River could have heard JOAK, JOAB and JOUB this morning. They were also audible on a barefoot PL-310. The only difficult part of hearing TP's is getting out of bed when you're awaken by the alarm clock!

Good DX everyone.

Richard.

Richard Allen
36°22'51"N / 97°26'35"W
(near Perry OK USA)

[...]

HI Richard--

You really are doing great-- those TP frequencies weren't all that strong on the west coast yesterday morning.

You certainly have been getting great TP "mileage" from your PL-310 + 7.5" loopstick combo, and with the new season just starting to provide its best Asiatic propagation, you should have a lot more excitement in store. Hopefully others will join you (and me) in the peak season TP bonanza!

73, Gary

In a message dated 9/19/2010 5:58:13 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, richarda@... writes:

> [...]

> 972 HLCA Dangjin, S. Korea Weaker than usual with Korean program at 1337
> 1035 China (presumed) Fair-good Chinese speech and music for most of
> morning
> 1044 CRI Jiangsu, China Good signals (best of season) with Japanese
> language
> external program at 1335
> 1053 Korean Jammer Not as vibrant as usual this morning, but no TP
> co-channels
> 1134 TP-Mix A typical snarl of JOQR and KBS at good strength around 1338
> 1377 China (presumed) In and out with poor to fair audio for most of
> morning
> 1566 HLAZ Jeju, S. Korea Good strength with Japanese religious program
> at 1306
> 1575 VOA Ban Rassom, Thailand Fair Asiatic language audio around 1302
> 1593 China (presumed) Threshold audio with deep fades for most of

wa8lcz

hi gary,

have you tried tapping off a few turns on your 9 ft loop for the higher freqs (1000 to 1700 kc)? I use 2 turns for hi freqs and 6 turns for low freqs (530-1000 kc) on my 34 inch loop and it works pretty well, across the entire band. you could use a relay to select 2 or 6 turns.

byron

satya@... writes:

[...]

Hi Byron,

Thanks for your suggestion. Yes, I've done a few experiments by tapping off some turns, and using switches both for reduced coil inductance, and for adding capacitance to lower a loop's tuning frequency. I haven't yet run A/B DX signal reception tests to determine how well these modified loops stack up against the fully-symmetrical models, but there is a lot more experimentation that could be done. Since the largest PVC loops are always outside, everything must be waterproofed, and made as secure as possible to withstand heavy wind.

After my initial experimentation to develop the large-size (6' sided and larger) PVC Loops in the spring of last year, most of the additional work has been to develop practical portable PVC Loops, which can be quickly disassembled to fit inside a compact car trunk for DXpeditions. There is a world of additional experimentation that could be done with these cheap and effective antennas, which I personally believe hold the greatest potential for making Ultralight radios very competitive with table receivers in all-out DXing (at least here on the west coast :-).

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA)

In a message dated 9/20/2010 5:30:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, wa8lcz@... writes:

> [...]

> > 1337
> > 1035 China (presumed) Fair-good Chinese speech and music for most of
> > morning
> > 1044 CRI Jiangsu, China Good signals (best of season) with Japanese
> > language
> > external program at 1335
> > 1053 Korean Jammer Not as vibrant as usual this morning, but no TP
> > co-channels
> > 1134 TP-Mix A typical snarl of JOQR and KBS at good strength around
> > 1338
> > 1377 China (presumed) In and out with poor to fair audio for most of
> > morning
> > 1566 HLAZ Jeju, S. Korea Good strength with Japanese religious program
> > at 1306
> > 1575 VOA Ban Rassom, Thailand Fair Asiatic language audio around 1302
> > 1593 China (presumed) Threshold audio with deep fades for most of

Gary DeBock

Hi Byron,

Thanks for the additional information on your loop's reception capability.

In the absence of detailed A/B testing using calibrated test equipment nobody can really give you any scientific evidence which loop system gives better performance (multiple turns with a 365 pf variable capacitor, or fewer turns with an 1150 pf capacitor), but I do know that the 9' PVC loop in its current configuration is fully competitive in DXing gain with single-loop directional antennas (of typical residential size) on the lower AM frequencies, even when the PVC loop is used with Ultralights and the single-loop antennas are used with the latest table receivers. Last November the 9' PVC loop here received an apparent all-time new TP for the west coast (594-KBS1), which none of the TP-DXing authorities on the west coast can ever recall having been received in North America previously (even during Grayland and Queen Charlotte Island ocean beach DXpeditions, in far superior DXing locations). About 5 different MP3's of that station's Korean signals (mixing with 594-JOAK) were recorded here.

The main reason why this huge PVC loop antenna design will never be universally popular is the gigantic size, making it a hard sell with XYL's and neighbors :-)

73, Gary

      In a message dated 9/20/2010 6:30:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, wa8lcz@... writes:

HI GARY,

If the relay shorted out the unused turns, in this case 4 turns, then the remaining 2 turns with the same var cap, is very efficient, at receiving the top end of the band. i copied a 1kw signal from NJ to MI at 1680kc. because of local noise and an indoor antenna, it took me a year to log WTTM. I've been using this setup on different loops for a year. my thinking is: use the smallest number of turns with a large var cap 1150pf, this cuts down on total wire resistance and losses. I see you use a small var cap 365pf and more turns. wonder which system is best ?

byron

satya@ writes:

> [...]

1337
1035 China (presumed) Fair-good Chinese speech and music for most of
morning
1044 CRI Jiangsu, China Good signals (best of season) with Japanese
language
external program at 1335
1053 Korean Jammer Not as vibrant as usual this morning, but no TP
co-channels
1134 TP-Mix A typical snarl of JOQR and KBS at good strength around
1338
1377 China (presumed) In and out with poor to fair audio for most of
morning
1566 HLAZ Jeju, S. Korea Good strength with Japanese religious program
at 1306
1575 VOA Ban Rassom, Thailand Fair Asiatic language audio around 1302
1593 China (presumed) Threshold audio with deep fades for most of

Hi all:

My understanding of antenna theory is that the signal (in mV) is
proportional to both the area of the loop and the number of turns. So, if
ones doubles the number of turns, the signal should be about 3 dB higher
[10 * log(2)]. I have found this to be generally true in a lot of
different contexts.

However, with very large loops such as Gary's, all that wire resistance
and distributed capacitance may start to noticeably degrade the signal,
and fewer turns therefore more desirable?

Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA

satya@ writes:

> [...]

of
morning
1044 CRI Jiangsu, China Good signals (best of season) with Japanese
language
external program at 1335
1053 Korean Jammer Not as vibrant as usual this morning, but no TP
co-channels
1134 TP-Mix A typical snarl of JOQR and KBS at good strength around
1338
1377 China (presumed) In and out with poor to fair audio for most
of
morning
1566 HLAZ Jeju, S. Korea Good strength with Japanese religious
program
at 1306
1575 VOA Ban Rassom, Thailand Fair Asiatic language audio around
1302
1593 China (presumed) Threshold audio with deep fades for most of

pianoplayer88key

Also, could that be a reason why I never see loop antennas specifying a wire length equal to the wavelength of the lowest frequency to be tuned, or is there another reason for that? I don't have enough room for a true beverage in my back yard, but I do have room for a loop a few dozen feet in diameter, and am at least a few miles from an airport.... but then there's the question of how to reject the several-hundred-millivolt signals a few kHz away from the signals I'm trying to pull up off the atmospheric noise floor, or, for example, how to dig JOAK-594's groundwave (saltwater path) out from between KOGO-600 8 miles west of me and its IBOC sideband... (I probably wouldn't be trying to transport that loop to a friend's house near Monrovia / Arcadia, CA, who are 1/2 mile from KDIS-1110, making DXing TPs on 1107 and 1116kHz all but impossible on my stock PL-380.)